Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 31st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Unhappy I'm still struggling with Cat foods

despite my best efforts i am not doing well with my youngest cat to eat the new foods.

My other two seem ok with the DVP natural balance dry. On an up note though i am off today to a shop that carries orijen so he'll maybe like it? .. for dry foods, i have tried Go! natural, felidae, chicken soup, Royal canin skin care 30, Innova..

For wet foods, none of them will eat a non sliced, diced type, i have been using some triumph pouched. I also grabbed some purina fancy feast[or coarse with their recent recall announcement i am worried about continuing that brand]

They do NOT eat any tuna, fish.. don't like it. Before all this recall stuff happened they were fed exclusively Nutro brands, wet & dry.. they were doing well to be honest but w/the menu foods recall i am completely uncomfortable with continuing use of that brand at all.

So i guess finally my question is does anyone make a chunky style food with no wheat gluten that would appeal to very fussy kitties

TY!
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM

Well, it's not chunky but I feed Triumph canned and my cats love it. It's not the best food but it's certainly not the worst either. I had a really hard time getting my guys to eat anything that wasn't Fancy Feast or Friskies, but my guys go crazy for the Triumph food. I pay about $1.49 a can for it.

As for dry, you may want to try Serengeti by Timberwolf Organics if you can get it. I feed primarily Felidae but mix in a little Serengeti when I can afford it and my cats love the taste.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I was having the same problems with finding a wet food that they both would like. And they seemed to only like the cuts with gravy type food. I finally bought a can of Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew after trying every food on the shelf, and they both love it! It has a very loose consistency, chunky pieces of REAL MEAT, no wheat gluten.

Here's the ingredients.

Chicken,Chicken Broth,Chicken Liver,Egg Product,Diced Red Pepper,Natural Flavor,Diced Carrots,Tricalcium Phosphate,Spinach Flakes,Guar Gum,Oat Fiber,Calcium Carbonate,Menhaden Fish Oil,Pea Fiber,Sweet Potatoes,Brewers Dried Yeast,Sunflower Oil,Sodium Phosphate,Ground Flaxseed,Parsley,Sodium Ascorbate,Dried Kelp,Chicory Inulin,Oregano,Taurine, SodiumCarbonate, Potassium Chloride,Iron Proteinate,Dried Blueberries,Dried Cranberries,Dried Apples,Sage,Sea Salt,Zinc Proteinate,Beta Carotene,Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride,Yucca Schidigera Extract,Cobalt Proteinate,Thiamine, Mononitrate,Copper Proteinate,Folic Acid,Manganese Proteinate,Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate,Sodium Selenite,Vitamin D3 Supplement,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,Riboflavin Supplement,Vitamin A Supplement,Vitamin B12Supplement,Potassium Iodide,Biotin.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrohloff View Post
Well, it's not chunky but I feed Triumph canned and my cats love it. It's not the best food but it's certainly not the worst either. I had a really hard time getting my guys to eat anything that wasn't Fancy Feast or Friskies, but my guys go crazy for the Triumph food. I pay about $1.49 a can for it.

As for dry, you may want to try Serengeti by Timberwolf Organics if you can get it. I feed primarily Felidae but mix in a little Serengeti when I can afford it and my cats love the taste.
Thank you. They seem to like the triumph pouched but it has the infamous wheat gluten, but i can certainly give the triumph tinned a try.

Serengeti.. i think i have seen it?
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM

Fromm is safe, as far as I know, and they have chunky foods.

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c.php

This is the beef one, just to give you an idea:
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-c-beef.php
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Fromm is safe, as far as I know, and they have chunky foods.

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c.php

This is the beef one, just to give you an idea:
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-c-beef.php
Thanks.

wow, it's ok for dogs as well as cats? that's certainly different!
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM

lol I think their site is messed. When you click on "feline entrees" and then Beef, you get the dog food.

This is the cat food:
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-c-beef.php

There's a little menu on the left too with other flavors (just don't click "feline entrees" ).
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I was having the same problems with finding a wet food that they both would like. And they seemed to only like the cuts with gravy type food. I finally bought a can of Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew after trying every food on the shelf, and they both love it! It has a very loose consistency, chunky pieces of REAL MEAT, no wheat gluten.

