Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 27th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Introduction

Hello to all. I have never posted to the site before. I have been reading with interest, especially about the puppy mills. I thought buying from a pet store was OK. We had a tragic experience during Christmas with a pet store puppy. We purchased him as a birthday present on the 23rd. By yesterday he was dying (canine parvovirus). We had to have him euthanized. He died in our arms. I have heard since that *******'s has a bad reputation. How could we have been so ignorant of the facts. Apparently, these puppies are taken from their mothers too young. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by White Wolf; May 25th, 2006 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Slander- please read forum rules. No pet store names, please.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM

My Paulmacs sells Kittens and Cats for our SPCA but that is all.

However I was in Toronto yesterday at YorkDale Mall and they have this huge pet store. I just decided to wander in and they had about 50 + puppies. I currently have a purebred boxer and home and was wandering down past the puppies and noticed 2 boxers. They wanted 3600.00 for a boxer and they were SO skinny. I mentioned something to the girl who worked there and they were like "Oh well we get them in from Europe so they were stressed and probably didn't eat the whole two days on the plane"

I was so angry!! TWO DAYS on a plane wasn't going to get this puppy that skinny!!! I have never been so mad!!!

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM

kayla, i was there this week too. I shouldn't look, but anyway... the 2 boxers were very skinny... and also they didn't look well bred at all... fairly long noses, and their coloring seemed off too. The prices that store is asking is absolutely insane. So sad.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
kayla, i was there this week too. I shouldn't look, but anyway... the 2 boxers were very skinny... and also they didn't look well bred at all... fairly long noses, and their coloring seemed off too. The prices that store is asking is absolutely insane. So sad.

Yah I know. I wanted to cry!!! Europe MY BUM!!! They had WAY to many pets in there. But people are stupid enough to buy them. Thats all one sales girl had to say to me about it. *Shakes head*
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Schnoodle lover

****** Pet Store is a puppy mill

I live in barrie Ont There is a ***** pet store in our local mall I was looking in t here one day when i saw this little bully and he was all alone and skinny no water in his cage and all dirty .His price was 950 .00 and i did not really have the money but i offered the store 750 .00 to take him now just to get him outta there but they said no way.And i asked how long he was there and it was three weeks the store clerk told me that he was already discounted from 1600.00 what a shame i heard the owner of doogans shoots and barries his dogs that are too old on his farm.I would call for a province wide ban on all ****** pet stores as i will not even go into that store now.

[/QUOTE]There is another store here in the falls at Niagara Square called ******* and I am positive that they are dealing with Mills and/or BYB,.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by White Wolf; May 25th, 2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Slander- please read forum rules.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

If you see animals being mistreated or neglected in any petstore, PLEASE call your local humane society. They WILL go and check it out!
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM

shelters

I think it is kind of funny that people are all about going to shelters shelters shelters and forget going to breeders. don't get me wrong i strongly encourage people to go to animal shelters as well but no one should be criticized for wanting a specific breed. each breed has their own good qualities and bad which is why there is a need to do the research of the line. when going to a shelter there is no history. you have no idea what kind of parents these cats and dogs came from.

i definitely think that shelters should be highly thought of when choosing a pet but there is also nothing wrong with going to a breeder for a specific kind, especially if someone is looking for a breed that is going to do well with children. all factors should be considered and what is good for one person is not necessarily good for another.
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I think the point that everyone is making about going to shelters is to rescue dogs that are the result of BYB's or irresponsible owners. There is nothing wrong with going to a breeder, provided it's a reputable breeder and not a BYB. There is a lot of research involved in finding a reputable breeder including the history of genetic testing, etc. Most people think it's cute to buy a dog from a petstore because it's "pure bred", but don't realize the health and behavior problems that BYB dogs are prone to have. They also think it's cute to buy a dog from someone who advertises in a newspaper or an online swap site. These are the reasons that most people are advocates for rescuing dogs from shelters and truly try to educate those who don't realize the cruelty out there. Again there is nothing wrong with a breeder, but a reputable breeder is fully educated on how to better a breed and isn't there to make a quick dollar.
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Yeah, pet stores are not the way to get a pure breed puppy (or any other puppy for that matter). Most of the "pure breeds" in pet stores LOOK like they're pure but actually aren't. And if by chance they are pure, you can bet that their breeding is so bad that you'd be wishing you had gotten a cheaper rescue mutt anyway.
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:07 AM

we got my dog from a pet store only after we tried to rescue a dog from a kennel. We unfortunately lost our first puupy to the parvo virus. We had no clue about puppy mills or anything I feel terrible about this now that I know about this. I thought that because the pet store was a very reputible place that everything was ok!! Any way we still love our dog I just feel that it is very unfortunate that these puppy mills profited off of the sale of our family pet!
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM

