Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM

cat food

what would be the best canned cat food to give my chewbacca?
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a few good ones, depending on what you can afford, what your cat likes, and what's available in your area. Grain-free is preferable, fish based foods should be limited to only a couple times a week, and I look for varieties without a ton of different protein sources. Wellness, By Nature Organics, Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo 95% meat, some of the Precise flavours, Wysong, etc. Here is a good link for what to look for in a commercial food: http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Professional Cat Cuddler

I've heard Innova Evo is good.

I feed my cats raw food and some dry cat food occasionally... canned at food really isn't a regular in my house. I think my sister buys FRISKIES?
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Sugarcatmom has given you some great choices, Merrick's & Eagle Pack Holistic Select are also good choices

yettiyodamarlo Raw is great, I feed my grrl raw as well.

I'd stay far away from Friskies Maybe you can pass this info on to your sister see if she'll change to a better food

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM

friskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Sugarcatmom has given you some great choices, Merrick's & Eagle Pack Holistic Select are also good choices

yettiyodamarlo Raw is great, I feed my grrl raw as well.

I'd stay far away from Friskies Maybe you can pass this info on to your sister see if she'll change to a better food
what is the problem with friskies? My cats love the dry dental diet and I do feed them the wet food.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese52 View Post
what is the problem with friskies? My cats love the dry dental diet and I do feed them the wet food.
The ingredients... just take a peek at them =x

Quote:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, digest of chicken products, cellulose, animal fat (preserved with BHA), fish meal, natural and artificial flavors, glycerin, calcium carbonate, tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, brewers dried yeast, soybean meal, phosphoric acid, salt, titanium dioxide color, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, potassium sorbate & ethoxyquin (preservatives), Vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A acetate, manganese sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), calcium pantothenate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), potassium iodide, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin. A-5004
What sounds good about that? =x Artificial flavours, BHA (labeled by the government as an expected human carcinogenic).. Soy... Corn! By products and digest? Ew, you don't even want to know what that stuff is made of. Ethoxyquin is banned in several countries because of it's carcinogenic properties and all respectable pet food companies have stopped using it. Potassium Sorbate is used to preserve things like soda and isn't that great for you. Fish meal is mostly the kind of fish that are rejected from the human food like. It could be any kind mof fish too.

I don't know much about the vitamins though...

Cats eat meat... not corn dyed funny colors with cancer causing chemicals used to preserve it.

I live with my mom still and she used to buy the food for all our cats.. and we were going threw upwards of probably 5 to 10 pounds of food per week when I had only 5 or 6 cats at the time. We'd constantly be buying food. We had to clean the litter box so many times a day and it always stunk. Back last November-ish I slowly started to switch them over to better stuff. Now with feeding 6 inside cats full time, 5 foster kittens and my 2 cats outside stop by for food... we go threw about 4-5 lbs of dry food a week, and about 4lbs of wet food a week to feed them all.

I'm switching my stray and feral cats over to better quality food as well because I can't have them eating all those preservatives. I'm going to be the one taking them to the vets if they ever get sick and that would cost me a fortune.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese52 View Post
Thank you Kathryn

Now have a look at the ingredients in Wellness Complete Health Chicken Dry catfood

Quote:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat(preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Cranberries, Tomato Pomace, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Hydrochloride, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.
Which would you rather eat?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Smile What Epa eats.

My cat Epa is 19 years old. Until January 2004, I fed her whatever dry food was on special like Friskies or Purina One. Then she almost died of fatty liver disease and I started looking for some better food and found Solid Gold. Epa likes Indigo Moon. Occasionally, she gets raw and cooked meat. She is old and arthritic, but is doing much better on this diet. Not all pet foods are alike. I would rather pay more for her food, than on vet bills.