Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM

Angry I'm Fat, So Is Kenzie

As most of you know, Kenzie graduated from her Conformation Classes and we were at our first show in Woodstock today with her and our breeder. Good news is she did wonderfully technically, the stacking, standing for exam, her top line was perfect as was her movement. She even happily showed her teeth perfectly. Did everything perfect...so what's the problem? A big one, and one I should have been more on top of. She's overweight, way overweight. I know the breed standard for females is 65 pls, Kenzie is 77 lbs at 8 months. I know it's my fault. The poor thing worked soooo hard to get all the technical stuff down pat and I ruined it for her by getting used to seeing her day after day and not notice the weight slowly going on I'm soooo angry at myself. I ruined it I think because we were training sooooo hard I used lots of praise....but also Rollover in small amounts. But when you figure 2 sessions a day, every day, yep the weight goes on.

Our Breeder was there and have suggested, even given us a bag of Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovie/Salmon dog food, only 1 cup twice a day and fresh green beens. That's it. She was eating the Eagle Pack Regular Gold Brand 3 cups a day, yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots, peas, and of course her treat of Rollover for training with lots of praise. Well it sure worked on the training part, but now she's considered way over weight.

I feel sooooo guilty, why didn't I notice this gradual weight gain? I even asked the vet and he said she was healthy, and with proper feeling, could feel her ribs. I should have pick up on the "with proper feeling" part I guess, yes he could feel them UNDER the fat I guess. I thought she was just big boned, I was wrong. God I feel soooo bad. Anyone hear of this holistic food and green bean diet?
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM

To notice weight gain, you have to see somebody once every 3 months. That person will notice. It's too gradual sometimes to see the change day to day. Do you know the proper curves? Like how the belly is supposed to curve from the rib cage up to the hip joint?
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

If your dog is overweight, you need more exercise.
Sorry, couldn't resist that one. No but really, it is really hard to see weight gain when youre with someone daily. Thats why whenever I go home and see my parents, they're much quicker to tell me that I've gained/lost weight than any of my friends that I see daily. When i first got layla, I swore she didn't grow at all. I thought at 7 months she was the same size as she was at 3 months. It took everyone who didnt see her all the time to tell me that she had indeed grown. But never fear, dogs lose weight pretty easily.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
But never fear, dogs lose weight pretty easily
Heh heh, if they're not labs, maybe.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:55 PM
banned user

My dog is over weight as well, andI had no idea. I thought she was the perfect weight, untill my vet pointed it out to me.
We cut her food back in March and yet in June, she had gained .3 lbs. Seems my mother gave her more treats to make up for the less food. GRRR
I corrected that, and Justice has already lost .7 lbs since cutting back her food and increasing her excersize. I am lucky as she was only 3 - 5 lbs over wieght
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Yes Prin, thank you, I even thought I could see the infamous "tuck up" they showed me beforehand. Unfortunately I'm blinded by love, lol and didn't see the rolls, lol Here she is, tell me what you think oh and BTW, I know breeders like their dogs to be thin, taking that into consideration It's not a very good pic though
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Performance Spaniels

I've been playing with dog food lately. Yet again. Not cause my dog doesn't eat what she's give.. but because what I want seems to never be in stock when I go..

I was feeding Wellness duck/ sweet potatoe, but they didn't have any so I got the salmon etc Eagle Pack Holistic. The holistic line is good, and the normal line is cheap in comparison for ingredients..

My only problem with that bag is it is awfully laden with salt due to the anchovy, salmon and there's another fish as the top 3 ingredients... Other than that it seems okay.. but I'll be going back to Wellness after this bag.