There is one thing about breeders who sell in the paper. First they need to build a reputation and a newspaper is the best way your able to screen out people who don't know a lot about the breed. It took my mom ten years to build a reputation and she gets calls about papillons all the time even though she doesn't breed anymore. Also when i bought charlie, i got him through an add in the paper the breeder made us do research before we brought him home by quizzing us about possible health risks and proper ear care it was weird being quizzed but it made me feel comfortable about buying him from a BYB who is now a kennel affliliated with the AKC. The breeder also does an in home visit and has visited my home three times since i bought him to make sure that he has a good home. Also she would get him i ever get rid of him and she would pay for him. ( 20% of the cost of the dog is depleted each year) She just did an in home visit about two months ago. Some breeders with reputation had to start out somehow...
Lady the cocker spaniel mix ??? 3-5 years old

Cats
Felicity the grey medium haired cat 3 yrs
Hope the calico 4 years
Marco the tabby cat 9 years
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM

No way! You don't start by having a litter of unwanted puppies. Good breeders, regardless of reputation, won't breed unless the puppies are already sold. And the ads in the paper are always for puppies who are already born.

Seems to me you build a reputation in the show ring and competition and not through cheap, sleazy ads.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Performance Spaniels

No good breeder starts as a byb. That logic is so sickly flawed...

You do build your rep in the ring, in sports, getting to know people who have reps in your breed. Make friends, network. When that first litter of pups finally comes, people off a mentors wait list may be interested.

Last place a good breeder would advertise is a newspaper, yuck.
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM

what are puppy mills? all the pet stores in my area have dogs and cats for adoption on certain days of the week, but they are all animals from local rescue shelters. the animals cost anywhere from $65 to $85 to adopt. i always thought it was pretty convienient; you can pick up a pet and in the same store buy everything he/she needs.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNKy View Post
what are puppy mills?

One of the most horrific place you can find a loved pet:sad: You can google "puppymill" and just look at the pictures....they speak louder than words
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Go here to learn about puppymills: http://www.stoppuppymills.org/
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
D.

Location: I am living in the countryside only 6 miles from Brussels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNKy View Post
what are puppy mills? all the pet stores in my area have dogs and cats for adoption on certain days of the week, but they are all animals from local rescue shelters. the animals cost anywhere from $65 to $85 to adopt. i always thought it was pretty convienient; you can pick up a pet and in the same store buy everything he/she needs.
I am new here and from the other side of the world.
But over here we have shops and so called animal loving stores also. One good rule to follow is.. if they charge you, it is a scam. They are even breeding for profit. The real shelters here (if they can afford) will even pay you for a year of medical services if you adopt one of their animals.

Whe i got one of my dogs, they first came to check me out. Then i had to agree to bring him in every 3 months for a check up. He had a better medical plan then i ever had.

D
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

i bought my kitty from Petland but he was part of the pets for life adoption program and i had to sign loads of forms and stuff to promise to return him to pets for life if i couldnt take care of him anymore and not take him to a place that would put him down.
i agree that these pet mills should be closed and not supported but i think that when they have rescue cats they have a better chance of adoption cause there is a higher flow of traffic.
please dont think i am supporting pet stores who buy from these mills but those that have rescue pet sections, i think are certainly doing a good thing
I went in every second day for three weeks to visit my kitty before i convinced my boyfriend that i needed him. hehe. he caved when he met him and i have a wonderful lively, very vocal and social boy that i would never have met were it not for the chance encounter at the local petland.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I saw some of those in Ontario- pet stores who have rescue animals in them. That's a good thing, IMO, if they're still screening like a rescue would.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Good grief, no reputable breeder advertises in the newspaper!!!! Most good breeders have their litters spoken for long before they are born - if they are purebred dogs and cats and have their proper pedigree, championships and are of show quality and meet the breed standard.(Hopefully, they more than meet the standard!) Anyone seeking to buy from a breeder, though there are also lots of cats and dogs in rescue that need homes too, many of them purebred, (Up to 25% of animals in rescue are purebred), seeks out breeders by contacting the main registries (and I do not mean the ones given out at pet shops), visits shows or does his or her research prior to adoption. This is a lifelong commitment and that does not happen thru the classified section unless one considers the 5 or 10% who find a significant other thru the personals, <g>

