Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Pet Guardian

Question Snow/cold weather boots for Maltese?

It's that time of year again.... where I wish I would have figured this out sooner. And going into our 10th winter together, you'd think I'd have figured this out sooner, but I haven't.

Cube is a Maltese X. He has longish leg fur, maybe 1/2" or so, never any shorter than 1/4" and it's very smooth (slippery). He also has insanely long claws, which I trim regularly and he walks on concrete and wears them down but the quicks never seem to recede so they've been too long forever. I've tried a number of different boots, and they either slide down the leg (because that's the direction the hair grows) or within a few steps, he wears through the bottom. I've made "snowsuits" which had boots that attached with snaps, and he wore through them or the boots filled with snow & pulled off.

I just saw a picture of an Australian style dog boot, leather, which would be good to protect pads from salt and hot concrete but not so good to keep toes warm.

I'm thinking that perhaps I could make/buy a full-body suit (fleece?) to keep everything warm and then wrap those around the foot? But how would it stay on over slippery fleece (or just fur) without the claws sticking through the holes?

Does anyone have any experience with maltese and any specific boots that not only stay on, but don't wear out from long claws and also keep feet warm/dry? I should add that I prefer local stores where I can try them on (I'm in Calgary, AB) but if an awesome boot is only available online I'll probably be willing to try!

Cube's starting to show his age and perhaps won't be having many winter adventures with us this year, but even just the 2km return walk to pick up or drop off my daughter at school requires something on his poor cold toes.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa & Cube

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet."
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:19 PM

We have had great success with Muttlucks.

http://www.muttluks.com/
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
We have had great success with Muttlucks.

http://www.muttluks.com/
I found them too hard to get on my mine poodle x and did not buy them. I wish there was so doggies boots that were easy to put on 4 paws .
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I found them too hard to get on my mine poodle x and did not buy them. I wish there was so doggies boots that were easy to put on 4 paws .
We have had no problems with them for our Dane - I think different dogs tolerate boots differently
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
We have had no problems with them for our Dane - I think different dogs tolerate boots differently
Yes, different dogs accept boots differently and also have different fur - in my experience boots are *much* easier to keep on dogs that do NOT have ever-growing fur.

Which is why I'm hoping that someone else with a Maltese or similar small breed has some experience with boots.

Melissa

Old November 12th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

How much snow did you get?

I have seen full body suits that help keep the long hair on low slung dogs from getting all matted in deep snow. I think they would be hot but maybe that would not be a problem with a small dog.

My only experience with booties is the neighbour's dog and they are slippery as heck and I think are worse for her bad joints than no booties at all. With them on her feet suddenly slip and slide out from under her, they are terrible on snow. The Australian ones look interesting but wouldn't they allow snow, or sand, to get in between? I think they'd only be good on hard, dry surfaces.
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog use that horrible toxic ice melt crap and I have to carry Marty out of the house and that is getting to be too risky for me. So I been trying to find an easy boot to put on his winter fur coat.
Old November 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
How much snow did you get?

I have seen full body suits that help keep the long hair on low slung dogs from getting all matted in deep snow. I think they would be hot but maybe that would not be a problem with a small dog.

My only experience with booties is the neighbour's dog and they are slippery as heck and I think are worse for her bad joints than no booties at all. With them on her feet suddenly slip and slide out from under her, they are terrible on snow. The Australian ones look interesting but wouldn't they allow snow, or sand, to get in between? I think they'd only be good on hard, dry surfaces.
This time, about 4" I think. But we're just starting winter and he really likes the snow... or did when he was younger.

Yes, I've considered the full-body suit things, but he would wear out the bottoms in a bloody hurry, like after 2 or 3 steps. I even tried making him one, except it had foot openings and then I tried to attach boots on. He either wore through them quickly or if I didn't put them on until we got to the park where there's no bare concrete, then he kept filling them up with snow and they'd fall off.

Yes, the Australian-style would be lousy for anything other than bare & dry, or if the concern was pad problems. And if I tried them over a full-suit or even just boots (if I could find ones that stayed on) then I'm not sure how they'd stay on, or work, without the claws poking through.

Was really hoping there'd be someone on here with a maltese or other furry small dog who has found boots that work! Starting to feel a little depressed. Poor Cube might not be getting too many walks this winter if I can't figure this out, because after I've walked 4.4km I don't want to be taking him out and walking more!

Melissa