Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
-

Ceili's "Whizzer"

Ceili's home!! She had her vulva reduction surgery on Tuesday and I was able to bring her home Friday night. She's doing very well, being a little picky with food (but, that's not unusual) and sleeping a bit more but, she's in good spirits in general and isn't showing any signs of pain. She's on Clavamox (antibiotic) and Metacam (NSAID) for the next little while. I'm keeping her diapered rather than using an e-collar. I know she is itchy as she will get up quickly and seems to be trying to run away from her bottom ~ poor grrrly. There isn't much info out there on this type of surgery ~ has anyone come across something I might have missed or have experience with their own doggies?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Boss-lady!

I have no info on this condition, but I'm glad she's doing well. Those e-collars may do the job but are such a pain-we all had scraped up shins from the pups trying to rub the collars off on us.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
-

I hear ya Skryker. With Ceil's , she's like this hapless drunken robot. Run headlong into wall ~ boink. Back-up, turn slightly, get collar caught on doorjamb, boink. Back-up, turn the other way, run headlong into the wall ~ boink. Lie down and whimper-bark until Mummy comes.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Boss-lady!

Pathetic, isn't it? Fingal kept getting stuck on walls, too. Since they got fixed at the same time, the most pathetic thing was watching them try to comfort each other-cones together, struggling to lick each other's faces.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I tried searching the forum for previous posts about this cause I didn't want to ask you, but couldn't find anything, so... why did Ceili need a vulva reduction?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
-

She is (was, that is) built abnormally large which created a deep cleft. As such, we've been struggling with chronic, painful infections for more than (?) a year and she is becoming pretty much immune to antibiotics. Three times a day, she had to be washed with antiseptic soap, creamed with the doggy-version of polysporin and then powdered with ... name escapes me, some specialized drying agent/antifungal powder ....and wear diapers 24-7 to keep her from herself. She was constantly inflamed and I mean horribly (as in your knees slam shut just to look at her) inflamed. So, when it was clear that this last infection just wasn't responding to anything and she was becoming increasing withdrawn physically and emotionally, surgery was my only choice. Poor kiddo, she's been through so much. :sad:
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM
-

Poor baby :sad: I don't know anything about this condition. What I like about the collar is once they have it on,they usually lay down and get the rest they are suppose to get. I put it on Molly only when I was off to work yesterday. But she will have to wear it the rest of the week while I'm not at home to supervise. I hope Ceili recovers soon give her a big kiss from me .

Last edited by Frenchy; December 3rd, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
-

Thanks Frenchy I will. Maybe I'm being sucky about this, she just seems so forlorn with it on.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I have seen the "bite not collarL in a petstore near me it is a much better alternate to the elizabethan collar it restricts their head movement but not their vision so easier for animals to tolerate

http://www.bitenot.com/

because of the skin folds at the vulva it is better not to leave her in diapers so the air can get at it to help heal, trapped warmth and moisture can cause bacteria to grow and be one of the reasons it keeps getting re infected
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
-

Thanks OntarioGreys but could you post the picture for me if at all possible ? My 'puter is being exceedingly cranky tonight and I'm having trouble accessing alot of things.

Re: the diapers are actually adult Depends not doggy diapers (which is why I'm considered such a "hot-catch" by all those hunky guys behind me in line at the drugstore ! ). There's plenty of air circulation as they are sooooo big and of course I have her outside for several hours a day. But thanks! The Vet has actually recommended that she go back on Benadryl to get her through the itchy-stitches and hair re-growth stage.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad to hear that Ceili's home and doing pretty well--that itchy-stitch and pokey hair stage is always the worst part of any recovery! How long will it be before she can get the stitches out?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
-

Thanks HazelRP ~ Laser surgery generally means faster healing and her stitches should dissolve within the next week. The metacam of course helps with the pain and gives her a dopey, floaty feeling by the looks of her but she is still trying to running away from her bum when she's on a flat surface (off the Mummy's bed).
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
-

MumX3....glad Ceili is doing well. Many years ago we had a dog with the same problem. We lived in a small town in B.C. at the time and even took her to the vet hospital in Saskatoon and they didn't have any answers. She passed away at 8 yr. old from liver failure most likely from all the antibiotics she had been put on. :sad: I'm glad to hear they finally know how to treat this condition. Keep us updated on Ceili's progress.

OG, have you used the bitenot collar?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Thanks HazelRP ~ Laser surgery generally means faster healing and her stitches should dissolve within the next week. The metacam of course helps with the pain and gives her a dopey, floaty feeling by the looks of her but she is still trying to running away from her bum when she's on a flat surface (off the Mummy's bed).
Poor baby...running from her owie but can never quite get away. :sad: Another couple of days and that stinging will go away, though...then itching in another week... Sheesh! Heal quickly, little Ceili!

It's nice that the stitches will dissolve, though, and not need taking out. Maybe the dissolvable stitches won't itch so much? If it makes her more comfortable, I guess you'll just have to keep her on mummummumy's bed until she's totally healed! She'll like that!
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

it is like a cervical collar prevents the dog from bending there neck so they can't reach the surgical site, some people have used human cervical collar when they needed something right away and could not find locally

but this this is what the bite-not collar looks like, needs to fit from below the ear to the top of the shoulder to be effective
Attached Images

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
-

How unusual ! Thanks very much ~ I'll have a look for it when I'm wandering about today.
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, poor Ceili. Hopefully that surgery will make her feel alot better.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys View Post
it is like a cervical collar prevents the dog from bending there neck so they can't reach the surgical site, some people have used human cervical collar when they needed something right away and could not find locally

but this this is what the bite-not collar looks like, needs to fit from below the ear to the top of the shoulder to be effective

Have you, or do you know of anyone that has used them? I hate the cones and my hubby and I have always done "shift work" whenever any of our dogs had owies. I really am interested to know if these are any good.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Poor doggy. for a speedy recovery.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:05 PM
-

Thanks all ~ she's coming along nicely. A little hard to check her whizzer without looking pervy when we're outside (better light) but, hey a Mum's gotta do what a Mum's gotta do.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

awww poor baby, lucky she has a good mum like you, for a speedy recovery