Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Unhappy Need Input for the "Clancinator"

Hi everyone;

I've been adopted by an adorable kitten about 2 weeks ago. He's a 3-month old purebred ragdoll named Clancy, and came from a loving breeder and a great cat mommy. All has been going well with Clancy (also known as the "Clancinator") in his new home, including his developing relationship with his doggie brother. I couldn't be happier, except for one problem.

After a week of Clancy being in his new home and doing so well, I thought he was ready to begin the transition to a new cat litter. (The breeder thought his existing litter, "Yesterdays News", wasn't the greatest in terms of odour control for the long term). So, I began to add a new litter, "The Worlds Best Cat Litter", to the existing litter, to facilitate the litter transition.

The next day, I noticed Clancy didn't cover his poops, but otherwise used his litter box. The day after that, I added more of the new litter (I know, dumb idea) and he peed and pooped on my duvet! (Let me add that he LOVES my duvet--he chases the poofs of air in it, and I think he decided that it might also make a pretty neat potty.)

Well, I immediately went back to the "Yesterday's News" litter only, and kept my bedroom door closed for a couple of days. Clancy went back to his litter, no problem (covered his poops, etc). This morning, I left my bedroom door open to find pee and poops on my bed again!

One other thing to add: Clancy has his own bedroom, complete with tree, toys, twin bed, window perch, food, and litter. This is where he sleeps at night because his antics disturb Buddy the dog, who can't catch a wink otherwise. Clancy is less than thrilled with this arrangement, although he loves his stuff. I wonder if the "gifts" on my bed is payback.
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cats don't do payback. It's more he still smells his urine on the bed so feels he can use that spot. You need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the smell away. You may not smell it but I bet he can.
Have you noticed an ordour while using Yesterday's News? Other than the normal smell after he goes of course. It's a good litter. If you don't like that then move to one that is based on something with the same texture. Something like Swheat Scoop which is wheat based. It's expensive but lasts a long time so, compared to clay which needs to be changed a lot, it's not bad. If he's not complaining about YN then why change it?
What are you feeding? If he is on a good quality food, or raw even, then the smell shouldn't be that bad to start with. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Cats don't do payback. It's more he still smells his urine on the bed so feels he can use that spot. You need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean the smell away. You may not smell it but I bet he can.
Have you noticed an ordour while using Yesterday's News? Other than the normal smell after he goes of course. It's a good litter. If you don't like that then move to one that is based on something with the same texture. Something like Swheat Scoop which is wheat based. It's expensive but lasts a long time so, compared to clay which needs to be changed a lot, it's not bad. If he's not complaining about YN then why change it?
What are you feeding? If he is on a good quality food, or raw even, then the smell shouldn't be that bad to start with. JMO

Actually, I like Yesterday's News. I was kind of going by what the breeder was telling me, based on her experience as a cat owner. I'm going to stick to Yesterday's news from now on though. Now, if I can just stop Clancy from doing his business on my bed. The thing is, he's peed and pooped on the duvet cover AND two separate duvets, one without the cover on. He hadn't been on it before, so he didn't smell himself on it. Do you think he just likes the poofiness of it?
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
Actually, I like Yesterday's News. I was kind of going by what the breeder was telling me, based on her experience as a cat owner. I'm going to stick to Yesterday's news from now on though. Now, if I can just stop Clancy from doing his business on my bed. The thing is, he's peed and pooped on the duvet cover AND two separate duvets, one without the cover on. He hadn't been on it before, so he didn't smell himself on it. Do you think he just likes the poofiness of it?

You need to start from the beginning. He needs to be put in his room with his toys, litter box, scratching post, food and water. He can not come out of his room until he is consistently using the litter box. He has used something else as a toilet and it is going to be difficult to break him of the habit. After he is allowed out you will need to keep a very close eye on him. Learn to recognize the signs.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitten_toilet_train.htm

Oh crap. This is going to be one of those times that I am going to spout off and "share" my unasked for feelings.
Unfortunately breeders are not necessarily the best cat people. Bottom line they are in it for the money they can make. Doesn't mean they know diddly squat about the animal they are breeding. I know there are some "good" breeders out there but they are few and far between. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; April 13th, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Was nasty. Bad me!
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Is Clancy declawed by any chance?
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Is Clancy declawed by any chance?
OMGosh! I hope not! This little guy is only a few months old BM.

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Catlover2

14K, sorry, but I can't let this comment go without putting in my .

As a longtime registered CCA/CFA breeder (now retired) I knew of extremely few that were "in it for the money they can make". There is very little profit, if any, by the time you've paid for vet exams, registration fees, shots, neutering/spaying, microchip and show expenses. If most breeders covered their vet expenses, they considered they were doing well. Majority of breeders I knew were in it for the love and improvement of the breed and the camaraderie at the cat shows. Most of the kittens produced would be pet quality, some breeder quality with very few show quality. Good breeders are diligent in breeding beautiful healthy cats with wonderful temperaments. Cats that don't have terrific temperaments don't get very far in the show ring. Now there are cat BYB=backyard breeders breeding so-called "purebreds" who are in it for the $$$. They care nothing about genetics, health issues, or what kind of home a person can give their kitten. They have no health/genetic guarantees, followups or take back kittens for whatever reason if things don't work out. The thing is that these BYBs charge almost as much for their cats as one would pay for a registered pet or a retired breeding/show cat.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
OMGosh! I hope not! This little guy is only a few months old BM.
I know but you never know... I get cats in that are declawed and not sterilized. I have had one as young as 4 months old..who knows when the cat was declawed.

