Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM

itchy, flaky golden girl

I have a golden who will be 2 yrs. old next month. This past summer she developed itchy, flaky skin. Her skin has been in a constant state of flaking since then. After taking her to the vet, he concluded that it is not fleas nor scabies (which the vet initially thought). This condition has persisted with several more vet visits. On different occasions, she was prescribed an antibiotic as well as prednisone, but neither one made a difference. Her thyroid was also tested & came back normal. As a puppy, her food was Pro Plan chicken & rice. When this problem began we tried Science diet lamb & rice, then duck & potato and now Nature’s Variety instinct rabbit formula. In addition to this skin problem, she has always been a very gassy dog, burping & passing gas frequently. Does anyone have any suggestions which might really help my girl?
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry you have to go through this. My golden of 15 yrs had this. It's probably allergies to food or environment. There is a member that has good experience, she'll answer more thoroughly. If you try a new food, stay on for 12 weeks no treats. Maybe try a grain free "Acana fish". There are meds called Atopica. Very expensive, try everything before going on steroids. I have a terrier now going through this.
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Two other things you might want to try: First, a probiotic. You can get them quite cheaply at discount stores and they can work wonder. Second, you might want to try some fish oil supplements. Omega-3s help keep the skin and hair well-conditioned. One of our hypothyroid dogs was developing itchy skin each winter and the fish oil helped immensely!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Pet Guardian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Two other things you might want to try: First, a probiotic. You can get them quite cheaply at discount stores and they can work wonder. Second, you might want to try some fish oil supplements. Omega-3s help keep the skin and hair well-conditioned. One of our hypothyroid dogs was developing itchy skin each winter and the fish oil helped immensely!
I agree. You can give your dog probiotics made for humans but be careful which ones you buy. I buy the Solgar ABCdophilus powder and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon directly onto the food - mix it in (made for human babies). This should help alot with the gas. Omega 3 capusules can be pierced with a needle and the liquid squeezed onto the food as well - altho some dogs may not eat it b/c of the smell. Another option is to put the omega pill into a piece of cheese and have your dog eat it.

I would try this for 60 days. I would also stay on the nature variety INSTINCT rabbit or venison for 60 days straight.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

I definately agree with the suggestion to try adding some probiotics to her meals and also possibly a fish oil. One thing I did notice was that when looking at the ingredients of Natures Variety Rabbit it does use chicken fat. If your dog has a poulty issue then the fat could be the culprit although often well tolerated. Has she been on the Rabbit for long, have you noticed any improvements? If it isn't working then I agree with suggesting you give a fish based food a try. Orijen Fish is a great product http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products...gredients.aspx and does not use chicken fat. There are some others including Acana but I would suggest you closely examine the ingredients to try to eliminate the proteins and fats you have used in previous dog foods if possible.

Another alternative you might try is a switch to a raw food diet. My lab Lucy had a horrible allergy period when she was younger until I switched to a raw food diet. Interestingly a lot of proteins that dogs don't do well on as a kibble diet are just fine when fed as a raw diet . If you do go raw then pick a protein (perhaps turkey or beef?) and stick solely with that for a few weeks before trying another. Idealy you will work up to an assortment that your dog can eat.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

I had a Golden, 13+ years ( m) and she too had a terrible skin irritation until we treated her with a Zinc supplement when she was young. http://www.lincolnbiotech.com/

In addition to the Zinc treats, we also had her professionally groomed in May which lasted her through the summer months relieving her of skin irritations and hot spots.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Pet Guardian

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...allergies.html
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
-

dspencer, I don't have anything to add but just wondered if you have tried any of the suggestions given to you?