Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
<-----nut ball

do all dogs nest, or just mine??

Ok...Odin always goes through this elaborate routine of "nesting" whenever he wants to sleep or take a nap on his bed, or anywhere that has a blanket (He has a blanket for him on his two beds and the futon).

He will move around in circles moving the blanket all around, back and forth using his paws and mouth, sometimes for 10 minutes, before he finally plops down in the middle of it all. It's quite cute, but I've never seen a dog do it before, unless it was a female about to have puppies.

Anyone else have a dog who does this?

Here is a pic I took of him the first time he did it. We weren't really allowing him on the couch at that time, and we were both indisposed, so it was so cute walking in on him like that. That's a twin size blanket he somehow managed to bunch up all underneath him. This was in the first week we had him, and I didn't have my camera all that ready, so the pic is blurry, and he got up right after I took the pic.
Attached Images

Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM

My doggies make a nest under our duvet when we are not home. (great for my man's allergies). They don't do it all the time, but sometimes, they pull and thrash their blankets around.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

My nephew chocolate lab sometimes does this - not always but when he was a baby, he whined if he could not be in bed with me - even if his daddy was around, lol And he was so little I'd have to help him up (that changes fast in a lab tho, ) Once there, he'd move around until he found the best spot. It was my bed but somehow I endedup with less of it, lol

it was not a nightly ritual or anything tho. Me beagle never did it with the same style as my lab and I do not recall my poodle doing it. I grew up witha fox terrier and she was always a happy dog and came to us right from her mom - and we'd known her even before that as she grew up with her siblings (Her people were neighbours who were into showing their fox terrier Pepper and our dog was from the only litter Pepper - who was a titled champion dog with mega ribbons and bows - gave birth to. Ours was the "runt" but also the sweetest and the only girl and we fell in love with her right away. My sister and I used to dogsitt Pepper and their other terriers so they actually gave us the dog as a gift. She was a much cherished pet and it was wonderful to actually have a dog we knew and loved right from her birth! Anyway - to get to the point, I do not recall her ever nesting in the same sense as the others we had. She was considered a pet quality but to me she will always be star quality as she waits for me on the bridge (I hope by now she has met my bunny, lol)

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 23rd, 2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Chloe is the Queen of the Nesters. She has destroyed one sofa, and sometimes digs so much that her blanket ends up completely wedged between the cushion and the back of the sofa.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:05 PM

Ozzy nests and so do the chihuahuas. They will scratch to warm up their area then mavouver the blankets around. After a 20 minute spectacle they will settle down for a snooze.
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky the staff does that all the time except when hes going to sleep on his own special spot on the bed or couch, anywhere else is a ritual!
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM
<-----nut ball

maybe he is scratching to warm up the area...never thought of that one...
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the first time Ive seen Odin, Hes so CUTE! My daughter would go nuts for him!!!!
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:52 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks. There are a few better pics of him in the pictures forum as well...
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Copper nests only once in a while and Zoe does it all of the time!! She's crazy!
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:45 AM

All my dogs nest!!! I can say ALL MinPins will nest and are very good at covering themselves up!
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:47 AM

My beagle does it all the time and she is quite picky as to how she wants her blankie to be! She has been known to drag comforters and blankets off of beds and use them for nesting on the floor as well. We can't use a typical dog bed for her because with her nesting habits, she has completely destroyed every single one that we have bought her! She has her favourite blanket that she uses in her wicker bed, and at times she will remove it from the bed and put it on the floor and proceed to performing her nesting ritual. Our other dogs do not though.
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

You are not the only one. My dogs nest. Try crawling in bed at night having you and hubby there a Brittany Spainel and a doberman nesting it takes me for ever to get to sleep. LOL Last night they laid on top of me but I was so tired I did not even care! LOL

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Harley does this every night on our bed, it drives me nuts. I just tell him to go to sleep already and he usually will finally lay down. He only does it when he is going to sleep on a blanket.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Capone does it sometimes. The worst is when he turns turns turns and the next thing you know you have no covers and you can't find your 55 lbs. dog but you know hes in that tightly bundled blanket at the end of the bed. ....
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:56 AM

11 month old female lab has started nesting..help !!

Hi Guys,

Love some advice on this one. We have a real cute 11 month old yellow labrador called Sheba. Over the last week she has taken to treating one of the cushions on our sofa as a puppy, scratching the pillow into her and licking it all over, accompanied by whinning. She has had her first 'heat' some 4 months ago and is not pregnant.

Is this normal and is there a known proceedure to follow to see her through this behaviour.

All advice much appreciated......Thanks
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Spay Her Asap !!!!
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Champion fluffer

My Heidi Ho Ho has to be the champion "fluffer". She fluffs everything before lying down. She can create quite the dust storm from my sister' s front door mat.

I swear that dog would try to fluff sandpaper!!! Hmmmm. Maybe I should try that, one way of keeping her nails filed down
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Never had a dog that didn't nest. My mini Dachshunds were super nesters and fluffers - just like Goldengirl's Heidi.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Oh Molly nests...right on top of my eyelet comforter. There are loose threads everywhere. The joys of having a dog...
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Not sure if this is nesting or not.

I bought Joey a dog bed. Thinking that maybe I could let him sleep on his dog bed. He slept in his crate before with the door shut. I got him to lay down on his bed gave him his stuffies and the blanket. In the morning he was still there so it seem to have worked out well.

The next night I did the same thing over again, went to check on him a while later and he wasnt on the bed. I looked over and he was in his crate with his stuffies and his blanket.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Aw. Cute! I have a very hard time with nesting. My 5 year old pit has scratched the couch finding his comfort zone and I am stuck sleeping with my one year old (55 lbs), and my two year old (80 lbs). Try sleeping sandwiched between two pits. Warm yes, comfortable.....not really!
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:42 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Funny story about nesting...this morning Simon woke me at 4:30am EST, which given his recent bladder/kidney issues, his wakeup paw gets me right out of bed, and then he goes to sit by my bedroom door until I'm dressed. As I was rummaging through the closet to look for my clogs, I heard a bit of a squeak, only to turn around and find Simon digging under my blankets and nesting in the spot I had just recently occupied. Of course, Peach joined in and I ended up cuddling them while they slept (have an antique double - no room for all of us to sleep well) The little snert's crafty, I'll give him that
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We have a few pulls in our sofas from Jesse nesting and if she's not comfortable on the bed while we are sleeping or wants the blanket, she will take her paw, pull the blanket off of us, and curl up in it. She doesn't care as long as she is comfortable.