Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

First off designer dogs are just mutts that stupid people pay way too much money for when they could easily go to a rescue or shelter and save a life and pay way less for a designer dog. Also something that I think is important is that reputable breeders are involved in rescue of the breed as well. I did buy a pet quality pup from a breeder and they were upfront about registration and I did sign an agreement to spay her before 6 months. I have found this to be common practice among breeders. And if I was ever to get rid of the dog it was to be returned to them even my pet quality pup. Who was perfect to me. But no more breeders for me only rescue babies
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM

So " I Have to Many " states when they got their dog they did not intend to breed her. I"m guessing it was a pure breed dog from a breeder,, where was the contract she had to sign when she got her dog? Why was her dog not spayed before 6 months. She makes sure people sign a contract for her puppies. I don't get it.. How does a breeder get started when the breeders insist that they are the only ones producing this breed. I disagree with puppy mills, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me of all these,, purest idea's that they breed only to make the breed better. Good money to be made at it. Helps cover the cost of their hobby ,, ( showing or helping to pay the coverage of the cost of their pets.) Heck, I have a mutt,, she's wonderful,, and I"m not paying 500 for a papers for a dog that I've promised not to breed( although I do that anyways).. So why am I paying so much for a pet I want to have,, JUST for a family pet? They really worried about how much love it's getting or protecting their business?
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM

BYB... another option

I must be honest. I am looking for a Boston Terrier. My boyfriend has never owned a dog, so he is reluctant to get a rescue. I agree that puppy mills are the worst. I won;t even buy from a pet store, just in case.

But a CKC breeder can;t be the only solution either. In Quebec, there is only 1 CKC registered breeder here tat won;t have any litters available for about a year!

I don't want a show dog. I don't want to sign a contract. I don't want to pay 1500$ for a dog either. I understand the issues with byb, but for many people that would be the only solution.

That said, it would be nice if there was a network of backyard breeders who had good dogs raised in a beneficial social environment. I would rather go find a dog on a site like that. Alas, that isn't really an option.

Last edited by prodgirl; July 24th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
-

And what's wrong with a rescue dog ?????
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Some rescue dogs can be more difficult, especially if they come from a place that treated them badly and abused them.

Some rescue dogs are the sweetest creatures you could ever hope to meet. Some are not. I suppose you can say that about breeder's dogs too, but the ratio for difficult dogs is higher in a rescue.

If I get a dog from a great home that socialized them and bred 2 good dogs, they will probably be less of a risk for a dog that needs more knowledge from his/her new owner.

With someone new to dogs, a dog that needs more attention and patience is maybe not the way to go. I don't know how to deal with a dog that has more anxiety, or a health issue. But I will learn a lot from having this dog and my next dog will probably be from a rescue shelter as I will be more able to handle its unique needs.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Doggie Wench

There are such Rescues where dogs are placed in foster homes, rather than in a shelter environment, where they can be assessed and trained appropriately. A dog coming from this sort of environment may be better suited to your needs. I have to add, many are pure breed puppies. I've had two in just the past several months.

You might want to call several Rescues in your area to familiarize yourself with the work they do. You may be awfully surprised with what you find. If you're in Quebec, many of us here can recommend some awesome Rescues.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Indeed, many are excellent. I have a friend who is in the process right now. It just so happens we have found a sweet puppy right here in Montreal. she was raised at home with the family and their 2 kids. I am going to go and meet her tonight.

Some of my favorite dogs have been rescue, and I look forward to going to the shelters to get one as our next dog (hopefully as a companion to this dog) as soon as we are ready.

Some of my least favorite dogs have been pure bred. I do understand that it does not mean a perfect dog. But I think we may have found the dog for us.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:26 AM

great info.. this is the kind of stuff I was looking for...
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescues are the best dogs. Yes they may have some issues but they are worth every bit of effort. They truly appreciate the good things in life, and will thank you daily for saving them.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I know this is an OLD thread, but I did want to throw something in the ring.
lperms - I list my litters on Kijiji.ca and have met the most wonderful people on that site. I too have had waiting lists, up to 2 years because I breed every two years - this thing about "only have up to 2 litters a year, or they are in it for the money" well, guess what breeders are selling their pups for a reason - not giving them away! Most REPUTABLE BREEDERS are absolutely a business enterprise and don't let anyone tell you anything different!! There is a lot of money in the dog show world, just like the horse world and Cattle world, and anyone who is reproducing is doing it to get paid - not to spread the joy for free.
People who look down their noses at where people advertise their litters for heaven's sake really need to move on in life. Yes, in a perfect world there would be long long lists of prequalified people who are suspended in animation until your dog has her pups and the dog has everything that everyone on the list wanted (ie. sex and colour), but sometimes life does happen out there, and sometimes the dogs don't have the pup that they wanted and sometimes people put their names and small deposits on more than one list. That happens alot!! So, you do need to fill in the blanks, and local papers or an online ad is not a great big huge sin against animals. Like I said, I have gotten the best people off my listings and I wouldn't trade one of them!!! You have to be careful screening anyone who responds, no matter where you found them. Breeders have to be just as careful of the new families as the family has to be of the breeder, and natural instinct does tell a breeder if they are who they say they are, and you have to put the pups with the right family for his or her personality. And sometimes that means saying no to a lot of inquiries and keeping the pup until the perfect person comes along. That's a reputable breeder trait too.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM
1st the wolf than the dog

Do you know what's the diference between a breeder and a "creator" dogs?