Here's the ingredients.

Chicken,Chicken Broth,Chicken Liver,Egg Product,Diced Red Pepper,Natural Flavor,Diced Carrots,Tricalcium Phosphate,Spinach Flakes,Guar Gum,Oat Fiber,Calcium Carbonate,Menhaden Fish Oil,Pea Fiber,Sweet Potatoes,Brewers Dried Yeast,Sunflower Oil,Sodium Phosphate,Ground Flaxseed,Parsley,Sodium Ascorbate,Dried Kelp,Chicory Inulin,Oregano,Taurine, SodiumCarbonate, Potassium Chloride,Iron Proteinate,Dried Blueberries,Dried Cranberries,Dried Apples,Sage,Sea Salt,Zinc Proteinate,Beta Carotene,Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride,Yucca Schidigera Extract,Cobalt Proteinate,Thiamine, Mononitrate,Copper Proteinate,Folic Acid,Manganese Proteinate,Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate,Sodium Selenite,Vitamin D3 Supplement,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,Riboflavin Supplement,Vitamin A Supplement,Vitamin B12Supplement,Potassium Iodide,Biotin.
Thanks, we have a pet valu right in town.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:40 AM

The only thing with that one is the egg product... (Not for human consumption eggs... i.e. rotten, broken, etc etc.)
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The only thing with that one is the egg product... (Not for human consumption eggs... i.e. rotten, broken, etc etc.)
Really!? Dammit, that's the only one they both like.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:

well couldn't find any fromm wet, i can get their dry tho? i wonder if it would suit a real picky eater? the duck ala veg something like that?

Still looking for a wet food.. the search continues..
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I called the Western Canadian distributor for Fromm and there is no one who carries their Four-Star sliced cat food. And, like you FurryLand I have one cat who will only eat cuts & gravy style. I don't think I've ever seen Triumph but will google it and see if I can find it anywhere in our province.

Note: Just checked on their site and there are NO stores that carry Truimph in Saskatchwan.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Last edited by Dracko; March 31st, 2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryland View Post
So i guess finally my question is does anyone make a chunky style food with no wheat gluten that would appeal to very fussy kitties

TY!
I used to be in the same position. One of our cats would only eat the chunky stuff. She was getting vomiting and diarrhea all the time; the vet was no help really, but somehow I fixed on wheat gluten as the cause (this was long before the recall). I noticed the brands that contained wheat gluten had the effect, and those without did not - though at the time, I thought maybe she had a feline version of Celiac Disease because a (human) friend of mine had this. Now I suspect something else entirely, I'm wondering if she was getting hit with contaminants. Anyway, we settled on Friskies (I think it was Friskies, it was a while ago) because they had chunky stuff that had no wheat gluten, not that it was very good food even so, but her vomiting and diarrhea stopped anyway.

Eventually though, we decided she was not going to eat crap food all the time. We want her to live long, and we don't want her life to be cut short and costly in terms of vet bills as well. So we decided one way or the other she was going to switch. We put her on Hill's prescription diet (though now, another switch is due, because of recent news) which is kind of like a thick paté, no gravy and no chunks. She wouldn't eat it so what we did was get some Friskies and mix it in really well, a 50-50 mix - she ate that. Not terribly enthusiastically at first, and it took some coaxing, but she did eat it. We reduced the Friskies over time to nothing at all. Strangely, she will still not eat it if you just plop it on her plate. It's been about a year since she switched, but if you don't pretend to mix it, she won't eat it.

Have you tried any sort of gradual mixing?

Here's one of the Friskies canned:

http://www.friskies.com/feeding/wet_detail.aspx?p=117

Meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, poultry by-products, turkey, poultry giblets, fish, brewers rice, natural and artificial flavors, salt, guar gum, tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, titanium dioxide color, carrageenan, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, dicalcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, cobalt carbonate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin.

It's really awful, low-grade stuff, but it doesn't have the wheat gluten. It might be good for mixing and a gradual transition to something else. Still ... I wouldn't use it for long, its definately a lower grade food, and with all these scares about food safety it might be a risky one.

Last edited by Edgewaters; March 31st, 2007 at 09:42 PM.