Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I average about 1.60 per pound of home made raw for my cats (no beef though). I do as LP suggested large packages that are cheaper per lb. and chicken that is on sale at no frills or superstore.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks L4H. I have alot to consider. I will talk to my vet tonight and pass all this by her. The teeth issue is one thing but the general overall health (or there lack of) is another.

I will keep everyone updated on tonights outcome. Keep fingers and everything else crossed for this little one.
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
NOT a senior member

Canned Innova Senior bought by the case costs me $23.50, which ends up being just shy of two bucks per can. I do believe that the Innova adult variety is actually cheaper, and I always buy by the case to save money on canned.

If you do choose to continue with canned, there are more affordable choices while still sticking with a good quality food.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

how did it go at the vet tonight???brenda.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

to your ground beef and rice mixture you can add two tums ground up for the calcium
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
how did it go at the vet tonight???brenda.
Well not so great. Here is an update:

Approximately 8+ years.
Gum and mouth infection
skin infection
ear infection
urinary infection
teeth unsalvageable (we figured that)

red blood cell count is good
internal organs working well
low blood sugar count (anemia)
white blood cell count dangerously low
flees (I had to by treatment for all my animals for 3 months: 6 cats, 1 dog) Nice!
kennel cough

and to top it off: PREGNANT AND READY TO DELIVER ANY DAY.

Decision made to terminate pregnancy Friday as she was vaccinated on the 4th which could affected the pups. Regardless, the real decision is based on the fact that she is too ill and weak and vet feels that she may not survive delivery.

Anyways, we will do what we can for her.:sad:
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
-

Not great news at all BenMax :sad:...she has the good fortune though that you are on her side and will do everything that can be done for this little girl.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Who the heck would do this to an innocent animal! How could ANYONE breed her and just dump her like this. Honestly, how can people live with themselves?

I am committed (as we all are in rescue) to save her. I cannot wait for the day where this little one will have no pain and be allowed to live her life like a normal pup. She did not deserve this.

As far as food goes, the vet recommended (for now) a special food and almost double the intake. She wants to worry about what to feed as far as types of food whether raw, boiled or whatever after she is out of the woods. She feels we need to focus on getting her sugar level and white blood count regulated. She is of course very concerned about the surgery but we collectively weighed the options - and there are not many.

Please say a prayer and send good vibes this way.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh Dear...quite a lot going on with that poor soul.

I can't imagine with all that going on, even without vaccines, that these pups would have stood a chance and certainly it is much too much of a burden on her weak immune system anyways.

I can't even imagine what would have happened to her if you had not taken her in and she had to have these pups alone

Sucks that your crew have to take the flea pills too...hope there are no reactions.

BenMax

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Sucks that your crew have to take the flea pills too...hope there are no reactions.

BenMax
It sucks but it's really the least of my problems. I bought the meds for my pets and that is the easiest part of all this. Funny I did not see the flees at home. She pulled out a dead one and suggested to treat mine just in case (well she told me it had to be done). Though I am not happy about it and never experienced this before, I am not going to worry too much about it. I was up until midnight disinfecting and this morning (on my day off) up at 6 am - yep - disinfecting.

She is doing well today. Just resting. Looking into those beautiful little eyes makes me love her even more. She will be fine - I truly believe that.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

She is doing well today. Just resting. Looking into those beautiful little eyes makes me love her even more. She will be fine - I truly believe that.
Believing is a big part of the battle BM, now that this little girl is in your care, she will start believing that she has a better life ahead.

Bless you for what you do.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

She is going to THRIVE...just like all the other lucky fosters around here who finally get to live the good life.

Vet is right...get the blood levels steady first.

Will be thinking, hoping and praying on Friday for this little soul

(6 a.m. on a day off!!!! That IS crazy!! Hope you got em all!)

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, as I see it, the things she has wrong, she should hopefully overcome. At least she did not have some disease that would make her get worse.

I think the most important is getting her infection cured and getting her blood to a healthy count. The best thing is she is now with someone who will help her and take care of her.

I'm sending you all of my prayers. I know she'll be okay.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Geek Club CEO

when is the surgery scheduled BenMax?

nevermind, just saw "Friday".
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I do RAW at home with my guys, and I grind their second meal of the day for a consistency change. It is quite easy to eat. I often use ground beef, a raw egg-shell included, some salmon oil, and perhaps some applesauce (or another pureeed fuit and veg etc). I love doing a homecooked or RAW diet because I go with what is seasonal, regional and looks exciting. I am confident that you can change the texture of almost any food to accomodate your little one, salmon for example also pulverizes well. My dogs literally dance with excitement when I feed them. It is unbelievable!
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, Benmax- apparently I was not on the right page when I posted.
Good luck with your dog. I am happy that you are taking care of her. Your passion for animals and your steady guidance will help your little one so much!
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

but if she's ready to deliver any day, won't the pups be alive when they abort?? she'd be full term??
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same thing. Poor babies never stood a chance. Crap, now I am crying.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

What do they do in that situiation? More like a c-section then Euth the babies?

Even if that is the case I cant see these pups being healthy anyways. And there are SO many healthy pups in shelters as there is... It will probbaly be best. Plus momma is in NO condition to nurse puppies.. She would run herself till dead trying to care for them.. Too much work for both her AND BenMax!

Its definatly for the best.

I wish you and this girl ALL the best BM!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
but if she's ready to deliver any day, won't the pups be alive when they abort?? she'd be full term??
Unfortunately yes Melinda. I was told today that she will require a blood transfusion so everything has gone from bad to worse. There is no way she will survive delivery. Her spirits are good but her body is weathered.