When talking with a breeder about their puppies, there are some signs that can alert you. ESCAPE TO A SEVEN FEET:

The "creator" has no knowledge about the race that creates;
If you ignore or deny the existence of genetic diseases in this race, "No, my dogs have hip dysplasia!" ;
If not let you visit the kennels and see the puppies and adults;
If animals have not LOP (but are pure !!");
If dogs are not socialized;
The "breeder" is willing to let out the dog under 8 weeks;
The "creator" creates several races;
The "creator" is not interested in knowing your lifestyle or what conditions the animal has to offer, do not you put questions;

AN ETHICAL BREEDER:

Do not put dogs in stores or on Web sites advertising all races (and some of whom nobody ever heard of);
"Choose" the buyer of his dogs and the dog will not sell if you believe that the dog will not be in good hands. Soon demand meet and ask questions to the buyer;
Do not allow your dogs going to new homes with less than 8 weeks old;
The puppies come with first vaccination, dewormed and possibly already chipped;
Creates one or two races just for the love of it and improve it and get good copies. There is another reason to make creation of purebred dogs.
Makes tests to their breeding lines of trying to eliminate genetic diseases common in the breed cause;
It makes a lot of litters, as opposed plans to make few and each of them;
Attempts to educate potential owners for the good and bad of the breed they have;
Is available to advise and guide the new owner;
It is available to re-accommodate any dog ​​of their offspring if the owners were not able to keep;
Plays only examples of good temper;
Does not depend on keeping dogs for a living, have other sources of income.

While the terrible creator (forgive me, I haven't take atention when I was translating)

Creates with a purpose: to sell;
It does not seek to choose the houses where the dogs go, the first to pay is served;
It has multiple broods;
Plays both young and old dogs too, not selected, it crosses what is usually bad copies of both temperament and conformation to the breed standard;
Do not do any testing with genetic diseases;
Sell ​​animals without LOP, so without any guarantee of lineage.
OuvirLer foneticamente

Last edited by pick; April 7th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM

Great list and discussion, to which I would just like to add a couple of things.

When it boils right down to it for me, as to what separates a reputable breeder vs. everyone else (whether mill, BYB, or registered breeder who passes on pedigree papers but "on paper" only) is responsibility; responsibility not only when it comes to the betterment of the breed and all that that means, but also responsibility when it comes to each and all of the pups and kitties ("charges") that they breed, I agree, and to which I'll add that the Club to which they belong is itself responsible, meaning: the Club itself has and/or is connected to a separate rescue "wing", an independent non-profit, being dedicated to finding and placing animal members of the particular breed for which it speaks, and educating the public when it comes to the good, the bad and everything in between as it pertains to that particular breed as well.

Such eductation would include (and always) the general need to spay/neuter and thus further hammering home the (contractual) need for same, and which responsible breeders and responsible buyers agree upon in their contract in first place (and actually follow through on same). In turn, coming full circle so as to provide a true network of support for all concerned, including: individual breeders themselves so as to have among other things assistance in the event one (or more) of their charges are returned for whatever reason by the owner(s) due to a change in circumstances such as illness or death of the owner, divorce or whatever the case during the life of the animal, as well as support in terms of ongoing education and so forth when it comes to training and other advice (including resources and referrals) as may be helpful to buyers and interested members of the public as well; this, so as to maybe actually help owners keep and enjoy the companionship of their pet for-life, instead of relinquishng same (where circumstances warrant, sometimes pets are far, far better off being relinquished and placed in a new home, if you catch my meaning, but hardly is this true in all cases, or at all).

As to getting a young pup or kitten spayed or neutered, this is controversial, and it is best the animal not be spayed/neutered when it is too young and still growing, arguably needing its hormones, etc. in tact for proper growth and development. Yes, shelters and some rescues insist upon early spay/neuter to "guarantee" that it's done, saying that the benefit (reducing pet over-population) outweights the risk (health and growth of the animal, etc.), but not something I personally support or believe in (unless and until there is conclusive evidence that early spay/neuter results in no harm, as in none, which simply is not yet the case, and why it's controversial). Rather, responsible breeders and rescues will (or should) insist upon a deposit, which varies but typically around $200, which is refunded to the buyer/adopter on proof by means of a vet certification of spay/neuter when the animal has come of age (around 6 months of age, give or take depending on the breed and its actual development needs), it also being a good idea for breeders/rescues to send out to the buyer/adopter "helpful reminders" and further follow-up on as well.

Finally, as to rescued animals, the vast majority of which have been relinquished (dumped) by no fault of their own, and are great pets. The chief reason why so many great adoptable pets wind up in rescue is because a buyer (some human) didn't bother to do any research on the breed in which they were interested prior to purchasing same, and the concept of picking up a phone and hiring a trainer or other such assistance is foreign to them and/or, and quite simply, didn't bother to spay/neuter! Luckily, there are reputable rescues (as well as reputable clubs connected with a rescue arm if you will, thus responsible breeders in turn), as well as responsible members of the public. Many people actually are quite happy to avoid the "crazy" puppy/kitten phase altogether, and also find rescue/adoption of a perfectly adoptable pet animal from a responsible shelter or rescue to be incredibly rewarding all-around as well (and please note: responsible shelters and rescues only place adoptable pets, and only then in deserving homes .

Then, if everyone in the whole and entire chain was responsible, I will actually risk going out on a limb here to say we wouldn't have a pet over-population problem in turn, and in such a world pedigree papers would mean all that they should and then some. What a great world would that be, I agree, and a great list to help us all get there all-around as well!

Cheers

Last edited by HappyJacks; January 17th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old April 15th, 2021, 10:07 PM

Also, a good breeder has to start sometime. There's no immaculate conception there, they start out small and have to advertise to just get their name out there. Advertising is not a sin and many breeders do have wait lists and still advertise.