Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
MrThomas well said so we will agree to disagree.

Travis= thats the whole point you don't have to defend yourself. I am neither lacking common sense,knowledge of the law or how shelters run. But I also don't look at life completely black and white, sometimes there has to be grey areas.
I can respect that, I am a black and white kind of person myself(obviously! ). I do understand where the "other side" is coming from, I just don't agree.

-Travis
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM

sorry had to bolt for a sec....yes himmies you are correct that tag had not been changed but the rabies tag does have a 1800 number on it that they could have traced....
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM

cool the article is out...i'll have to read it...didn't expect it so soon...16 days eh....doesn't that tell you something...I was running around in circles over here!...if I had thought for one moment that Brandon was where I needed to look...I would have looked there....because this isen't exactly an avenue I would prefer....

the only reason I've found out as much as I have is because i've remained vigilant and continued my struggle for information....
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
16 days eh....doesn't that tell you something...
what? it says you didnt look for the dog in 16 days and thats not a positive comment to you. it tells me that you had more than two weeks when you could have gotten him back before they adopted him away.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM

boy oh boy people can twist things the way they want sometimes....I mean I was looking here in Carberry relentlessly....when i found out the pound had him it wasen't long after he had been adopted out...

People you have to recognise something here....yes it's 40 min or so from here to Brandon...tack on another 10min to get to the kennel...another 10 min in the other direction and i'm in Portage la prarie....

the article apparently says LOTS of rural areas strays are sent to Brandon...well which ones?....and as the mayor said that wasen't always the case....this article was sent out to inform people of where to go for a reason

BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM

yup in 3-5 days i was going to find out what took me a month....
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Kitty pimp

ok i just called 4 pet related palces in your area and guess what?

They all said talk to the brandon people hmm
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM

well i don't know where you called and at this point after all the crud i've raised you'd have to be under a rock to not know....but believe me at the time when i called I wasen't getting much....
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM

oh and yes Shirley you are correct if the new keepers of Brew do pop in plse feel free to send me a private message where no one else will be involved...i'm not here to nail you to a cross i'm very much able to discuss things with them getting out of hand....

I was talking with a lady a half hour ago who's lost her Lab here in Carberry around the same time I lost Brew and she doesn't know if he's dead or alive...in that way I think i'm lucky *assuming it's Brew*. But the pain we both feel is very much the same. I didn't tell her she's a dummy for having left him unsupervised or clock her ego by telling her it's all her fault. All I did was give her a caring look and tell her keep looking.

As for the nay sayers here, it is your opinion and every thread in this lost and found has something to do with a lost pet...I'd hate to think that you'll go there and penalize every single owner of a lost pet the way you've attempted to penalize me....
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
oh and yes Shirley you are correct if the new keepers of Brew do pop in plse feel free to send me a private message where no one else will be involved...i'm not here to nail you to a cross i'm very much able to discuss things with them getting out of hand....

I was talking with a lady a half hour ago who's lost her Lab here in Carberry around the same time I lost Brew and she doesn't know if he's dead or alive...in that way I think i'm lucky *assuming it's Brew*. But the pain we both feel is very much the same. I didn't tell her she's a dummy for having left him unsupervised or clock her ego by telling her it's all her fault. All I did was give her a caring look and tell her keep looking.

As for the nay sayers here, it is your opinion and every thread in this lost and found has something to do with a lost pet...I'd hate to think that you'll go there and penalize every single owner of a lost pet the way you've attempted to penalize me....
There is a big difference between looking for a pet, and looking to take people to court and talking about suing.

Personally I do not like the fact that you are so quick to give excuses as to why you could not find your dog, and that you think you are entitled to have him back.

I think myself and the others here were trying to inject some sanity into this thread, and hopefully help you realize you ARE in the wrong here. We are not trying to.. penalize?? you.
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracity View Post
Finally, before I go, I must say that the keeper of the pound mentioned in the newspaper that he kept the dog long beyond the required time and would have given him back to the owners had they paid up the pound fees and additional costs he incurred had they just called. He says that Brandon has been the pound for Carberry for 20 years and it also states in the paper that the Carberry AC says that the information was available at the town office.
i saw this in the paper to. you think after 20 years someone would have been able to help kelly. also i am confused because the ac says the info is there and kelly says not. the more i read it sounds like kelly got one really kooky lady at carberry town office and then assumed there was nothing.
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_G View Post
...I think myself and the others here were trying to inject some sanity into this thread, and hopefully help you realize you ARE in the wrong here....
And yet others are trying to inject some compassion for both sides.

