Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 15th, 2016, 07:30 AM

Choosing a vet. Wait. What?

(Mods, if I've posted this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.)

We lost Truman, our 11 year old possibly-Kelpie-mostly-mutt, to HSA this week. I'm nowhere close to being ready for a new dog, but I know we will eventually adopt again. My problem is I've been unhappy with my current vet for a little while now, and would rather use a new vet with a new dog. When I adopt, though, the paperwork will ask me for my vet's information. I know I can always use my old vet information, but I would really like to establish a relationship with the doctor and staff before I get a dog. Does that make sense? How does one go about shopping for a vet with no pet? Will they think I'm a crazy person? What types of questions should I ask?
Old April 15th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Best advice is always getting a personal referral from someone you trust.

If that isn't possible, I don't know if this is useful, but perhaps start off with a general vet rating site like http://www.vetratingz.com/

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 15th, 2016, 04:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry about Truman, Staciewells1!

I think it's awesome that you want to establish the relationship before you get a dog, but you might want to touch bases with the organization you intend to adopt from, if you know it, because they may prefer to contact the old vet, as well. It will give them history about your relationship with Truman.

As for a new clinic, if they think you're crazy when you approach them, you need to keep looking! They should be accommodating to potential customers--it's just good business! Some clinics will even give you a tour of the facilities, but at the very least, you'll want to meet face-to-face with at least one of the vets. You can learn a lot just from talking to the staff at the front desk, too.

As to questions, what's important to you? Vaccination schedules, diet, services offered, fees? What sorts of things made you unhappy with your old vet? Ask about how they handle those things at the new place. Make up a list of questions before you go and use it as a starting point. If you feel uncomfortable with the answers, try a different clinic...

I hope you find a good clinic close to you, and best of luck when you finally get to the point of adoption! I hope you intend to post lots of puppy pics when you do!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Best advice is always getting a personal referral from someone you trust.

If that isn't possible, I don't know if this is useful, but perhaps start off with a general vet rating site like http://www.vetratingz.com/

Good luck!
I agree with marko, I was going to post the same advice that he did .
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the fast responses. This whole process is overwhelming! That is a great site.
Back to lurking for a while. As usual, I'll be back when I need you guys!
Old April 16th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciewells1 View Post
Thanks for the fast responses. This whole process is overwhelming! That is a great site.
Back to lurking for a while. As usual, I'll be back when I need you guys!
I agree , this is a great site ! I think it the best one that I use.
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My condolences on your recent loss of Truman.

REscues I know, and I volunteer with one, ask for your Vet information as a check on how good a pet parent you have been in the past. You are under no obligation to stay with the Vet you say cared for your last pet just because you honestly say who cared for your last pet. That may not be the case everywhere but it is in my experience.
Old April 24th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually think that you can't really establish a relationship until you are working with the vet, and that usually means that you are bringing your pet to them. You can however have an initial meeting, or phone call. I do agree with HRP that you need to decide on your philosophy of diet, vaccination, health, etc., and then find a vet that matches that.