Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM

Potty training rescued dog

We just adopted a year and half boarder collie mix from the SPCA. She is a joy, but we are having issues with her peeing in the appt. We take her for walks regularly throughout the day, and sometimes after those long walks she will still wait till we get back home to pee in the house. When I walk her I give her time to sniff as long as I can see it's not garbage and we stop at 'the pee spot' just before we come back in and let her sniff around for a good minute. We clean up when she does and take her for a quick walk to the pee spot and back.
She is fixed and had a full work over when she was at the SPCA so a medical issue shouldn't be the problem. She is a relatively calm dog and isn't nervous in the appt.
From what I have been reading we should clean where she goes in the house with vinegar and water. Is there anything else we should be doing?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM

Use an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the smell. Like Nature's Miracle. For the first while I would take her out every couple of hours. And really reward her when she goes outside! Have a party! YEAH!!! Good girl! What a good girl!! You know. Verbally reward and pet her lots.
Do you take her out after she eats? Are you figuring out what her signals are for wanting to go out?
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Potty training rescued

I would have a urinalysis done at your vets, perhaps the shelter missed something and take what ever you use to clean up her urine (rag or paper towel) and deposit it outside where you want her to go and keep bringing her back to that spot. Lots of praise and a treat once she catches on. Frenchy has a great recipe and its inexpensive to eliminate odors - 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and 1 cup water mixed together in a spray bottle. Persistence and patience is the key to helping her understand. Kudos to you for adopting a shelter dog.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM

I was wondering while reading this.. the pee spot, is that hers? Like, she found it and started to pee there all on her own?

My beautiful rescue dog scared the daylights out of us when we first got her, it wasn't that she was peeing in the house, she wasn't peeing at all. Turned out she just needed to get used to the backyard before she felt comfortable letting her guard down and peeing there. Now she pees anywhere, but she won't do the other unless she's in a fenced area.

Any chance the dog doesn't feel comfortable for whatever reason when you're outside and waits until you're back inside the "safe" confines of the apt? It could be that she doesn't like the spot or it could even be something around or something that changed when she's at the pee spot, like there's someone across the street or too much traffic etc. That sure affected our furbaby for a while!

Tags
potty training