It is clear to me that Kelly humbly came to this forum not to be insulted but, in search of advice and support. And you came here to cast judgement. It's not for you or others to decide Travis_G ; I can't possibly imagine where you get off being so self-righteous by implying Kelly, and everybody who is empathic to her situation is wrong, not in touch with reality, etc.. What, if anything, is it managing to accomplish seeing this situation resolved? Just because you said so?

Kelly, it's also very clear to me that too many ppl here want to play judge and jury. For what it's worth, my words of advice to you is to completely ignore negative posts directed at you as it's obvious it's leading nowhere and this negativity is not of any help to you. Focus on what you've been doing in order to get to the bottom of this, to resolve this. I wouldn't expect any less.
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Kelly ditto what LP says,don't give up until you get some answers,sorry about all the accusations and negativity.
Is there a possibility we could get the article or the papers web-site on here
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
banned user

LuckyPenny I agree with you 100% and I don't know why all the Kelly bashing
she is only trying to find her dog.
We all have our opinions and bashing Kelly isn't going to resolve anything.
If anything I believe it has opened the eyes of those of us who have lost dogs that perhaps we too have not looked in the right places.
I think it has given us all an insight into helping others when their dogs go missing not to underestimate where to look and who to ask. I hope if nothing else it has educated some of us to help others not to be in this difficult situation that Kelly now finds herself in.
It does not good to lay blame on Kelly, she as well as myself have acknowldeged our mistake...now I think it is time to know how the folks who have adopted Brew really feel about the situation.
Because when all is said and done what we think doesn't matter..what matters is Brew.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
And yet others are trying to inject some compassion for both sides.

It is clear to me that Kelly humbly came to this forum not to be insulted but, in search of advice and support. And you came here to cast judgement. It's not for you or others to decide Travis_G ; I can't possibly imagine where you get off being so self-righteous by implying Kelly, and everybody who is empathic to her situation is wrong, not in touch with reality, etc.. What, if anything, is it managing to accomplish seeing this situation resolved? Just because you said so?

Kelly, it's also very clear to me that too many ppl here want to play judge and jury. For what it's worth, my words of advice to you is to completely ignore negative posts directed at you as it's obvious it's leading nowhere and this negativity is not of any help to you. Focus on what you've been doing in order to get to the bottom of this, to resolve this. I wouldn't expect any less.
The resolution she is after is getting her dog back by basically any means neccessary. Including trying to guilt the new owners with her stories and force the issue via a possibe lawsuit.

If she accepted the fact that she messed up, moved on from this "witchunt", and is only trying to get the processes/available information changed I would be far more supportive. I cannot support this endless complaining about the system and "everyone but her is at fault and she should get her dog back" attitude. Please don't come back with "she admitted her mistake" etc. because if she had truly done so this conversation would be long over.

-Travis
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Yay Shirley, finally someone gets it. It is all about Brew, not kelly or the new adoptee's. Yes they may be the better parent or they may not, but brew isn't being given the chance to decide. If the person who has brew is among us pls consider the dog too. pm kelly and atleast confirm that it is him and he's ok. Put it this way if it isn't him, is still out there somewhere.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Kelly ditto what LP says,don't give up until you get some answers,sorry about all the accusations and negativity.
Is there a possibility we could get the article or the papers web-site on here
Unfortunately Chico, you have to be a subscriber to the paper in order to see the whole article on-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
pm kelly and atleast confirm that it is him and he's ok. Put it this way if it isn't him, is still out there somewhere.
Good idea.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
If I lose my pet, I phone the police or RCMP. .
And what are they supposed to do?Seriously?They don't have time for little things like that.

