Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Characteristics of a Shih Tzu?

Hello! I have a shih tzu/poodle mix although I find he's more on the shih tzu side. I've done some research on their typical personalities and find he definitely resembles those traits. I'm currently reading Dog Whisperer's Short Guide to a Happy Dog and he encourages dog owners to promote the specific breeds' behavior (ie: hunting dogs, water dogs, etc.). I'm just curious if anyone knows what the breed specific 'job' is for a shih tzu? It's certainly not a water dog, hunting, herding, etc. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows or if anyone else has a shih tzu that can tell me how they use up their playful energy! Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Others may well be able to provide more info but as far as i know they were bred to be lap dogs. Many of them can be fairly spunky but a moderate daily walk or two should tire them out.

Even though the dooger is small, obedience training is recommended.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Hi Marko, thanks for the response and you're most probably right! I just started dog obedience and my instructor said the same thing . So basically they're meant to be lazy dogs lol. I'm guess I'm just curious of how to drain his puppy energy other than playing. He is weird when it comes to walking...he's fine with the snow but in the fall he wouldn't walk on the road! And with it being cold I don't want to go on long walks. Anyway, thanks again for the response!

I also have another breed question. What is the difference between a shih tzu and Maltese (both short hair)? I've determined the difference between them and a lasa apso but I find with Maltese they look exactly alike! Anyway, just curious!
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

For info on the different dog breeds, we have a dog breed profile section to this site - Please feel free to check it out.
http://www.pets.ca/dogs/breed-profiles/

Hope it may help
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Fuzz Lover

I believe Shih Tzus are toy breeds. I don't think they have a specific "job" like a hunting dog. I have two Westie mixes, and they both definitely display some of the traits of a Westie (sniffing out everything, stubbornness). One is half poodle, and the other half Lasa Apso. We basically go on walks and play in the apartment. You could try taking yours to a dog park to use up some of the energy, or maybe arrange "playdates" with friends who have dogs? I've found now that I have two they can amuse themselves (sometimes, although they definitely prefer to be amused by me! lol)