To me, adopting a cat or a dog or any animal is the same as adopting a child because they become part of our families. In fact, people are warned NOT to use the newspaper as resource in adopting an animal. It is one of the key signs that one is likely dealing with a byb. As the 2nd poster noted (I am sorry - I forgot to look at the name, forgive me! ), good breeders - many of whom do this as a hobby - spend thousands of dollars a year for just one dog or cat!! They have the vet on speed dial and have researched the breed probably better than the vet and certainly know their own animals' pedigree, championships, characteristics and can ID a pet quality versus a show quality in that breed. They are NOT in it for the money - or some frivolous and silly notion that they want their family to "experience or see" babies being born. There are many videos for that or one can always visit a rescue or SPCA any day of the week. (or a puppy mill if they really want to see where newspaper advertised and pet store puppies and allegedly purebred cats come from). Ask any personnel pet store to show you the proper certification, the pedigree - how many championships and rosettes the animal's parents and even grandparents won on the show circuit, demand the health info for several generations - (all documented by vets with a good reputations) - and that is just a few questions I can think at this early hour. You will not get those replies because they are not available.

No breeder who has invested not just their money but their love and caring over a long period of time would EVER in their wildest imagination hand over one of their precious babies to a pe store. They are simply not that foolish nor do they lack knowledge. They will investigate every single person who wants to adopt one of "their" babies - and most of them keep up to date with the adopters for long periods of time. (and have ironclad contracts that are just as rigid as most social service agencies are!!) (There are some exceptions but these are the minority - usually ppl who have entered the breeding biz without a mentor or knowledge and thought they might actually earn money at this.)

Buying from a pet store supports the depravity and cruelty one sees in puppy mills. That money goes to people who have no interest in the well being of their animals and worse! (There are enough videos and info web sites to explain this. )

Anyway - that's it - I cannot even comprehend how this issue was brought up after reading Lucy Rescue's excellent article!
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Don't Try To Explain...

I started to work at a Petstore Company (who shall remain nameless) who sells puppies. In terms of keeping their puppies healthy - they did an excellent job. They had a vet on hand, keep all puppies up to date on vaccinations/worming/ect and would take older individuals outside to learn to walk on the leash and basic obedience skills. You could argue that yes - this was a responsible pet store. You walk in, the cages are always maintained, the puppies always look healthy (sure, some sulk, as would any puppy stuck in a small cage 24/7) and the store itself has no odor.

Than you realize WHERE the puppies came from. I quit after I learned their motto was "Sell, Sell, Sell" and that yes, there puppies came in bulk from brokers and dealers. More than one puppy had a "Hunte Corporation" listed as their breed on their AKC registration papers. No matter how healthy the puppies look, you cannot change where they came from.
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of ther universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." - Caras
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Petshop pups

I am a strong believer in not buying from a pet shop. I currently have 3 australian shepherds (all rescues) and just all around great dogs, they have their own little quirks....but...my husband and I went to the shop and low and behold they had the cutest little aussie pup, we looked and I wanted to leave, he wanted to see her...well we saw her, played with her and so on...I forced him to leave (it was getting to much for me) well for 3 days and nights her kept shoving money at me to go and get her...I kept refusing, we argued a little ......I can proudly say.....I am owned by another australian shepherd!
I was however quite impressed with this pet shop. I have a 2yr warranty on eyes, hips and other breed defects (not like I would trade her for the world) but I basically got the same written guarantee that I would have if I had purchased her from a breeder. I'm sure she came from a byb but hey she was only 8 weeks old when we came around so hopefully she won't have any memories of this. I still give the hubby crap for buying her but only because she came from a petshop. So....here is Indy I called her that as I am sure she could run the 500!
We have just begun training with her. Indy is a wonderful addition to our home.
Attached Images

Old March 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM

BYB- Reputable Breeders-CKC-Internet

I need to put my 2 cents in here. I used to have goldens and I did the show ring, championship / Obedience titled my dogs etc...CKC, you name it I did it. But I believe alot of you put way to much faith in the so called "reputable breeders" I know some of these "reputable breeders" they have cut the nerve in a dogs tail so that the tail would lay properly, they have hidden "hot spots" missing teeth that the judges haven't noticed. These dogs have allergies some really severe...but they are labeled good breeders because they are in the CKC book and they do the circuit. Well what makes them different from someone advertising in the newspaper? Breeders advertise on the internet....My feeling for BYB is someone who has a litter be it puppies or kittens and fails to imunize them, feed them and make sure they get a good home. There are plenty of "GOOD" Breeders out there that do it for the love of the breed and they don't want the politics that go with the show ring.
I know a few "good" breeders that have had "OOPS" litters. Bottom line if you knew that your breeder that you thought was a reputable one sold you a pup from an "oops" litter would it make a difference? BYB are not all puppy millers. This is my oppinion.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM

That's why it's not just about showing but about health checking (DNA testing, eye testing, hip testing, etc etc).