Don't beat yourself up over the weight thing. I'm sure now that you know you'll work on it and you'll be in great shape with her in no time!
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM

I drew in the curve as best I could. There's a bit below, but not too much. I'll post my best one of Jemma's belly next.
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Jemma's belly just to give you an idea.. (It's a cruddy pic)
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

your dog looks like the classic "stocky" husky, if that makes sense. I mean I would say a little heavy, but thats only because my dog is a stick, and according to everyone ive asked, always will be unless I stop running her, and start feeding her a bag of food a day... but that's the best way i can describe it, there are the dogs that people run with who tend to be lanky, and the dogs who don't run, who tend to be a little stockier, not necessarily fat, but yeah... bulky.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM

That's an issue I encounter at the dog park-- try to convince an owner of an English Lab that their dog could lose a few pounds. They believe the breed is just built that way. No matter how a dog is built (other than weiner doggies and maybe basset hounds), they should always have the curves. If the belly is horizontal or close to horizontal, your dog is overweight-- regardless of the breed.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I always feel bad for the really overweight dogs, it's cruel. But then again, people tell me I'm starving my dog (which I deffinately am not, but when there's whippet in your dog, its hard for it not have a TINY waist)
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks so much Prin. So you mean the stomach should go from the bottom of the line to the top? Like lipsucktion to get everything else erased? lol

Puppluv...huskys are different builds than Alaskan Malamutes, but thanks for the input
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Oh, I know-- a couple at our park have a dog that just will not put on weight. I feel bad for them getting comments all the time.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry, skimmed a little to fast, not too sure why i subbed husky in... whoops
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1233
Thanks so much Prin. So you mean the stomach should go from the bottom of the line to the top?
Basically draw a line from the last rib up to the hip joints. That's the line the belly should have.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM

Thanks Prin. See this site is sooooo great, no one called me a bad owner, or made me feel shame (although I've been in tears knowing I did this to her) esp after all the hard work she always generously gave into. THANK YOU ALL, THIS IS WHAT THIS SITE IS ABOUT :grouphug
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:21 PM

LOL bad dog owner. Are you kidding? Tell that to the owner of two labs who weight 160lbs EACH. Or my grandmother's old chi whose belly dragged on the ground. A bad dog owner wouldn't have asked.
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey..Hey..Shannon, I couldn't help noticing you bashing yourself.

Please don't.

Your dog looks wonderfully taken care of--happy and loved.

the extra weight will come off, you're doing al the right things, and HEY! No digs at yourself either!! We are ALL rare beauties, here at Pets.ca!!!

say it.

"We are all rare beauties, here at Pets.ca"

Thank you.

k, I'm goin' t' bed.
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:10 PM

K. I'll say it too.
We are all rare beauties, here at Pets.ca.
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
banned user

here is a (bad) pic of Justice. She has a good curve, but not good enough. about 3 lbs overweight now (I weighed her tonight, I am very bored)
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Hey! That's Jemma's favorite Kong!!
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:43 PM
banned user

Justice's too Its the puppy kong .. shes never gotten through it so i figured, why replace it for another one? Its her fave toy, only cuz she gets treats in it.
We were trying to convince her to stand for me. but thats my aunt holding the kong, and everything is game when Auntie is involved.

Last edited by Safyre; July 9th, 2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typing gets worse as the night go on
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Thank you all for understanding I feel bad about my own weight, and I guess doing it to her, I felt even worse. I mistyped my original post, this wasn't the first show, she had won in Kitchener Fergus, I meant the first day of Woodstock/Oxford County. She's in again today and even though we know she won't win because of the weight, she LOVES it soooo much. She just perks right up when she's in that atmosphere so we're letting her go today. The breeder has taken her out for the rest of the summer though, so I guess I'll have to set up a ring in my back yard for her to enjoy, lol

Thanks again all, Prin and Safyre, thanks so much for the pics, they really helped! Twinmommey, thanks, I'll have to try to remember that

Let's hope the weight comes off as quickly and easily as it went on. Who am I kidding, it never does, does it
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Safyre,the only one that looks bored in your pic is the kitty
Justice looks beautiful!!
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Hey Shannon-- you didn't say it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
say it.

"We are all rare beauties, here at Pets.ca"

Thank you
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Safyre,the only one that looks bored in your pic is the kitty
Justice looks beautiful!!
Thanks Chico... I didn't even realize Zeppo was in the pic till I read you're msg. I guess she does look a lil bored!
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Talking Ok Prin

Ok Prin,

You are all rare beauties, here at Pets.ca
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

What!?!?!? It's supposed to be WE. WEEEEEE.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Smile

LOL, okay, let me lose 20 pounds then I'll go "WEWEWEWEWE all the way home" Damn thyroid, it's not easy, I'll throw a big party here when it happens