Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

It is better to have something than nothing. I think empowering this person is better than discouraging something that has already happened. The OP really should be getting as much paperwork as possible to show what breed mix his dogs are before going out in public in my opinion.
Nobody is discouraging, I think its VERY important for anyone who "could" fall into this rediculous law to be absolutely fully aware of what "could" happen.
And yes the OP absolutely should be arming himself with as much information on these pups as possible in the even they are ever questioned. All it takes is one person to cry "Pitbull" so even if it meant walking around with a brief case of paperwork stating other wise so that it never ends up in court all bases should be covered.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Nobody is discouraging, I think its VERY important for anyone who "could" fall into this rediculous law to be absolutely fully aware of what "could" happen.
And yes the OP absolutely should be arming himself with as much information on these pups as possible in the even they are ever questioned. All it takes is one person to cry "Pitbull" so even if it meant walking around with a brief case of paperwork stating other wise so that it never ends up in court all bases should be covered.
. Thank you Erykah. I just wanted to state that it is very important that everyone is equipped in everyway possible to ensure the safety of their pets. There has been times when I get a call from rescue(s) or reps from shelters in Ontario for assistance to help remove quietly an animal because the owners were not aware of the risks involved when there was no paper trail to clearly indicate the breeds within. Even at that (and you and LP are correct) it is not fool proof. It really depends on those enforcing this law to deem whether or not the dog is of the restricted 'type'. Regardless, it is better to have everything in order and not only when or if the dog is ceased. This leads to suspicion and then there will be reason for AC to remove the said animal from their loving owners.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Formerly Bastien

Another pic of my little guy
Attached Images

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely stunning..
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Well he has the head tilt down. In other word how cute am I? Incredibly cute
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Apart from the possible resemblance to a banned breed another care you must take is with two puppies the same age. Rearing two at once is more than twice the work of one. This is because you should take care to work with them one on one and do much of their training separately. This is even more of a concern with the temperament you may expect to find in your chosen breeds, they need to be very thoroughly socialized and habituated and they will need much of these as individuals, not as a pair. As a pair the danger is they will bond more to each other than to you. For this reason many, many breeders will not allow puppies to go as pairs to a purchaser.

Dogos are not recognized in Canada so there is no Canadian standard. The FCI standard says this about colour:
Quote:
COLOR : Completely white; only one black or dark coloured patch around the eye may be admitted, provided that it does not cover more than 10% of the head. Between two dogs of equal conformation, the judge should always choose the whiter one
I also think the photo of "Dad" looks more like the Am. Bulldog. Benmax? Opinions?

Cutie-pie puppies. Oh so cute.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Apart from the possible resemblance to a banned breed another care you must take is with two puppies the same age. Rearing two at once is more than twice the work of one. This is because you should take care to work with them one on one and do much of their training separately. This is even more of a concern with the temperament you may expect to find in your chosen breeds, they need to be very thoroughly socialized and habituated and they will need much of these as individuals, not as a pair. As a pair the danger is they will bond more to each other than to you. For this reason many, many breeders will not allow puppies to go as pairs to a purchaser.

Dogos are not recognized in Canada so there is no Canadian standard. The FCI standard says this about colour:

I also think the photo of "Dad" looks more like the Am. Bulldog. Benmax? Opinions?

Cutie-pie puppies. Oh so cute.
Well Longblades, I did not want to say anything...but yes..the father in my opinion is an Amercian Bulldog. Having one at one time and also placing 3 dogos..I have become very familiar with the looks and traits. So yes, like you I see American Bulldog.

Also, as you stated, and something very important to point out is the fact that these dogs will require one on one training and need to bond with their human more than with each other. This breed or breed combo is highly sensitive and must have direction and LOTS of socialization with everything possible such as dogs of all sizes. When they get to maturity, having a dog like this that is unruly is a complete nightmare. Having 2 - well double the nightmare as they will feed off one another. This is definately a huge undertaking but with guideance, training and determination it is workable.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Formerly Bastien

I understand what you guys are saying, but Bully is mine and Brooklyn(littlegirl) is my friends, they just sleep and spend the morning together, when im done work i go and get him. They get individual attention and training. The reason hes staying at my friends, is because i am not allowed a dog where i live, but im moving out soon.

And for the dogo part, i understand what you guys are saying, maybe the breader is wrong about the Dad, or maybe he is a Dogo/AM Bulldog mix and the mom AM Bulldog.

And on another note: My cousin just baught Bully's other sister, so they will be able to play all together
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Regardless of whatever breed is within your pup, he is absolutely gorgeous. Just keep the dog well socialized and well trained. We in rescue see too many lovely dogs euthanized because owners do not take full responsibility in ensuring their dogs are well trained. Some people believe that dogs require little exercise and socialization..their dogs get minimum. As a result, they abandon their animals and many are unnecessarily euthanized. When you own a power breed one must understand and be responsible in ensuring that they have well adjusted pups and adults. This is the key to having harmony with your furbabes.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Formerly Bastien

I try and get my pup to socialize as much as i can, I bring him twice a week at my dads, where he has 2 mignature shnauwzers to play wit, about three times a week at my friends house, she has 2 Boxers and a cat, and at my uncles once in a while where he can play wit my little cousins

I want him to be good with other dogs, and expecialy wit humans (kids)

