Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Sorry but this is an emergency

Before I get flamed , let me explain why.

I live on Rathlin Island , off the coast of Northern Ireland in the UK

At the moment we are stormbound with no chance to get to a vet until tommorow morning , which I fully intend to do. (14 hours from now)

The patient -

7 month old male cat , rescued from the wild at about 8 weeks old (have never seen any sign of a mother).

I have 2 young children 4years and 6 years , since this cat came to the house it has never bitten , scratched , growled in anger at anyone , despite the children constantly carrying it around and generally tormenting it (within reason).

Today my daughter , who is totally devoted to cuddles , came home from school and as usual ran to find her pet. She came back to the house crying and saying cuddles had spat at her when she tried to pick him up.

When i went to check the cat was indeed distressed when touched , threatening to bite or scratch.

With gentle lifting I was able to bring it to the house and it proceeded to eat some food from its dish , it seemed normal but grumpy.

After a short time I noticed it was walking slowly and with its belly close to the ground , it then lay down and seemed to be breathing rapidly and struggling.

I could no longer pick it up as that was causing too much distress , so I telephoned the nearest vet and described everything, they wanted to see it right away but alas that was impossible.

Our conclusion was that it may have been struck by a car or attacked by a dog , though there are no outward signs of any trauma.

So 8 hours later it is still very lethargic in its bed and still breathing rapidly , from very gentle stroking it would appear the most tender area it around the ribcage on both sides.

I am posting here because recently it is attempting to mew , but that is coming out as a very dry rasping sound , so i need to know if i can attempt to give some liquids , I know the vet would probably set up a drip to replace shock loss fluids but fluid by mouth is not advised .

Please help as this is true agony to watch and listen too.

Michael

Last edited by michaelireland; March 8th, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Michael I am sorry this is happening...I dont have a lot of experience other than the same conclusion you have. He sounds like he is struggling to breath. Raspy noises and rapid breaths are really not a good sign. Is there an emergency vet anywhere near you that you could some how get to? We are also battling a storm here in Ontario today! If your cat was hit I would be really worried about internal bleeding especially since you indicated no signs of visible injury. I am not sure if liquids are a good option...Could you give him just a few drops at a time. Maybe keep him in a quiet room away from noise and hopefully he will pull through this....I guess he is an outdoor cat so is he up to date on shots and stuff? no signs before today that he was getting ill?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I'm not sure what is wrong with your little one, it could be a number of things.

All I would suggest until you are able to get to the vet is to keep him warm (water bottles/heating blankets wrapped in towels) and keep him as comfortable as possible. The body will cut off all blood supply to "non" vital organs when there is shock/trauma to the body, therefore allowing more blood to be distributed to the more vital organs in the body that is needed for survival. Providing warmth for him will help his body have less work to do.

If he will not drink water, then don't attempt to give him anything. If there is internal damage, stimulation of organs will just make it worse. Good luck and keep us posted
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Nope chance of a vet tonight , we are offshore with no boats sailing due to darkness and stormy weather.

I was able to give about 5ml of natural water in a syringe used by the children to take medicine orally , cat was very glad to get it apparently.

He is wrapped gently in a quiet room with a warm hot water bottle. Seems not much more I can do really but wait .
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Swift Tribe

its a long wait!! hopefully enough of us will be on to help your moral through this time. im so sorry. crummy day for bad things to happen huh?? i have no advice, just support.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Would it be possible to phone an emergency vet or animal hospital somewhere near you for advice over the phone? If possible, that's what I'd do. most will say they want to see the animal, but perhaps if you explain that you can't due to weather, they may be able to offer a suggestion by phone. not to replace care, just suggestions on keeping the poor cat as comfortable as possible until you can get in for an evaluation. in the meantime, I hope your kitty hangs on and pulls through. keep us posted if you can.

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

http://www.whataboutcats.com/firstaid.html

Check that site there may be something you can check now there with tips for something you can do until you can get to the vet. I am so sorry you are so cut off, as your cat needs attention asap. Your kitty and you and your family have my prayers tonight.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Hi Michael

I agree with your opinion that your cat has been hurt, no matter how. He is in pain now, it would be good if you could reduce his pain somehow. ******There's nothing else I should try, because maybe it could do him more harm then benefit.

Best wishes to you and your fur-kid from Deda

Last edited by Blathach; March 8th, 2008 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Though this is an emergency, advice to self medicate is against board policy
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM

Deda Brada Please do not give out medication dosaging information you are not a vet, you have not seen this cat, you do not know how this medication will affect his lungs and you do not know if this medication will cause harmful reactions in this cat especially if he has internal injuries

michaelireland want to send you lots of for Cuddles & the storm passes quickly so you can get Cuddles to the vet. Please do update us after he's been seen by the dr & let us know how he is.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Well, I can hardly understand some of you people. When some says emergency, I believe he means right that. Instead, he could say: "Hi folks, lets chat a little". I am not a vet, that's right, but people named in brackets are. They are doctors who determined dosage of medication after thorough clinical exams. I didn't give any information, they did. By the way, ask your vet whether he ever saw their names. More than that, I administered this medication to my cat Mala Cveta when she broke her leg. Her lungs are still fine, thank you.

I believe I'm scriptural enough to read and understand recommendations from experts who carried out examinations. I administer medications very often. Some people are not lucky enough to have quality medical care on hand, so they must survive by virtue of their own skill and knowledge.
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda Brada View Post
I am not a vet........More than that, I administered this medication to my cat Mala Cveta when she broke her leg. Her lungs are still fine, thank you.
Your cats lungs may be fine that's great but Michealireland's cat is having breathing difficulties do you know with absolute certainity how this medication will affect a cat who is having breathing difficulties? No you don't cuz you're not a vet!

