Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Cats going through airport security

Hi everybody!
I'm making a move out west with my 2 fur balls and planning to fly with them in the cabin with my dad. I was wondering if anybody can share their experiences, particularly going through airport security?

I read that you have to take the animal out of the carrier and pass through detector with the animal while the carrier goes through the xray machine. This scares me a bit. I'm sure my cats will be freaked out already but one of them is particularly squirmy and bendy so I worry that she will escape my hands. And then there is the task of getting them back into the carrier!!

I will be flying out of Toronto Pearson if that makes a difference. Anybody have any experiences to share?

Thank you!
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I have sent a few pitbulls out to rescues in another province. The dogs have to be removed from the crate and they did scan them. Also, the crate was scanned.

I have to say that the airport was wonderful however when checking the animals out. They did it carefully and respectfully.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Something I would suggest is: train your fur babies to a harness, have the leash attached, and when taken out, make sure the loop is in your hand, that way, the cat won't get to far. Also, leave the harness/leash on, until you get where you are going. I do this when I visit the vet as well, that way, my kitty is always under my control.

Maybe ask ahead, if security could do that off to the side, or in a room, as the cats are skitty. All they can say is no, and then try to be first in the line at security, so the cats aren't freaked out with everyone about.

I had to go and meet my late hubby at the airport with my dogs one time, and it was freezing out, I put them in a kennel, and one of those luggage carts, however, while I was waiting for the hubby, lots would come up and ask me to see them.

Have to say tho, when hubby came and they saw him, it was kiiiiikiiiikiiiii. Lots of folks turned around to look then. Had to take them out of the kennel before they would settle down, again thankfully, I had harnesses/leashes on them, and they didn't run anywhere.

Good Luck,
binkybuff
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
NOT a senior member

Well you are in luck...I am a Pre-Board Screening Officer and screen pets all the time. Usually the pet is taken out of the carrier, then the passenger carries the pet through the walk through metal detector. This is just the fastest way.

If you are concerned at all about your cat getting squirmy, just tell the person at the front position (who greets you, and checks your boarding pass) that you would prefer to go into the private search room and take your cat out there because he may try to escape. If the front person does not understand (they may be a new hire...) just ask for the supervisor. I mention this only because sometimes they fail to tell the new trainees this..and they are put at the front position, but all qualified screeners know that this option is there.

We do this all the time...your other bags will be put through the x-ray, and another screener will take your carrier with your cat inside, meeting you after you walk through the metal detector. Once you and your bags have cleared, you will go into the private search room with your pets in the carrier, where you can safely take the cat out, and the carrier will be hand-searched there.

The last thing we want is a loose cat in the airport, so don't feel silly asking this request, we do this everyday...especially for birds, and cats etc. The private search room is always available for pets, and also for passengers for that matter. Good luck!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

And there you have it from the horse's mouth...

Great to know btw!
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!
Gives me some peace of mind!
I also wonder how security will change when Toronto gets those full body xray machines?
At any rate, I will request the private room!!
Thank you!!
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM

I second the idea of a harness and leash. Even in a private room, someone can oppen a door by accident. Having a leash to hold ensures absolutely no accidents can happen and gives you peace of mind relatively cheaply. Just my
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I second the idea of a harness and leash. Even in a private room, someone can oppen a door by accident. Having a leash to hold ensures absolutely no accidents can happen and gives you peace of mind relatively cheaply. Just my
I agree good luck