Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Why not charge a little???

I just saw this post in kijiji in my area that a person is giving away free puppies because her female had a litter of 12 puppies and she is just giving them away. This pains me too see because they are beautiful puppies and she should charge a little bit of money just to ensure that the puppies are well taken care of ... My opinion is this ... If you dont have the money to pay for a puppy then you dont have the money to properly take care of the puppy ... What are your thoughts??

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-...AdIdZ215733013
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I normally email those people to let them know what happens to "free to a good home" pups....then ask them to please charge a small fee even....
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM

I do too ... I sent an email to her as well to the other 4 free animal ads that was posted just this morning but I doubt they will email me back
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

most times I get quite nasty replies...but maybe 1 out f 10 will thank me for the info and I'll notice their ad is changed...so even if just one charges...
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thank you both!

Since your in this area could either of you refer her to a rescue whom you approve of - or contact the rescue and forward them her ad? Momma should also be a concern ... time to have her spayed
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Thank you Golden .. I had not thought of that ... I will go do that right now actually
Thanks again
Julie
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

good idea GG, never thought of that!! not sure I know any rescues in that area, but I'll check around
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Melinda ... I get a lot of nasty replies telling me I should mind m business and if I were so against it I should take them in all myself and a few times I did and brought them to one of my local SPCA because they have a 0 (zero) kill rate but unfortunately now they charge you to bring the animal in and I dont have the resources to take-in all those animals
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

lilsis, it appears the ad has been removed. man, they even have a free femaled spayed brindle boxer....wish I had more room.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I guess they didnt like my email or all their puppies have been picked up ... So sad for the puppies
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
I guess they didnt like my email or all their puppies have been picked up ... So sad for the puppies
OR, maybe you got her to realize the risk of posting free puppies Hopefully she'll try to find good homes on her own
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:29 AM

I hope and pray that is so GG
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

When answering Kijiji ads it is very important to go gently with the education and not like a bull in a china shop. Give the people the cons about posting like this and also provide them with options. List names of rescue groups to contact as well as shelters in their vacinity. I normally get a response back with a thank you and they never knew about rescue groups. I have even gotten dogs that they were charging for but when I explained about the dangers of intact animals possibly going to puppymills or laboratories, the response I get back is nothing short of gratitude in knowing what could happen.

I can honestly say that I get positive feedback for about 50% of the ads I answer. Out of those, I may get 25% of these dogs or cats that I then forward and transport to rescues.

It's all in the approach.

Having the ad removed is not a victory as now you must wonder what happened to the 12 puppies. It is impossible that they went in one day. I guess we will never know and hope for the best.
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:19 PM

In my email to her I stated very nicely that she could charge a small fee to keep the bad people away or even the good people who want a puppy but cant afford to take them to a vet for shots or even regular check ups. I was in no way a bully and even sent the link to my local SPCA (no kill shelter) and two SPCA near her. Within 1 hr of her posting her ad there already was 7 puppies gone so it would not surprise me if all of them are gone or she contacted one of the SPCA numbers I sent her she had good mix dogs, they were rotti-dob-and something else (dont remember) so am almost certain they are all gone now
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
In my email to her I stated very nicely that she could charge a small fee to keep the bad people away or even the good people who want a puppy but cant afford to take them to a vet for shots or even regular check ups. I was in no way a bully and even sent the link to my local SPCA (no kill shelter) and two SPCA near her. Within 1 hr of her posting her ad there already was 7 puppies gone so it would not surprise me if all of them are gone or she contacted one of the SPCA numbers I sent her she had good mix dogs, they were rotti-dob-and something else (dont remember) so am almost certain they are all gone now
Good for you! Great job!
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I sent her the posting on the bad side of free pups, told her to charge a donation to the spca if it made her feel better.....I've been educating people for years on the hazards of free pups being used as bait dogs,labratory dogs...never was a "bold in your face" type person....
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
An Honest Contributor

I'm sure Lilsis & Melinda you both did fine Obviously this was an "oops" litter (unlike the other kijiji ad I contacted who was, can't say a ** so a byb and for the record I was also very nice, anywayyys) She probably was just desperate/overwhelmed. Maybe one of the Spca's you contacted offered to take them for her. We may never know but her removal of the ad speaks volume so thank you's
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with that desperate/overwhelmed bit. I'm glad you all take a gentle approach because by this stage, after looking after so many pups, she probably wishes she could pay people to take them. I dare say she won't let this happen again after this experience either. Big litters are so exhausting. It may be why some people aren't very receptive to your well meant advice too.
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks goldfields *S*
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM

I don't understand why people allow their pets to get pregnant in the first place? Since there are so many abandoned animals everywhere and a lot of them are getting euthanized!!! You can get them spayed and neutered at low cost at the local veterinary college. Someone paying for a pet is not a guarantee that the pet will be well taken care of. It is dangerous to give unnutered pets to the public, as they may use them for breeding or sell them for research. I ALSO DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY CRAIG'S AND KIJJI'S LISTS ALLOW PEOPLE TO USE THEIR FORUM FOR FREE ADVERTISING FOR BREEDING AND SELLING ANIMALS FOR PROFIT?????.
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Our new pup actually came to us under these circumstances as the pups/add described by the OP....but we got homes for the 3 pups from the litter & gave the young guy who owned mom enough money (for the "free' pups) between the 3 of us to get mama spayed......hopefully he'll follow through with it!! He sure didn't seem interested in anymore litters.....
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:16 AM

Well Jakes-mom it was a very good thing you did but I highly doubt he would of gotten the momma fixed ... this is something we will never know unless you go there and check things out You are very big-hearted Thank you. I do not have a problem with Craigs list or kijiji because I got my new puppy from the kijiji site but I did pay for him. I just don't like the fact that people don't get their animal fixed and then just give those poor little babies away and don't care about their future and then still don't get their animal fixed