Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old January 15th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Cats growling/hissing at each other

My two female cats (biological sisters) are about 9 months old and I took them 2 days ago to the vet to get spayed. Before their vet trip, they were always quite affectionate with me and each other. Since they came back, they've been hissing and growling any time they see each other. It seems to be getting a little better, but still, they were never this aggressive to each other before.

I'm guessing it's just the stress of being to the vet and all, and that eventually they'll snap out of it. I have to keep them separated when they sleep for now because otherwise they'll hiss and growl all night. I forgot to mention, the vet said the cats were already in heat when they were spayed. Don't know if that could be a reason why they're all upset with each other or not.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this normal behavior for cats?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sixshot; January 15th, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: forgot to mention they were in heat
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Apart from their hormones being seriously out of whack , there is often a period of adjustment when cats return from the vet. They smell and sometimes act a bit different than before (at least temporarily), which can be seen as threatening. Don't worry, they'll come around. I've heard that putting a drop of vanilla extract under their chins helps, I suppose because it gives them a common odour. But time should take care of this temporary contretemps.

for spaying.
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Kitty pimp

you can also try lavender
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have had that when my foster kittens have gone off to get spayed. They are usually best friends again in a couple of days.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Catlover2

Try a dab of butter

The smell of the vet office used to be enough to get my other cats hissing when one returned....that is normal.

Most cats love butter, so a little dab of butter on each of their foreheads, or on back of their necks should get them into mutual grooming. It takes a while for the homones to simmer down, but in a couple of weeks things should be back to normal. Let us know how these two sisters progress.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone! They seem to be doing a little better today... still hissing whenever they see each other, but no fights. I've been trying to make sure they sleep in separate places but I alternate where they sleep, so they each have to sleep in a room with the other cat's scent. I'll try the butter and vanilla extract too, hopefully that will help them recognize each other better.

Last edited by Sixshot; January 15th, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM

update

I'm getting a little worried about one of the cats. She woke up today with her inner eyelids appearing to be half open and they didn't go back down. Also she's been staying off by herself and when I petted her for a bit, she seemed to shiver.

I could be overreacting, but it seems like she's getting sick. Maybe a side effect of getting her shots? I had the vet give her the shots when I took them both in to get spayed.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixshot View Post
I'm getting a little worried about one of the cats. She woke up today with her inner eyelids appearing to be half open and they didn't go back down. Also she's been staying off by herself and when I petted her for a bit, she seemed to shiver.

I could be overreacting, but it seems like she's getting sick. Maybe a side effect of getting her shots? I had the vet give her the shots when I took them both in to get spayed.
No you are not overreacting. How is her incision? Is it red/swollen/oozing? Has she eaten?

Call you vet and get her in ASAP for a post op check. Kittens will go down very quickly.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM

re:update

She has eaten, and the incision looks fine. She's been growling at the other cat as usual and even began growling/hissing at me. She was resting on my lap and when I tried to move she seriously growled at me!

I've noticed that her eyelids do open all the way, but most of the time they seem half open or 1/3 of the way open. She was walking around with them half open and I think she was growling at stuff that she thought might be the other cat.
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixshot View Post
She has eaten, and the incision looks fine. She's been growling at the other cat as usual and even began growling/hissing at me. She was resting on my lap and when I tried to move she seriously growled at me!

I've noticed that her eyelids do open all the way, but most of the time they seem half open or 1/3 of the way open. She was walking around with them half open and I think she was growling at stuff that she thought might be the other cat.
Still doesn't sound like she is feeling very well. Has she used the litter box? Are you able to take her temperature?

Your vet should be offering a free post op check and I would still give him/her a call. If you are thinking something is amiss, then follow your instincts.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM

agreed

I can't take her temperature but I can tell something isn't right. I don't know if she used the litter box or not yet but I put her in a separate room so she wouldn't be stressed out by her sister (who seems just fine) and put out extra food, water, and another box for her. I went ahead and made an appointment to have her seen later today.
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear you are able to get her to the vets.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Well, turns out my cat had a mild fever and the vet thinks it may be a reaction to the vaccines. So he said just to keep an eye on her, but that she should be fine. It might explain why she has been so hostile to the other cat, if she's not feeling well.

Anyways thanks again for the help people have offered. It's nice to find a board where people are supportive
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is your kitty doing?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad your kitty will be okay. Just goes to show how well we know our babies.

Do you have an update on her?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Exact same thing happened with my cats. They are brothers from the same litter and usually start crying if one is separated from the other. I got them neutered and when they came home they quickly separated from each other. Lots of hissing too. Which was weird because neither have ever hissed before. Kyuubi had a rough time as his wound was swollen and would attack Azrael every time he got near.

As time wore on and the vile stench of the vet wore off, these guys went back to being normal.

Tags
behavior, cat, growl, hiss, spay