Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM

GSD vs Belgian Malinois

When I purchased my baby, I was told by the breeder, he is a straight back GSD. Realizing there are many types but never heard that term before, I accepted it. I know you've had many forums from me complaining about his behavior, and how I'm at my wits end well... upon looking it up on the net, I found out my little GSD is not a GSD but a Belgian Malinois, in the GSD family but built for strength, and speed. I took my little angel out in a field in early February and he ran 50 feet ahead of me, stopped, turned around and made a bullet run right into me, and used me as a bowling pin. Good thing i'm not old enough yet for broken bones etc... he is extremely fast and needs the running space, we take him through the bushes allot and he will jump over ravines and jump through ponds. He looks like a miniature deer when he jumps. He is now 16 months old and on his hind legs, he can easily put his front paws on my shoulders for kisses.
A Belgian Malinois has a massive chest and a very tiny waste for speed and strength, they are the #1 Law enforcement dogs, recue, search, drug dogs, because they can get into the tiniest places with ease.
Attached Images

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I've never seen a totally black Mal, but I suppose it's possible. My dog used to do that to me when she was a pup, up until about 2! She stopped pretty much when she discovered that Mom would side step just before she'd get to me...takes the fun out of using me as a launch pad! He is a gorgeous boy for sure!!
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM

Thank you Patty. Yes I'm anxious for the two mark. I wanted a black one. You cannot see him whatsoever in the dark, his eyes are dark brown. He clears park benches in one leap. This summer I will train him to climb a ladder and while on the roof, clean the eve throffs. He is very gentle when needed, my father has dementia and the dog knows to be real gentle and protective.
Would I get another one? Oh he'll no! But I will love and spoil this one FUREVER!
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie View Post
Thank you Patty. Yes I'm anxious for the two mark. I wanted a black one. You cannot see him whatsoever in the dark, his eyes are dark brown. He clears park benches in one leap. This summer I will train him to climb a ladder and while on the roof, clean the eve throffs. He is very gentle when needed, my father has dementia and the dog knows to be real gentle and protective.
Would I get another one? Oh he'll no! But I will love and spoil this one FUREVER!
If your dog can't be seen in the dark maybe you should think of buying him a collar that glow in the dark so people will be able to see the collar if he run into the road.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM

Thank you BarkingDog.

I wanted a black one for protection first and foremost, people breaking into homes cannot see him in the dark or if they get into the backyard. He is not loose unless he's in the bushes with us. I live on a cul de sac which has only 5 homes, he has never left the front yard, he will run around the cars, and go to the sidewalk but has always turned around to be with us. I would never jeapordize his life or well being. I've invested too much in him and want him around for a very LONG time. Thank you for being concerned and some typical owners that would be very good advic

Take care
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Some people are afraid of black dogs , I had a black Standard Poodle and some people would back away from him when he tried to hug them. So just having a black dog should keep some people away.

http://www.startseeingblackdogs.com/...id=9&Itemid=12

black dog syndrome is common in the states , I am not sure if this is true in Canada too.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:44 AM

Wink

Wow! I didn't know that, there are alot of black dogs around here sort of like cars. I'm so sorry to hear that though. They are great in discouraging anyone at night. Thank you for sharing that with me. I'll have to look at Canadian stats, but like I said, they are very popular here, like cars. I guess we are more morbid LOL
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm a bit confused. Is he a rescue dog? How can a reputable breeder not know what breed of dog they are breeding? Did you think you were getting a purebred dog? If you did then legally the parents MUST be registered with the CKC, or possibly AKC, and there would be no doubt. Assuming the breeder did not lie and assuming only one male bred the bitch.

It does appear the Malinois does not come in solid black, at least solid black is not accepted in the Canadian Standard. The long haired Belgian Shepherds can be black.

http://www.bsdcc.org/standard.html

I know two Mals (not to be confused with Malamutes) one does flyball and one shows up at our Rally trials. Both are extremely high energy, focused, competitive dogs. I mention these two competitive venues because perhaps you would like to consider such outlets for this breed's need for action and mental work? REally, Rally is a bit staid in the lower levels, what about agility?

Lovely, sharp, alert looking dog you have there. Just gorgeous.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wow! I didn't know that, there are alot of black dogs around here sort of like cars. I'm so sorry to hear that though. They are great in discouraging anyone at night. Thank you for sharing that with me. I'll have to look at Canadian stats, but like I said, they are very popular here, like cars. I guess we are more morbid LOL
I see a lot of small white dogs around when I Marty out for his walks , yes he is a small white dog too. I tried to recuse a black dog but I did not find many small black dogs The one I did see where not safe to have around kids as the poor dogs been abused .
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I'm a bit confused. Is he a rescue dog? How can a reputable breeder not know what breed of dog they are breeding? Did you think you were getting a purebred dog? If you did then legally the parents MUST be registered with the CKC, or possibly AKC, and there would be no doubt. Assuming the breeder did not lie and assuming only one male bred the bitch.