Chances are coming from a breeder he is not, however I had to ask.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
14K, sorry, but I can't let this comment go without putting in my .

As a longtime registered CCA/CFA breeder (now retired) I knew of extremely few that were "in it for the money they can make". There is very little profit, if any, by the time you've paid for vet exams, registration fees, shots, neutering/spaying, microchip and show expenses. If most breeders covered their vet expenses, they considered they were doing well. Majority of breeders I knew were in it for the love and improvement of the breed and the camaraderie at the cat shows. Most of the kittens produced would be pet quality, some breeder quality with very few show quality. Good breeders are diligent in breeding beautiful healthy cats with wonderful temperaments. Cats that don't have terrific temperaments don't get very far in the show ring. Now there are cat BYB=backyard breeders breeding so-called "purebreds" who are in it for the $$$. They care nothing about genetics, health issues, or what kind of home a person can give their kitten. They have no health/genetic guarantees, followups or take back kittens for whatever reason if things don't work out. The thing is that these BYBs charge almost as much for their cats as one would pay for a registered pet or a retired breeding/show cat.
Exactly. You said long time registered breeder. That means you bred when breeders were mostly in it for the good of the breed. You know these days they are few and far between. You also know there are a lot more byb's with cats as well. Not saying the breeder Kay9 used is one. Just saying they are a lot more prevalent these day.
You yourself know that a lot of breeders do not go to the lengths to learn that you yourself have done and continue to do.
Money talks and it's usually to the detriment of knowledge and caring about lines, genetics or otherwise. Cats or dogs.

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I use Yesterday's News (the soft-textured version only), mixed with a bit of Feline Fresh Pine Pellet litter, and it works fabulously. My cat, like your Clancy, prefers pellets (I offered him a litter box buffet of different types many years ago and he always went in the box with the pellets). Whenever I hear someone say they have odor problems with their litter box, I suspect they aren't scooping it out often or thoroughly enough.

Where is the location of Clancy's box? Could it be that it's just too far away by the time he realizes he has to use it? (and since the duvet worked so well the first time, well heck, why not go there instead of treking ALL the way down to the laundry room or wherever - you know how "kids" think ). I would put another box or 2 in different parts of the house for the time being. You can eventually move them ever so gradually to somewhere that you'd prefer, but because Clancy is young and this is a new environment for him, the easiest you can make his bathroom access, the better.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Let me say this once, and only once: Just as there are bad dog breeders and good dog breeders, there are bad catteries and good catteries. I would also echo catlover2's comments. Those who run catteries DO NOT make money--quite the contrary; they are hobbyists who are in it for the love and betterment of the breed. You won't find people more in love with cats, or more knowledgeable about them.

And, oh yes, Clancy has NOT been de-clawed, hung upside down, tortured, or otherwise mistreated. Can we please get back to the subject?

Last edited by Kay9; April 13th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I use Yesterday's News (the soft-textured version only), mixed with a bit of Feline Fresh Pine Pellet litter, and it works fabulously. My cat, like your Clancy, prefers pellets (I offered him a litter box buffet of different types many years ago and he always went in the box with the pellets). Whenever I hear someone say they have odor problems with their litter box, I suspect they aren't scooping it out often or thoroughly enough.

Where is the location of Clancy's box? Could it be that it's just too far away by the time he realizes he has to use it? (and since the duvet worked so well the first time, well heck, why not go there instead of treking ALL the way down to the laundry room or wherever - you know how "kids" think ). I would put another box or 2 in different parts of the house for the time being. You can eventually move them ever so gradually to somewhere that you'd prefer, but because Clancy is young and this is a new environment for him, the easiest you can make his bathroom access, the better.
thanks for the suggestions, sugarcatmom. To answer your question about the location of Clancy's litterbox, it's in his bedroom, which is right across from mine. The funny thing is that he doesn't mess anywhere else in the house (thank god), just on my bed, and just in the morning. Seems that after his breakfast downstairs, he goes upstairs to my bedroom (and on my bed) to do his business, rather than to his bedroom (and in his litterbox). All the same in terms of distance (from my point of view, anyway ). I was thinking about putting a litter box in my bedroom, for the reasons you mentioned, but also to let him know that my room was part of his space too (it's the only room in the house that has no "Clancy" in it).
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;907918]You need to start from the beginning. He needs to be put in his room with his toys, litter box, scratching post, food and water. He can not come out of his room until he is consistently using the litter box. He has used something else as a toilet and it is going to be difficult to break him of the habit. After he is allowed out you will need to keep a very close eye on him. Learn to recognize the signs.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitten_toilet_train.htm

Right. And that something else is that wonderful poofy thing called Mommy's duvet! Seriously though, backing up and starting over is a bang-on suggestion.
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM

I agree to start over with the litterbox "refresher course" and since this only happens in the morning maybe when you do your last box scoop of the night before putting Clancy "to bed" leave a small amount, ie size of a nickel, of urine soiled litter in the box & cover it with a bit of litter. Don't leave enough in there for him to refuse to use it, but just enough that the slight smell reminds him this is where he's supposed to go.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Live well, laugh often

Desi hated the Worlds Best Cat Litter . It has been the only cat litter she refused to use. I think it is quite probable that your kitten doesn't like the choice of litter and agree with the others to stick with the one he likes and go back to basics.