Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

"I have a bone to pick"

So Bea my boston is a very aggressive chewer. Luckily she is great at leaving my personal belongings alone....haha. Here's the question. How can I teach her to chew a real bone or even bully stick/raw hide etc..... She runs around the house trying to bury it, and even irritates her poor nose. I know there is competition with my other dog, but Marty has her own and will not take hers. I also supervise and make sure. If I give her toys, she can chew it 24/7 but it's not too good for her, she does break off tiny chunks and swallows it. Even the hardest of toys, yes kongs etc. I tried the crate, she spends her time trying to bury it under her bed, that's when I saw her red chaffed nose.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try taking the bone away and putting it up someplace or buying your dog smaller bones that she can finish in one sitting. I once brought my dog a bone to keep her company when I went out for awhile. When I got back up home I had hole in my mattress ! My dog buried her bone right in the middle of my bed!
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

That message just made me I can just picture your dog desperately trying to bury that bone.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I can laugh about this now but boy I not happy to find a bone buried in my bed. My dog was a Samoyed Husky and I think she was pissed off at me for leaving her home.
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM

My old dog did that to my brand new couch, buried her chew in the cushion, the first new couch I had ever bought, you got to love them.
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs&acat View Post
My old dog did that to my brand new couch, buried her chew in the cushion, the first new couch I had ever bought, you got to love them.
Yup ! You got to love them a lot ! LOL! I had a client that brought herself a new satin bedspread that had raise flowers in the middle of it . It cost $250
and she went out and came home to find a 'new' flower on her beautiful bedspread , her dog took a poop right in the middle of it !