A health guarantee till two years of age is nothing, especially since most of the time they'll either refund you (in exchange for the dog) or give you another puppy (in exchange for the dog), and especially since a lot of the genetic issues occur later on, and not before 2 years of age.

Good luck with your puppy.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
No way! You don't start by having a litter of unwanted puppies. Good breeders, regardless of reputation, won't breed unless the puppies are already sold. And the ads in the paper are always for puppies who are already born.

Seems to me you build a reputation in the show ring and competition and not through cheap, sleazy ads.
SO COMPLETELY 110% TRUE.

My dog was born in December 2005. I paid for him in the summer of '04. All her puppies are pre-paid for as her waiting list is very long, or you take a chance on someone changing their minds (doesn't happen). She decides which two she wants to breed ahead of time, and you put your name down with a sex of choice (as well as "family pet -neutered" or "show dog-unneutered"), and give her a deposit. I told her I wanted a family pet, but since she pays for all the show dog stuff (ring fees, health tests, breeding costs if any, etc), that I would concider keeping him unneutered if he grew up to be of good health and show quality. I told her I wanted a big male. Big feet, big block head, blonde, etc. She looked at me like I was absolutely out of my mind. I never got to chose which puppy was mine, and he is the complete opposite of what I wanted (he's small, darker, cute as hell but no block head, etc). BUT based on his personality, I'm not convinced I would have been happier with any other dog. I just love him to pieces, and he really is the perfect dog for me.

She does a FULL run of tests on mom and pop, as well as looks into the family history to make sure there's no signs of dysplasia or other major health problems. When the puppies are 6 weeks, a specialist comes to the house and does an analasys on them to test their personality, as well as give us a best guess which might grow up to be #1 pick for show ring quality (this is the dog she usually hangs on to for breeding purposes). We're all one big happy family (show dog people are weird), so I see my boys siblings (and aunts & uncles, cousins, half siblings, etc) on a regular basis. Some of which he's made very close buddies with.

She's never advertised in the paper because she's never had to. If you want to be a good breeder, and you put the effort in into establishing yourself as one even before your first litter, people come to you and the need to advertise is non-existant.

I feel completely lucky to have found mine. WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA! (she's not really my grandma, for the record... that's just what we call her cause that's what she is to the puppies. lol)
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm afraid we'll still be having this conversation years from now. Until they ban the selling of live animals from pet stores, there will always be people there to buy them. I know people at work, the first words that came out of their mouths, I know I shouldn't have bought the puppy or the kitten from a pet store, but.....
A lot of people know better, and it doesn't matter.

Cindy
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
A lot of people know better, and it doesn't matter.
Isn't that the saddest? :sad: :sad:
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Why only adopt from no-kill shelters?

The ones in the kill shelters need saving the most!

I got the best dog in my life to date from a kill shelter. She would have gotten the needle because she 'looks vicious'. The only reason she's alive is a rescue person put her in the section where they give them more time.

They pick animals that are highly adoptable, but aren't catching anyone's eye for some reason to give more time to (6 weeks, I think, in my dog's case)

The dog is anything but vicious, but she does look and sound it, which is good for my safety

I am VERY GLAD I saved one from euthanasia!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM

I have read this thread and i totally understand where everyone is coming from about not getting dogs that are not from puppy mills and to get ones from the shelter or rescue.. I tried to get one from the rescue in my local town, but was denied because one of my 3 cats is not fixed. she is a female who i have had for 8yrs with no problems, she has never had a litter, never and I mean never goes outside, she is actually scared outside. I know i should of got her fixed when she was younger, but i never got around to it. so now because I am not able to get one from a rescue, which I would love to do, I will have to either see if my family and friends knows anyone that has puppies or go through the paper. SO I am wondering am I bad person because I am doing this. And before you ask, no I am not getting my cat fixed. I don't feel that I should have to. and yes if i did get a dog I would get it fixed as they are outside and I woudn't want to have any puppies.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake1 View Post
I know i should of got her fixed when she was younger, but i never got around to it. so now because I am not able to get one from a rescue, which I would love to do, I will have to either see if my family and friends knows anyone that has puppies or go through the paper. SO I am wondering am I bad person because I am doing this. And before you ask, no I am not getting my cat fixed. I don't feel that I should have to. and yes if i did get a dog I would get it fixed as they are outside and I woudn't want to have any puppies.
8 years old is not an old cat and not too old to get spayed and I don't understand why you wouldn't get a female cat spayed anyway. Saves them from going into heat which will make her a whole lot happier.
Small price to pay to get her fixed so you can get a puppy from a shelter instead of purpetuating the problem by getting one from a mill or a byb.
IMO knowing that getting a puppy from questionable sources is wrong and doing it anyway simply because you don't want to get your female cat spayed is pretty lame.

Cindy