I know what you are probably thinking. I hardly slept last night thinking about this but I must keep her alive first and farmost. This is just devasting news.

I have focused all my attention to getting her healthy and I want so much for her to enjoy life. This dog is in pain and needs to know what life really is about pain free and carefree.

I am just praying that she does not deliver from now until Friday. I cannot deal with losing her if this happens. She is such a sweet girl.

I wish I could say something to appease everyone but Melinda I feel bad enough as it is. I took her, and I feel responsible now to help her as much as I can.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, I'm not sure I understand the situation? Why are the puppies being euthanized? Would she survive a c-section of the puppies? Sorry to hear about this...sending hugs your way!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
BenMax, I'm not sure I understand the situation? Why are the puppies being euthanized? Would she survive a c-section of the puppies? Sorry to hear about this...sending hugs your way!
I am not sure why the pups seem to be the focus to be honest. (alittle disturbed about this).

The dog was vaccinated fully 2 weeks ago where she was. I have had her since Thursday night. The vaccines aparently are harmful to the unborn. If you read her medical situation, she is not strong enough to nurse. She has infections which need to be remedied with meds, she is week and needs a transfusion. With this - how does this affect a nursing mother. Maybe someone here can answer that?

Honestly it was alittle gutsy for me to divuldge as much as I did, but I thought I would share. This is just a bad situation and I really wish the focus was on this dog and not the unborn.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Benmax, i pm'd Dr. Lee to see if he can give you any help for the poor pupper. Still don't understand people treating animals like this.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Benmax, i pm'd Dr. Lee to see if he can give you any help for the poor pupper. Still don't understand people treating animals like this.
We are on the same page. I pm'd him as well a while ago. I just need to feel somewhat better about this situation. Thanks Aslan. I appreciate it.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

the way i see it, momma dog is too sick to look after the pups. If the pups survive being removed then someone is going to have to syringe or tube feed them for quite awhile and they won't get the immunities from momma that they need.
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am not sure why the pups seem to be the focus to be honest. (alittle disturbed about this).

The dog was vaccinated fully 2 weeks ago where she was. I have had her since Thursday night. The vaccines aparently are harmful to the unborn. If you read her medical situation, she is not strong enough to nurse. She has infections which need to be remedied with meds, she is week and needs a transfusion. With this - how does this affect a nursing mother. Maybe someone here can answer that?

Honestly it was alittle gutsy for me to divuldge as much as I did, but I thought I would share. This is just a bad situation and I really wish the focus was on this dog and not the unborn.
Apologies if offence was taken to my question adding to the ones already made regarding the puppies. (I actually did scroll up but couldn't see any post made regarding her health or the vet results, until just now. My bad.)

It's a very sad situation, all around, unborn puppies included.

People are sick, and I'm very glad this dog found you. I'm sure she will have a much happier, healthier life in her future, thank goodness.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Apologies if offence was taken to my question adding to the ones already made regarding the puppies. (I actually did scroll up but couldn't see any post made regarding her health or the vet results, until just now. My bad.)

It's a very sad situation, all around, unborn puppies included.

People are sick, and I'm very glad this dog found you. I'm sure she will have a much happier, healthier life in her future, thank goodness.
Thanks Bailey. I appreciate the support. I have not stopped holding her and I feel just absolutely terrible. My head is spinning.

This is my last foster for a while. I just cannot keep going to places and pulling randomly like this. I have let my heart and not head lead me. But when I look at those faces.......what can I say :sad:.

Sorry, I am sensitive right now. I feel bad, real bad.

Damn those people really. They dumped her and now someone else has to do this. Our vet will not do this procedure unless necessary. She as well is not looking forward to this. She just wants the dog to live. She actually scolded me last night for trying to find a solution. I think I disappointed her, but I had to push the envelope knowing that I did everything possible.
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, of all people YOU should not be the one feeling bad. You're doing more than anyone else has done for this poor little soul, and you should rest easy knowing that you've aided in giving her a better life.

I'm sorry that it is so stressful though...but just try to focus on what everything will be like for your little dog AFTER she's all fixed up and she's on the mend. I'm sure she'll feel a way that she hasn't felt for a LONG time.

Your vet is right. Let *them* be the ones to take on her medical conditions, pregnancy included. You worry about your dog, and all will fall into place.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

How sad. I hope she recovers well from her upcoming procedure so that you can work on getting her healthy again.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I am sorry to hear about the struggles that this little girl is going through. I have not read through this entire thread but will offer the information that I can.

It sounds like antibiotics, supportive care and close monitoring are going to be the best to get her through this. A blood transfusion and C-Section will have to be decisions based upon the monitoring of the mother. If the anemia progresses and reaches a certain point, then a transfusion might be likely. I would not jump on one too early as giving a second transfusion can be laden with complications.

As far as the vaccines, it is unfortunate that they were given but may or may not be causing any problems. The difficulty with giving them is 1) the mother is very ill. It is not recommended to vaccinate the sick for a variety of reasons. and 2) she is pregnant.

I would have PCV (Pack Cell volume or HCT hematocrit -either way it is a blood percentage to look at the level of anemia) done regulary as well as a CBC (while this included a PCV it also will look to see if the body is producing young red blood cells and how many and also what the white blood cell count is - is it improving? Do we need to change or add another antibiotic? etc...)

I hope this helps. If you were looking for something more specific, please let me know.

I really do wish you, her and her pups the very best