It does appear the Malinois does not come in solid black, at least solid black is not accepted in the Canadian Standard. The long haired Belgian Shepherds can be black.

http://www.bsdcc.org/standard.html

I know two Mals (not to be confused with Malamutes) one does flyball and one shows up at our Rally trials. Both are extremely high energy, focused, competitive dogs. I mention these two competitive venues because perhaps you would like to consider such outlets for this breed's need for action and mental work? REally, Rally is a bit staid in the lower levels, what about agility?

Lovely, sharp, alert looking dog you have there. Just gorgeous.
I meet some people that had a mini poodle , they told me they when to a breeder to get a toy poodle . The breeder said the puppy was a toy poodle but it grew up to be a mini poodle. The owners said they where keeping the dog as they loved it but they really wanted a smaller dog. They had no idea if the breeder lied just to made a sale .
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM

I wanted a black GSD. My regular breeders bitch was not in heat so I looked around and the breeder sells different types of GSDs. His parents were very. Small but fast, they looked like GSD, but were able to turn on a dime. They were used for rescue, search, drugs, law enforcement, service. Shiloh was only 5 weeks when I picked him up and although he did not look like my other GSD, he has most if the character traits. I watched his dad run and he stopped and turned on a dime. Not sure why he called him a straight back, I was told there are many types. $500.00 later he was mine. I was impressed that he was short haired and as he grew, noticed how defined and big his chest was and a very skinny waste. My other GSD had killed his first cat by age 1. Really upset me, but that's evolution. This one had never attempted to kill, has no Interest in other animals. Like a mirror opposite. He has had his trials and errors but he's almost 2 and is changing everyday for the best. My other GSD took 7 strides to get to the back if the yard, Shiloh runs different, he uses his front legs for speed and unlike my other dog, will and can take you down in a heartbeat. I think prey have no chance in my opinion. Where I bought Shiloh is from a breeder that is both a local police officer with his wife. They fed their dogs nothing but raw meat and distillers water.also had an agility course and did training.
I'm happy with my choice. They also had brown, brindle. Black and Tan dogs.
Sorry for rambling... It's a passion.

Last edited by Terrie; May 2nd, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Kitty pimp

looks like a small Shepard and yeah black dogs are scary to a lot of folks
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM

Hey Jim
Welcome to the convo. Sorry he is about 7 months old in that picture, he stands 5' 4" on his hind legs right now at 16 months old, and can jump and hit a 7 foot ceiling. I wish he was a GSD but has the build and stamina of a Mal.

I hope he stops growing soon because he squeezed all the room in the bed at night.

He is short haired, has a huge chest, very very fast, doesn't run like my GSD did. he runs to describe, front paws, then hind paws.. my GSD was right front and hind then left front and hind. If that makes sense.
I'll try to get a better side view this weekend and send it. Remember he's only 16 months old, they grow to 2 years and weight 77 lbs per the vets two weeks ago.
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL. if you had a mal (which I sincerely believe you do not) there would be NO questioning as to whether or not you had one.... trust me. You would know. And you would not have a solid black mal.

Also, german shepherds are actually NOT supposed to have a roached back, They have been bred that way because show fanciers believe it looks prettier. And they don't care that it limits working ability. It is a shame really.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
LOL. if you had a mal (which I sincerely believe you do not) there would be NO questioning as to whether or not you had one.... trust me. You would know. And you would not have a solid black mal.

Also, german shepherds are actually NOT supposed to have a roached back, They have been bred that way because show fanciers believe it looks prettier. And they don't care that it limits working ability. It is a shame really.
I just check that about GSD with roached back and the it looks like the poor dogs can barely walk. I agree it's really a shame how people are breeding dogs just for looks and not caring how it will effect the dogs. This has happen to the collies too.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM
banned user

Quote:
When I purchased my baby, I was told by the breeder, he is a straight back GSD. Realizing there are many types but never heard that term before, I accepted it. I know you've had many forums from me complaining about his behavior, and how I'm at my wits end well... upon looking it up on the net, I found out my little GSD is not a GSD but a Belgian Malinois, in the GSD family but built for strength, and speed. I took my little angel out in a field in early February and he ran 50 feet ahead of me, stopped, turned around and made a bullet run right into me, and used me as a bowling pin. Good thing i'm not old enough yet for broken bones etc... he is extremely fast and needs the running space, we take him through the bushes allot and he will jump over ravines and jump through ponds. He looks like a miniature deer when he jumps. He is now 16 months old and on his hind legs, he can easily put his front paws on my shoulders for kisses.
A Belgian Malinois has a massive chest and a very tiny waste for speed and strength, they are the #1 Law enforcement dogs, recue, search, drug dogs, because they can get into the tiniest places with ease.
You are sadly mistaken this is not a Belgian Malinois I have one this is a German Shepherd. Mine is Pure Bred I have posted a lot about him. You really should google this breed
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
banned user

Question True

Quote:

I have a Belgian Malinois Moses a lot of people recognize my name as I have issues with him. There is absolutely no such colour as black and this breed does not come with long fur.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
banned user

Agree

Quote:

I have one Moses been on this site so many times with issues. This person has been mislead. Because he is fast mean nothing, mine is too. At least you are aware of this breed