I weighted him last night and he is now 12pds at 8 Weeks old if i got the readings right lol
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Regardless of whatever breed is within your pup, he is absolutely gorgeous. Just keep the dog well socialized and well trained. We in rescue see too many lovely dogs euthanized because owners do not take full responsibility in ensuring their dogs are well trained. Some people believe that dogs require little exercise and socialization..their dogs get minimum. As a result, they abandon their animals and many are unnecessarily euthanized. When you own a power breed one must understand and be responsible in ensuring that they have well adjusted pups and adults. This is the key to having harmony with your furbabes.
Heed BenMax about socialization, my boy Clark was never properly socialized and I am very vigilant to keep him safe as well as others. It is an ongoing process. He is a sweetheart but you would never know it if you met him on the street. He is much better in a one on one situation when meeting new people, he gets very tense in crowds and will act aggressively. Much easier to start when they are young and you will have a great dog because well socialized they are great ambassadors for the breed.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastien View Post
Hi, i just bought a 6 Week old American Bulldog mixed with a Dogo Argentino and i was wondering if any of you guys would know arround how big he can get? And let me know what you think about this kind of dog
I just bought a 10 week old Dogo Argentio and I am having trouble finding forums for this seemingly rare breed. Anyone know of any good English language forum for these dogs? Awesome breed and really sound temperment. Now if my lab would learn a thing or two, I would be in heaven.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnesswild View Post
I just bought a 10 week old Dogo Argentio and I am having trouble finding forums for this seemingly rare breed. Anyone know of any good English language forum for these dogs? Awesome breed and really sound temperment. Now if my lab would learn a thing or two, I would be in heaven.
Not sure on other sites to look for, but congrats on your new adition! Hope to see some pictures soon
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks! I have looked all over and there just doesnt seem to be much out there. Here are a couple of pictures of Nia (or Noodles as she is nicknamed).

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Thanks! I have looked all over and there just doesnt seem to be much out there. Here are a couple of pictures of Nia (or Noodles as she is nicknamed).

Im sure shes really cute but i cant see the pic
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Formerly Bastien

Here is a couple more pics of Bully, and some with his sister Brooklyn
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Formerly Bastien

And more...
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,they are just precious
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Dogos are still very rare up here and I don't know that there are many board deducted to just the Dogo breed. There are a few mastiff boards and all pet boards but I haven't run across a lot of Dogo boards.

If there is a breed club for Canada or the US you might find a forum there.

@ Bastien - you have 2 wonderful breeds mixed in there. Have fun and like everyone said socialize the crap out of them. As soon as they are old enough I would have them entered in some puppy kindergarten, even if they already know everything that is likely to be taught there it is great for socializing and teaching good behaviour. My best advise is to think of anything that your dog might be exposed to or that you plan to expose them too in the future and do it now while they are young.

Good luck and look forward to more pics of the little darlings!
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They are just precious bundles

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM

@bnesswild
Don't know of any Dogo specific forums, but you can try the workingdogforum.com or any other protection sport oriented forum, you should be able to find some Dogo people on those.

Quote:
I know that dogo's are only white, but ive seen the odd one with a bit of black and was purebreed dogo with papers maybe the dad is not 100% pure tho.... but thats what the breader said. And on the papers to.

Im not saying your wrong lol Thanks
Perhaps a clarification on "papers" as they refer to a dog is needed. For most people "papers" refers to a registered pedigree with a recognizable kennel club. This would state the dog's breed and list the dog's family tree for the past 6 generations. Since the Dogo is not a breed recognized by the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club), you would not be able to have a CKC pedigree. Most likely you may have an FCI pedigree, perhaps UKC?

"papers" in this context does not refer to a receipt, contract, or any guarantee the "breeder" may have given you when you purchased the pup. If the dad is not 100% pure, he can't by definition have papers. He can also be 100% pure bred and yet not have papers, but never the other way around.

As others have stated, your dog will unfortunately be at risk of persecution due to the Ontario BSL (breed specific legislation). If the "papers" you have are not actual recognizable pedigree papers where the dog has been tattooed or microchipped to correspond to his pedigree papers, what ever other paper work you may have may be completely useless as far as animal control is considered. A vet bill stating your dog's breed is not a great document to rely on. Vet receptionists enter the wrong breed into their computers all the time. It is by no way a document that legally guarantees the dog's parentage. I also don't believe there is a DNA marker available for the Dogo breed, so DNA would not be an option in proving the breed. It's sad, and it's ridiculous, but I would be very careful as it only takes one stupid person to report your "pit bull" for no apparent reason, they don't even have to be telling the truth, and you dog can be legally seized and put down before you even have a chance to request a trial.
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quick update: My little boy is now 3 months and 23pd

I will be adding new pictures soon
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Well hurry up and post them lol
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Formerly Bastien

Alright, heres one... Im at work so i dont have much time.
Attached Images

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Soooo cute. Thanks for the puppy fix
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Formerly Bastien

Here is Bully with a 3 year old Dogo and a 6 Month old Dogo
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Bastien,I hope you are going to leave that little sweet-hearts ears natural and floppy
I believe the cropped ears,would only add to the danger of persecution,thinking he's a pittie
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Bastien,I hope you are going to leave that little sweet-hearts ears natural and floppy
(
I was thinking the same thing. I love those sweet ears of his

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM

I Dogos! That is a pretty dogo and your puppy is getting big! What a cutie!

Quote:
Here is Bully with a 3 year old Dogo and a 6 Month old Dogo

Danae de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 2 years
U2 de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 4 years
Black Shadow's Sequoia ~ 16 mths
Black Shadow's Rowan ~ 16 mths
VonBrenden's Golden Cyrus (Rottweiler) ~ 8 years
Raine (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 11 years
Hi-Jinx (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 5 years

http://www.blackshadowcanecorso.com/

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Formerly Bastien

Yes im keeping his ears the way they are Thanks I love Dogos to!