Don't give up.And if you need some suggestions,feel free to pm me..I will help with what I can...
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
hmmmmm I am trying to be impartial here.

If I had adopted a dog from my local shelter/pound and found out weeks later that the owner wants the dog back, I don't know if I would give him back.
I too have a son, and am sure by this time my family would love him, we chose him above all the rest after all.

I would have so many reasons NOT to return him, (Although I know you answer all of them here I am speaking as the person who has adopted him and knows nothing of these posts, or his past)
why was he roaming
why was he roaming in -50
why didn't anyone love him enough to reclaim him
Why didn't he have and identification on him

Aslo after vetting him, I would have a better knowledge of "where" he came from, like was he well kept, groomed, fed, in good condition? Did he have fleas, ticks, worms? Did he show signs of abuse? scars, fearful, was he neutered. All of these things would greatly influence my decision as this dogs new owner, and to be quite honest with you, I don't think I would give him back

Although I know how you must feel, and I do sympathize with your plight, I feel local pounds SPCA and shelters do the best they can, and many really love these animals and want whats best for them, and having to spend time defending their actions, and their decisons, is only hurting the animals IMO time would be better spent saving animals in need.
Okay I tried to see both sides.......but .....

Your dog has been legally adopted by someone else!! Although I feel really bad for you loss, you don't have a legal leg to stand on!
And if you do try to persue this legally, it could take years!! And who would win......not Brew, as he would be very close to his new family, and definately not his new family!! And if you do happen to win, animals in shelters and pounds everywhere will loose big time!! As no one will want to ever adopt form them again, as they will feel they will have no rights and original owners can come back at any time to claim thier dog!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Owned by goldens

Bring Brew Home

I certainly hope the people who adopted Brew were made aware that this story was going to be printed in the newspaper before they read it themselves. I can't help but wonder if they would have made the decision to keep Brew if they knew that Kelly and her family were looking for him.
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Preplanning makes success

No kidding this thread has gotten out of hand!

It really is a shame that people who are too lazy to read and think through their comments before posting insist on judging your situation and making rude comments, Kelly. If they used the logic that they seem to think they are employing so well they would see that they are being judgemental and just making trouble for themselves and driving everyone else on the board up the wall (it's like a bad horror movie - I'm sitting here screaming- "No, don't do it! Don't do it!" and then - someone posts).

It seems clear to me that you've been running in circles with facilities who were not- at the time, anyway- willing or able to lead you in the right direction, and have done the best that you can with the limited information you were provided.

My concern if I was Kelly, and I'm sure this is what she is thinking, is that no one (unless I've read wrong, please correct me if I'm mistaken) has confirmed that he HAS been adopted for sure, we're just running on the assumption that he has. If they can't necessarily confirm that there was adopted in the first place, whose to say he HAS gone to a good home? I know for a fact that a lot of animals are returned, or adopted to inappropriate families, etc., despite the best efforts of the people who work there. I would be concerned that maybe he hasn't gone to a good home- particularly if the new family isn't interested in at least saying "he's in a good home, he's well loved."

In either case, Kelly, this is obviously a dog who is well loved. There are stories - and we empathize with people who have these stories - of pets who have been missing for years. 2 months is nothing in comparison to 6 years, and if they can still hope, why can't you?

I know everything I'm saying has been said a million times- and will probably be reiterated a million times again- but I'd REALLY like this bad horror movie to stop and above all I would LOVE the uniformed readers who are obviously here only to make trouble to take their "freedom of speech" nonsense and EAT IT!
(I have nothing against people who make informed arguments - this includes all senior members, for whom I have great respect)

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Okay I tried to see both sides.......but .....

And if you do happen to win, animals in shelters and pounds everywhere will loose big time!! As no one will want to ever adopt form them again, as they will feel they will have no rights and original owners can come back at any time to claim thier dog!!
That is my fear, many small town shelters just can't afford bad publicity, especially when they were not at fault. The new owners do not deserve this either, they are not at fault (if it comes to legal action). The SPCA in Ontario has a legal right to sell an animal 5 days after it is in it's custody. Owners have 15?? days to appeal that decision, not sure what it is in Manitoba. I really think anybody who really cares about shelters and those who choose to adopt from them would not encourage a lawsuit.

