Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM

Question Dog with chronic skin dermatitis/loss of hair

We moved about 4 years ago and immediately our flat coat developed what the vet referred to as "an allergy to fleas". There are scabby sores all along the tail, around the tail, down the back side of her hind legs, and a very raw sores about the size of a quarter even up near the middle of the back. There is practically no hair on her tail and patches of hair loss in all the areas of the scabby crusty sores. Her eyes are filled with stringy white goo almost all the time. The vet always prescribes prednizone, steroids, antibiotics, frontline, and all medications to help clear it up runs over $100. It no sooner clears up and begins again. Also the stench of the dog is unbearable. Frontline and allergiy pills alone does not seem to curtail the breakout. The allergy pills just relieve the constant scratching.

Strange is the fact that she had fleas before without this problem...also 3 other dogs that have had extended stays here have also developed this same crusty sores around the tail with hair loss. The owners of those dogs have said that once away from here the condition cleared up and though their dogs occasionally have fleas they don't have this same problem.

I have black dirt in the back yard and I know poison ivy and sumac in a wooded area along the back fence where the dogs seem to go do their business. But the vet says dogs are not allergic to poison ivy or sumac.
He did a scrapping and showed me that when water was put on some black things that looked like dirt that they turned red, hence flea eggs.

I just am not convinced it is allergy to fleas because the dog had flea infestation at the other residence without it causing these problems.

Could it be anything other than flea allergy?

Thank you for any help....
Fayby
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

What does your dog eat?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM

I recommend for you to find a veterinary dermatologist and get another opinion.