Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Unhappy First Time Dog Owner Needs Help.....

After months of research and looking around shelters, I finally adopted my first dog on Friday – a senior Mastiff/Staffordshire Terrier Cross. He’s super laid back, except that he hasn’t been eating very much, and his bathroom breaks are relatively few… Suffice to say, I’m kind of feeling overwhelmed right now… wondering if I made a bad choice, wondering if I have what it takes to care for him, even thought about returning him to the shelter after 2 DAYS, even though he's totally well behaved… Just a lot of anxiety. This is in spite of the fact that I’d been preparing for so long, and that this wasn’t a rush decision….

My question is… is this all normal? If any of you could look back on your time as a first time dog owner and offer up any advice or stories I’d really appreciate it.. Thank You.

PS: He is going to the vet today
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Not knowing your dog at all, I would say this is all normal. The boy has been through a very stressful time. I get fosters all the time and I say a good 2 weeks to be settled and into a routine. Be easy on him for a little bit and just let him get use to his new surroundings.

Let us know how the vet visit went. Thank you for rescuing a dog!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

THANK YOU for adopting a senior dog!! What you are feeling is totally normal! It's the old "What the HELL have I done??" syndrome. Happens to all of us, and has certainly happened to me.

Put yourself in this dog's place. He has lost everything, doesn't know what is going to happen to him, and is probably pining the loss of his owners, even though they may have dumped him.

Give him lots of love and attention and you'll be surprised at how he will come around. Please don't give up on him. He's likely to die at the shelter if abandoned again!

The love of a old dog is very special!
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd love to see a photo! How old is he? Older dogs are less active and consequently eat less too.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I say it is normal,i could of lost it alot when i first got my pup,i thought oh my god,this is alot of work,forgot how much work a puppy is,but it issss all worth it to me,especially when you see the results and know you taught them all that stuff,it is a great feeling..
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Oh yeah, stress is very normal, for both the dog and the new owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

HaHa! Was that the voice of experience I heard?
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:45 AM

here you go, glasslass

Old July 28th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Beautiful!

What a sweetheart!

I don't know what's normal, but I know that I didn't get a good sleep for the first two weeks after I got my puppy. He was so tiny that I kept dreaming he was out of his cage and in our bed, and myself or my husband would squish him in our sleep!

I got over it... and he's bigger now...

You just care a lot, which has a lot more positive to it than negative!
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Hi, I felt the same way when we first brought our puppy home. I was so nervous that I would do something wrong I couldn't sleep. We are all now in a routine now and its a lot easier.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Everything will be ok!! I rescued a dog (3 y.o) about 5 months ago and it has been a rollercoaster ride!! We've come a LONG way and I wouldn't trade him in for the world! Everything you are feeling is normal - honest!!! Some days I still say that phrase ("What the hell am I doing??")

Hang in there, keep giving him lots of love and attention, and he will begin to turn around!! He is a gorgeous dog, and he looks happy!!! Please don't give up on him!!! You are an angel for rescuing a big, senior dog - they are the ones that usually get left behind!! How old is he about??

Talk to Freyja - she has been in the same boat all too recently, eh Jane?? And she has done a FANTABULOUS job with Lindy!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww - he's just gorgeous! In a couple of weeks, you'll wonder how you ever got along without him.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww! Nice experienced puppy! You're just doubting yourself right now. You two will be bonding in no time and you'll wonder how you could get along without him. So few older guys luck out like he did!
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

All these things you are feeling are normal. My last three fur kids were rescues and it takes them time to get to know and trust you some of these guys come from bad situations and it takes a while till they realize that you are not going to harm them or starve them or ignore them. It is really a matter of time he will start eating more as he gets more comfortable. I find that talking to them in a calm voice makes them feel more comfortable. Keep us updated on his progress he is very cute. By the way mastiffs get very attached to you and I am sure this guy will be your biggest fan. I am very glad you went for a senior rescue these guys are great. Just to add Lucky is right no matter how awful a dog is treated they will still do everything to please so he probably is a little confused as well.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

So what are you two doing together? How is he settling in?
What's his name?
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
So what are you two doing together? How is he settling in?
What's his name?
He's VERY lazy, he doesn't like long walks... he seems most content when we're watching TV and I'm rubbing his belly. He just sleeps on the bed all day when I'm at work... We sleep together on the bed, except when my girlfriend is over.... there's just not enough room! So I think he knows my apartment is a home... he just might not realize that it's permanent...

His name is CHESTER...
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

He sounds pretty content and pretty happy!!! Good job!!! Keep rubbing his belly - nothing says "love" like a good ol' belly rub!!!! Do you know how old he is? Why he was given up? He is absolutely adorable - can't say it enough!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Approximately how old is Chester?

Old dogs are like that - they just want to be with you. They've "been there, done that" and make wonderful companions.

But as great as they are, they have few options since many people do not want them. Thanks again for saving this ol' guy. He will give back 110% of what you give him.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is he???
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM

The vet says that he is around 7 or 8... possibly older but he has really good teeth
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you in a house or apt??? He is adorable,maybe i should research a little more into an older dog[i live in an apt]
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi, some dogs are just not good for apartment life - regardless of age. I wouls research into different breeds to see what works best for you and your lifestyle. Then yeah, an older dog might be the better idea. That way you don't have to deal with house training (maybe) and basic training - though I do find that part fun!!! BUT I would hold off if I were you. Don't rush into anything!!! Remember, your dog will ALWAYS need some kind of training regardless of age - that was one reason that Damien moved... I don't mean so sound rude - sorry if it sounds that way I just don't want to "see" you go through heart ache again!!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

In no way was damien moved just because i was in an apt..And no i am not ready right now for another pet....Just asking questions,not gonna run out and get a dog today...And i am not offended,i know what went on in my home with damien and i am very satisfied with what desicion i made.....
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Awesome!!! I am very glad to hear that!!! You're wicked!!
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Believe me,i see everyones pics here and get so jealous,and so tempted,but good things come to those who wait and i will..I kind of look at it as .not every couple will click and work out,just as not every pet will click and work out with there owner,it does happen and i guess on the bright side i can just think to myslef damien became jealous because he loved me so much and thought he was my man............Ok i know that was cheesy,just let me go with it........
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Wicked is he thought you were his mama and didn't like seeing some man messing with his mama. Mama's are on pedestals!
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Laos. Maybe Chester is just enjoying the comforts of a home and doesn't want to go outside it for awhile until the novelty of having a home wears off and he begins to realize that it really is his home! You have to remember that this dog probably formed some attachments in the past and he's had his heart broken maybe several times. It'll take time. Enjoy discovering each other.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

It is crazy,but i swear that is what it was, a jealous dog,who knew that was possible....
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Very possible! If I pay too much attention to Corky, Den-Den turns his back on me and faces the wall. He never gets mad at Corky, just at me. I'm very careful to feed Den-Den the first tidbit, etc. Have to follow the proper heirarchy you know. Their relationship is so special, don't want to cause any problems between them.

Laos, give Chester time. He doesn't know you're not temporary yet. I enjoy those moments when I'm reading, curled up in a down throw on the sofa, having a cup of coffee and my Den-Den snuggled up by me sound asleep. He's 6 now and settling down. Older dogs have their own beauty!
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Jealousy in animals is veryyyyy possible - happens here all the time!! If I'm petting one of the cats, Brick will come up and start nosing me and being a pest. If I'm petting one cat and not the other, the other one will come and sit right on my head or my chest or on my arm so I can't see the other cat or pet them!!! LOL

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN: