Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
Our old dog Chopper was great around our kids, but did knock our daughter down a few stairs ( by accident, not knowing how big he was!) No injuries though
How much does your Leo shed? I can handle hair, but how much are we talking here????? I think by nature Leo's are quieter than BMD, of coarse there are no guarentees

Kwilli Great pick!!!!!!
he blows his coat fully twice a year, and the other times about a handleful a day ( at least thats what I get from the brush each day) then there is surface hair when you pet him...
guess you can say all the time do not wear black or dark clothes hahahaha
their coats are much rougher than a BMD's, coarser
when we do wash him ( that's if he doesn't climb into the bath tub with you) I usally use a small amount of cream rince afterwards to help with the brushing and the softness

I know some leo's that are like Bree , 3 to be exact ( hyperness/energy I mean ) they really are just huge puppies until about 3 or 4 until they mature and some never do..

Last edited by breeze; January 7th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM

That is alot of hair! You must have the lint brushes handy!
I would be happy with either, or both! lol...
I think this will take awhile, my hubby is not on the same page as me, yet...
Big decisions, thanks everyone for your help!!!
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
That is alot of hair! You must have the lint brushes handy!
nope no lint brushes, we just buy/wear clothes in accordance of the shedding season
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
-

Sorry to butt in, but I saw a photo of a Pyr and just had to post a pic of our Pepsi when she was alive

Name:  Pepsi, Bud and Cocoa 001.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  46.8 KB

Kwilli, love your guys, the Boxer friend too

Breeze, you know how I feel about Bree and Archer
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Well, I heard back from Lucie and she isn't having a litter until Summer and has referred me to her friend in Cape Cod who has litters now, and in the summer. She is very nice and has a friend who lives about 20 mins away with a Leo that we are going to go visit. I'm soooo excited!
We will probably visit Lucie as well, but she is 2.5 hrs or so, so I think we'll go 20 mins frist, my hubby is slowly coming around!
Will keep you all posted!
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM

In our house we have a Berner, a Golden, a Leo and a rescued Bichon/Poodle who is the true character in the house. When he came to us back in April, neither Louie (Berner) nor Savannah (Leo) liked him at all, but Harley was persistent and today he and Savannah are the best of buds.

Louie is the oldest and will be 6 next month. Unfortunately, in September I noticed his neck glands were severely swollen, and he was diagnosed with Lymphoma and has been under going chemo for over 3 months now. We always said Louie was an old soul as he has a serious look, and never was a hyper dog. He is doing well with treatment, and is more like a puppy than he has ever been. This first round of chemo will hopefully see him make it through a year whereas the next session would only offer a 15% chance of making it to the next year.

Savannah, on the other hand, has always been hyper, but now at 4 she has calmed down a lot. Back when we got Savannah, we were to have got a pup from Heronview, but there were not enough pups in the litter for all those on the waiting list, and no Ontario breeders had pups at the time so my daughter went to see a breeder in B.C. and then we flew out to bring Savannah back in a Sherpa bag. Yes, Heronview dogs are gorgeous, and Lori is a wonderful person.

Actually, the Berner and Leo are my daughter and SIL's, but since I am the dog sitter and super dooper scooper, I consider them mine too.

My Golden is 5-1/2 and Harley is going to be 1 next month so we had 4 puppies within 5 years in this house.

While many Berners succumb to malignant hystiocytosis and other cancers, as well as bloat, more and more on the board I belong to are living to double digits.

I should say Savannah was the most destructive of all our dogs when younger. Before I took over as dog sitter, my kids hired a professional sitter when they went on holidays, and they returned to find the hall wall chewed up in many areas. Later she moved on to the wood trim. My SIL became expert at doing this type of repairs.

Never had any experience with 4 dogs before as the most we ever had was two, but I can tell you I marvel at the difference in personalities.

Take care,
Pat
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Wow Goldengal, that is the opposite of what I have heard about Leo's ! Goes to show that they all have their own personality!
That scares me a bit, as the breeder I am talking to is assuring me that her pups will be the sweetest calmest babies! I sure hope she is right!
We will be going to visit Lucie in Tremblant soon, and will keep you all posted!
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Half Way To Crazy

kwilli
beautiful picture of them all sitting together

Chris Pepsi sure is a beauty

flicka keep us posted
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Cute pics everyone, thanks for sharing, helping me get my doggie fix

Spent the afternoon at the dog park yesterday, loved it! My favs were a 7 month old Newfie pup and a 4 month old St. bernard pup, so sweet, saw quite a few Berners too! All the Berners seemed to be high energy! They all loved the snow!

Breeze; what difference if any did you notice with Leos male and female when you spent time with them? The breeder is recommending a sweet quite girl for us?
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you at all considered a St. Bernard? We rescued one last year and she's turned out beautifully! She's big, she's LAZY, she LOVES our son to death, and is really mellow (given her crappy start in life, she'd done well). Oh, and she farts, and snores REALLY loud, and sheds and oh, the drool, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love all giant breeds and wouldn't hesitate to get another in a second. Yes, it's been said they don't live long, but our mastiff mix Bear is turning 10 this year, so it just goes to show you, you just never know.

Last edited by Bearsmom; January 11th, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom View Post
Have you at all considered a St. Bernard?
I have.. I have..

but we are only allowed 2 dogs
bylaw
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom View Post
Have you at all considered a St. Bernard? We rescued one last year and she's turned out beautifully! She's big, she's LAZY, she LOVES our son to death, and is really mellow (given her crappy start in life, she'd done well). Oh, and she farts, and snores REALLY loud, and sheds and oh, the drool, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love all giant breeds and wouldn't hesitate to get another in a second. Yes, it's been said they don't live long, but our mastiff mix Bear is turning 10 this year, so it just goes to show you, you just never know.
Oh yes! They were a big consideration, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the drool! I wish it didn't bug me, but it would. I actually met a beautiful sweet 4 month old st bernard pup yesterday, and fell in love!
I'm trying to do as much research as possible to pick the best dog for us. I have looked into rescue, but didn't have a good previous experience, and most rescue groups are hesitant to give us a giant dog with our 3 kids. I think it would be better if the pup was raised around our kids, and all the neighbourhood kids that are always around!

Thanks for suggestions, any pics of your st bernard?
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course there are, just look in the pictures thread, (or click on my username and select "find all posts by Bearsmom"), there's a few in there (although not enough according to Frenchy....lol)
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Sweet pics!
The other breed we are considering is a Newfie!
Again, the drool issue... anyone with a newfie or st bernard want to share their droolissues?? How much? All the time? Does it bother you???
Maybe it's not that big of a deal?!?!?!
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My neighbour has a short haired Saint bernard, and she doesn't drool much at all.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

She mostly drools a lot when she's eating or drinking, or in a panic (given her abuse issues), we were approached last week by a strange man who tried to pat her on the head without asking, and when he approached her, she began her panic drooling. It's probably the worst when she shakes her head, but you get very skilled at drool dodging.

We have a full set of drool towels handy, and the "magic eraser" for dried droolies is my best friend.
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM

I appreciate the replies!
I think the drool would bother me, and my husband has said NO WAY to a potential drooler
I did find another Leonbereger breeder who seems very nice, smaller home raised breeder. She is located near Havelock Ontario, anyone have any experience or heard of them? I don't know if I'm allowed to post the name of the breeders, but she is Andrea. They are ckc reg. and have taken quite a bit of time talking to me!
I'm still torn with the whole male/female issue??? She said other than the size difference, although, her largest Leo was actually a girl, is that she finds the girls to be more playful, and boys more laid back. We are deffinatly in the market for a laid back, go with the flow, snuggle bug!
I know there are always exceptions, but anyone care to share their ideas on male vs female??
Thanks, I love this forum!!!!
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Leonberger, gentle giants.....

I am a proud Leonberger owner. My girl is now 5 years old. I got her when she was 2. She had been used simply for breeding and not treated too well either. When I got her she was 50 pounds underweight and spent the first two weeks in my closet. Don't think she had ever seen steps before, and was sensitive to all sounds (scared of plastic bags). She came out of her shell gradually but she is a testement to the breed.
She loves people and children.....they can wrap their arms around her neck and she will lay down for them...she has never bitten, snapped or growled. She is so gentle and loving. I wouldn't trade her for the world. She loves to be around her people and loves car rides. Her best friend is a border collie from across the street.........you could never go wrong as far as I am concerned with this breed...
Don't take anything personal"
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:35 AM

Talking Leonbergers get my vote :-)

I have not been on this forum for a few years and came on tonight and saw a thread close to my heart :-)

I see a few of you know me :-) I am Lori who has the Leonbergers at Heronview and I thank you for all the kind words.

I have been breeding Leonbergers since 1996 and still think they are the best dogs around. I have 5 leos right now. Savannah 7 , Sadie 4 1/2 , Heidi 3 , Emma 14 mths and Kramer 14mths

Let me tell you a little more about the breed. Leos are wonderfully kind sensitive dogs who are addicted to people. They do not do well with any type of forceful training but will try their best to please you. When any of mine act up I just have to cross my arms and stare crossly at them. You would of thought I beat them !! They will try and get me to forgive them. The worst punishment for a leo is to be ignored. Leos want to be with their people all the time. The majority of leos love children and are pretty gentle around them. Now puppies are another story they think kids are playmates and will nip and jump until you teach them to be gentle. Leos excel at therapy work . Now the leos I am talking about come from breeders who raise their pups in their homes and socialize them, As you can see on here already there is one that came from not such a good situation and she is trying to be the best she can be now that she knows love and is gaining confidence
The difference between boys and girls. The boys are generally bigger although my girls are the size of a lot of boys. The boys have the big noggin and mane. They are also the goofballs of the breed. They never seem to grow up. Sound familier ?

The best think you can do is meet and talk to a few breeders. Ask question ask about health tests how often they breed their females.

Hope I answered some questions for you

Hi Pat hope all is well

Lori

Last edited by Ford; January 26th, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: No self-promo please
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Vel!

I am torn, the more people I talk to the more confused i get
We have decided to visit a breeder of Berners and Leo;s and see which breed we and our kids feel more comfortable with. We actually got referred to a breeder that breeds both, she is just past Toronto ON. So she may be a good option to be able to see both together
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Hi Lori ..... Just stopped by and was surprised to see you here.

I'll never forget when we came to Heronview and met your Leos, and especially Bogie who left such an impression. They truly are a wonderful breed and knock down gorgeous. Savannah gives the best kisses in this house and then wee Harley.

Good to see you here Lori, and oh yes, must say I have been watching your puppy blog and am in love.

Take care,
Pat
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Hi Lori

I just noticed your reply on here ( we must have been writing at the same time )

I actually sent you an email to inquire more about Leo's and you but never got a reply, I sent it from a link on your website, maybe it was never received
I too have been following your blog, and am in love with your new babies, I love the pic. of the pup and grown up with their noses together

I appreciate your reply, I am learning so much about Leo's and am more in love each day, I just need to get out to visit a breeder, I can't wait to meet them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronview View Post
I have not been on this forum for a few years and came on tonight and saw a thread close to my heart :-)

I see a few of you know me :-) I am Lori who has the Leonbergers at Heronview and I thank you for all the kind words.

I have been breeding Leonbergers since 1996 and still think they are the best dogs around. I have 5 leos right now. Savannah 7 , Sadie 4 1/2 , Heidi 3 , Emma 14 mths and Kramer 14mths

Let me tell you a little more about the breed. Leos are wonderfully kind sensitive dogs who are addicted to people. They do not do well with any type of forceful training but will try their best to please you. When any of mine act up I just have to cross my arms and stare crossly at them. You would of thought I beat them !! They will try and get me to forgive them. The worst punishment for a leo is to be ignored. Leos want to be with their people all the time. The majority of leos love children and are pretty gentle around them. Now puppies are another story they think kids are playmates and will nip and jump until you teach them to be gentle. Leos excel at therapy work . Now the leos I am talking about come from breeders who raise their pups in their homes and socialize them, As you can see on here already there is one that came from not such a good situation and she is trying to be the best she can be now that she knows love and is gaining confidence
The difference between boys and girls. The boys are generally bigger although my girls are the size of a lot of boys. The boys have the big noggin and mane. They are also the goofballs of the breed. They never seem to grow up. Sound familier ?

The best think you can do is meet and talk to a few breeders. Ask question ask about health tests how often they breed their females.

Hope I answered some questions for you

Hi Pat hope all is well

Lori
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Going to visit Breeder

so, we are finally going to visit a Leo Breeder on Sat. I am so excited!!! She has 5 Leos of her own for us to meet as well as 8 puppies. As for the puppies we are not going to be able to hold them yet, but we will be able to observe them. I'm mostly excited to meet her 5. There are 4 girls and 1 big boy, so hopefully we'll get a good variety of personalities!

Can't wait, will keep you posted!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
banned user

You will soooo enjoy meeting the pups at Heronview...always the hightlight of my visits there when going for raw food. Lori was so kind to a guest I had visiting from Brunswick, Ga last summer and I cannot thank her enough for her kindness.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
You will soooo enjoy meeting the pups at Heronview...always the hightlight of my visits there when going for raw food. Lori was so kind to a guest I had visiting from Brunswick, Ga last summer and I cannot thank her enough for her kindness.
Not going to Heronview, but a breeder in Havelock.
I'm really looking forward to it. We have been emailing back and forth, and finally had a great chat on the phone the other day. She was very knowledgeable and helpful. I feel very comfortable going to see her.
I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:01 PM

I will be waiting for puppy pics!
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM

OMG We picked a pup!!!!!!!!

So we went, we saw, we fell in love!
We picked a male Leo pup, he will be coming home in 4 weeks!!!!!!
We are so excited! The kids loved the dogs, each wanted to take home a different dog
We were not able to hold the pups yet, they were too small, but we got to hang out with the grown ups, and they were awesome! We fell in love with the male, if we could take him home, he'd be living here already!
So now, we wait, we prepare, we fight over his name lol...
Can't wait, Pics to follow!
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
You can call me DOG!

Congratulations Flicka on the Leo! Now the name...

What we did with both our little pups is we went onto various websites relating to the breeds (English Springer & English Setter) and checked out names of different Champions.

It helped narrow down a different, unique name.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM

That's a great idea!
We have a few, it is getting all 5 family members to agree
Next step, start puppy proofing the house!
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:40 PM

bernese or leon

I can't tell you much about the leon, but i have a male pup coming.

My bernese is 7 now and never has had a health issue, she just had a check up and vet said how awesome she is doing. I realize they can have health issues, I know another dog is town who is also 7, from same breeder, no health issues. That being said: I know a couple passed away from cancer at a young age. Mine is so mellow and relaxed and will do anything I ask of her. Only negative thing with her is her anxiety issues of thunder and gun shots. She has it severe.