Perhaps you should read this to know why we pet owners not vets should not give medication advice http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12673

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Your cats lungs may be fine that's great but Michealireland's cat is having breathing difficulties do you know with absolute certainity how this medication will affect a cat who is having breathing difficulties? No you don't cuz you're not a vet!
I must disappoint you! I know with absolute certainty what the effect of **** on cat's lungs is, and what are it's side effects. Do you know, with absolute certainty, that Michealireland's cat is having breathing difficulties? Rapid breathing, together with shortness of breath, is the symptom of strong pain, but why would I write about it? Search the web, and you'll learn many things, or you'll learn nothing if you don't want it. The choice is yours.

Last edited by Blathach; March 8th, 2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

He mentions breathing difficulty here:

After a short time I noticed it was walking slowly and with its belly close to the ground , it then lay down and seemed to be breathing rapidly and struggling.

I could no longer pick it up as that was causing too much distress , so I telephoned the nearest vet and described everything, they wanted to see it right away but alas that was impossible.

Our conclusion was that it may have been struck by a car or attacked by a dog , though there are no outward signs of any trauma.

So 8 hours later it is still very lethargic in its bed and still breathing rapidly , from very gentle stroking it would appear the most tender area it around the ribcage on both sides.

I am posting here because recently it is attempting to mew , but that is coming out as a very dry rasping sound , so i need to know if i can attempt to give some liquids , I know the vet would probably set up a drip to replace shock loss fluids but fluid by mouth is not advised .

Please help as this is true agony to watch and listen too.

Michael

I think the point being made for you is that we are not vets here and when dealing with medications, pills etc that is better left for someone who has the veterinary experience. What if given wrong information something happens to the animal?? I would feel terrible.

Cindy

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:00 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Michealireland, I hope the baby made it through the night comfortably and the storm has ended. When the children on this post stop arguing maybe they will be supportive.
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Dear Winston

It is very difficult, even impossible, to argue with someone who knows nothing about subject. Has it ever happened that somebody brooks serious effects from pain relieving medication, regardless of the kind of pain he suffers? If you are aware of such event, please let me know.

When I subscribed on this forum, I expected to meet people who know something about cats, who have personal experience and who can help me with their advices, not only send me words of sympathy. I don't want to be indecent, but I don't need words of cored sympathy.

Sugarcatmom is one of those persons whose mails I am looking forward to.
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Swift Tribe

Michealireland how are things this morning? when you get some time, an update?? we're worried about you guys.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope the poor cat pulled through over night
We are a little spoiled here,with a vet in nearly every streetcorner(in my town),I cannot even begin to comprehend what I would do in michaelirlands case.

Deda Brada,giving sympathy and understanding is often the only help we can offer,maybe up someones spirit,even when it's a very difficult situation.
I find all the sympathy,understanding and experience I get from our Forum is invaluable,even if we cannot magically cure any animal.
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Please get back to the concerns of the OP or this thread will be closed. It is against board policy to prescribe any type of medication over the internet. There is no substitute to the prognosis of a professional vet.
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey there! I am not here to argue..I just posted the section of the email that indicated the breathing difficulty the kitty was having....

I really hope this poor kitty has pulled through the night! It must have been a long night for this family! I am positive that there are many good vibes that went out for this family! last night from this forum!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please give us an update as soon as you can.
that your kitty will be OK.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM

OK finally back , and yes that is the turnaround time for a visit to the vet.

Got cuddles to the clinic at 10:30 am , 45min boat trip + 40 min taxi trip.

So outcome -

Good news I guess in that the cat has 6 broken ribs , broken on or near the center of his chest.

Vet gave painkilling injections , anti-inflamatory injections + anti-biotic injection in case this was another animal attack. So its a few days of tlc and everything should be normal.

Now the cause is a different matter , the vet alost entirely ruled out a collision from a car as the trauma doesnt match , attack from another animal seems unlikely as no sign of skin trauma. So we are left with the sad assumption that this may well have been a human attack , the breaks made a good match for the toe of a large boot

I must thank all on this board for their thoughts and concerns , I never really expected any miracle cure at the time of the OP , but sharing helped me through a long night.

Also I would never administer medication unless instructed by a vet I know personally , heck I was even wary about giving water.

So once again thank you all.
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor thing. I'm glad you could get him to the vet quickly and the news is not too catastrophic. Having had a broken rib myself, I can't imagine the pain of six. Will you report it?
Your location intrigues me. Which island are you on?
If you have a camera, start clicking, beginning with the invalid. We love pictures!!
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

some people do not deserve to share this earth...I am glad your baby will be ok. I hope you find out who belongs to the large boot and boot him one
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I just saw this thread now, I'm so glad that your cat is going to be alright. BOO, HISS to the bugger who kicked your little feline. Keep him close.

I was in Ireland a few years back and fell in love, we tried to find jobs and move there but it didn't work out

Pictures of the little survivor please!!

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Phew, I wasn't sure if I wanted to check this post this morning. I'm sooooo glad your kitty is going to be okay! How traumatic for both of you (and your family) to spend the night like that.

As for whoever the wearer of the boots might be (I hope they fall head-first down a long flight of stairs), do you have any nasty cat-hating neighbors that you know about?

Best wishes for your cat's speedy recovery.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Whew I am so glad your kitty is going to be OK. People are so mean :sad:.

Umm do you have any pictures you can post of cuddles

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

that's great news,not that he got kicked,but that it's somethingg that will heal.
I've had a few broken ribs,no wonder he did not want to be touched,it hurts
This made my day,thanks
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
-

ouf ! I am so relieved ! Thank you for taking this cat asap to your vet ! Speedy recovery to your cat , and please keep it inside , if someone did this , next time it could be worse :sad:
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Hes good at looking sorry for himself

Old March 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
-

He's a beauty !