Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
boubou

Foster kittens, why are they dying??

I'm fostering a cat that came into the shelter very pregnant and I brought her home the next day. She was caged and in quarantine for one night, I brought her home on the Sunday and she gave birth that night to six kittens. She is an amazing mom, looked very experienced and the kittens were thriving, until last week. We noticed a few were getting weak and on Friday afternoon, we came home and one was dead. I decided to start supplementing them with kitten milk and Nutri-pet, and still another one died yesterday, and now this morning 2 more are struggling. They won't suckle at all and when I feed one of them, it comes out his nose even though he is not on his back and I put in a few drops at a time. I have them under a heat lamp, but they're always moving around, and they're cold. I'm quite sure they won't make it either. I will start sub-q fluids this afternoon once I get back from my moms - what bad timing it being mothers day and all.....

Do you think the mom could have caught Rhino (even though she's not symptamatic) and passed it on to her babies in her womb? Any other suggetions why they're dying??? My daughter is so distraught over this, she's the one who took on the reponsiblility of caring for the mom and babies - they're actually in her bedroom....help!
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
boubou

I forgot to mention that today, they are exactly 2 weeks old.....
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I have no advise for you but wanted to send for their health and that they grow up to be big kitties. pbp
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post

Do you think the mom could have caught Rhino (even though she's not symptamatic) and passed it on to her babies in her womb?
Rhino is a bit like kennel cough for dogs. So I know with kennel cough , this can take 7-10 days to show symptoms ... and it's very contagious so yes , I think the kittens could have caught it. :sad: I'm sorry :sad:
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

First off - if mom is being a good mom she will keep babies warm. Please take away the heat lamp. It can do a lot of harm to babies. They can not regulate their heat for the first few weeks.
Secondly - have you talked to a vet? We can't do much besides offer condolences and suggestions but nothing beats a vet visit. There are so many things that can go wrong with newborn kittens.
Third - There is something called Fading Kitten Syndrome where sometimes kitties who are completely normal or deformed will simply stop eating and die. No one knows why.

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm...itten_syndrome

The very best thing you can do is to take these little ones to a vet asap.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 11th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The kittens and momma really need to go to a vet. 14+kittens is right, they do not need a heat lamp if momma is lying with them, they can't regulate their body temp and you could be making them too warm.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I'm so sorry for your poor daughter - I hope she is mature enough to understand death, although it's never easy.
I hope your kitties get strong - keep us posted...hopefully a vet visit is in the works!
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Kitty pimp

how the kitss and momma doing? you got a vet vivsit on the schedule?
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
boubou

Well, I went to the vet and got some anti-biotics. I'm giving the weakest one 2 injections daily with 3cc of fluid to keep her hydrated as she's still not suckling. Also supplementing with nutri-pet and formula for all three - they hate it! The vet said the the mom probably already had something such as Rhino(even though she has no symptoms and is doing great) and passed something onto her kittens. She was found outdoors and her ears and pads of her feet were frostbitten. You can tell she's had a rough life. She's so beautiful, all white with little grey speckles on her head - and one blue eye and one green!

I lost 3 babies in all and I hope with the meds, I can save the rest..

I'll let you know how things are - thanks for your advice..
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh the poor babies, unfortunatly there is not much a vet can do with them at this age, they are so tiny.

the rest recover.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM
boubou

The three kitties are still with us! Two are doing great, they're adorable and starting to play. Unimaginable cuteness!

But the little white one is till struggling. It's day by day and I keep hoping to see a big improvement everyday, but she's still not 100%, but atleast she's still here.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

they continue to improve!! Good Job!!! Thanks for letting us know!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have no advice, my those kittens are in my prayers, I hope all will be well very soon
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Boubou,that's great news
Mom does not have any kind of disease and that the little runt will survive..
When things are a ok,you know we have to see pics,I too have an odd-eyed kitty,I would love to see mom..you are probably right,she must have had a hard life,thank you for beeing her kitty
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Kittens are fighters for sure. I am so glad they are still doing well. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)