We must remember that we are only hearing one side to this story and taking her word as gospel. This is the second time her dog went missing so she has two times that she should have contacted the town office to find out where stray dogs are taken. Both times she was given the run around?? If she didn't get an answer where the stray dogs are taken from the first person, why didn't she keep asking until she got the answer? Kelly seems like a very persistant person when she wants to be.

If she went on the internet to find any info, there are 3 SPCA's that come up with info, The Pas, Winnipeg, and Brandon. The Brandon one has links to Brandon AC. Easy to find, easy to call.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Gibbons,that is exactly what would really tear at me,the not knowing if Brew is in a GOOD home,or has a life chained to a dog-house,who knows??
I am sure in farm-country many dogs,especially bigger dogs are"outside"dogs,not house-dogs(I am NOT bashing farmers!!)
It is to me,imperative that Kelly gets to meet the adopters,if in fact they have Brew,all the "What's if's"have to be cleared up.
Someone has to be forthcoming whether Kelly is able to get Brew back or not.
Knowing all the circumstances,how can anybody judge Kelly as an unfit dog-owner,yes,Brew ran away once before and I would certainly be vigilant and make sure it did not happen again,but...
Had the 13yr old son,not concentrated on his video-game rather than Brew,this would never have happened,it's a sad story all around :sad:
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM

HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE KEEP BLAMING A CHILD! WHAT IF HE HAPPENS ACROSS THIS WEBSITE. IT IS NOT HIS FAULT! Sorry to yell, but, I find it extremely heartless to continue reading about excuses, especially ones about children. A supportive person would consider that this dragging on is only giving Kelly's children false hope, rather than helping with the mourning process.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM
banned user

MMONROE..the mourning process....this dog is not dead...he is alive somewhere..at least that is what would be nice for Kelly to know.
If whoever has Brew would just come forward and tell what is happening to Brew, perhaps Kelly and her familiy could get on with it..but the way it is
no one not even those of us here at this forum can "get on with it"
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Y'all are insane in the membrane, I'm out!
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
That is my fear, many small town shelters just can't afford bad publicity, especially when they were not at fault. The new owners do not deserve this either, they are not at fault (if it comes to legal action). The SPCA in Ontario has a legal right to sell an animal 5 days after it is in it's custody. Owners have 15?? days to appeal that decision, not sure what it is in Manitoba. I really think anybody who really cares about shelters and those who choose to adopt from them would not encourage a lawsuit.

We must remember that we are only hearing one side to this story and taking her word as gospel. This is the second time her dog went missing so she has two times that she should have contacted the town office to find out where stray dogs are taken. Both times she was given the run around?? If she didn't get an answer where the stray dogs are taken from the first person, why didn't she keep asking until she got the answer? Kelly seems like a very persistant person when she wants to be.

If she went on the internet to find any info, there are 3 SPCA's that come up with info, The Pas, Winnipeg, and Brandon. The Brandon one has links to Brandon AC. Easy to find, easy to call.

EXACTLY!!

My fear is that the small town pounds will just say forget it, we'll just euthanize after 5 days!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE KEEP BLAMING A CHILD! WHAT IF HE HAPPENS ACROSS THIS WEBSITE. IT IS NOT HIS FAULT! Sorry to yell, but, I find it extremely heartless to continue reading about excuses, especially ones about children. A supportive person would consider that this dragging on is only giving Kelly's children false hope, rather than helping with the mourning process.
I am a mother, and I ould never allow my child to believe it was his fault, I would blame myself for not being diligent enough in his search!!

Old March 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not blaming the child(13yrs old)or want to make him feel worse,but the fact is,this is what happened.
As I understand it,Brews owners usually let him out to do his business before bedtime,while watching in the door-way,then calling him back.
With nobody in the doorway calling him back,Brew decided to walk.:sad:
Not something I recommend if you don't have a fenced yard,but that's water under the bridge.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Y'all are insane in the membrane, I'm out!

Thank GOD! we dont need anymore negative comments!~

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Closed Thread