Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Looking to own a Min Pin

I am looking at owning my first doggie - a min pin. I know they are very energetic etc... (so am I LOL) I've done quite a bit of reading about this breed although I still have some concerns and questions.

I live in an apartment building on the top floor -
#1 - I'm a little worried about my neighbours and barking. Are min pins prone to do a lot of barking? I've read on some sites that they bark quite a bit - is this true? Or do they only bark when they hear sounds? (mailman, elevator etc..)

#2 - I cant say I would not be nervous about being so high up as I have a balcony I've read that min pins are prone to jump up and that they are really quick and sneaky. Of course I would be very careful although I'd still be nervous about the height and every time I open the balcony door.

I have done some research but I'm having a tough time. I came across what seems like a very reputable breeder in Ontario that has a litter available next spring but they already have a full waiting list~sigh~.

There is one other which seems reputable- well from their website but I still would prefer the first one as they offered to take back the pooch should there be any health risks or if I would not be able to care for the dog whereas the other breeder does not state this anywhere on their website or in the email I received.

Any advise or comments from someone who has a min pin would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make 100% sure that this is the type of dog for me. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM

MinPin

My two mini-pins are the love of my life (my husband's too). Val and Ceasar do not tend to bark a lot unless provoked (ie "outsiders" and "strangers") however, they sit on the top of the couch, and watch out the front door at times to "keep tabs on the neighborhood"; in essence, they are our "protectors". Neither dog has ever tried to jump from the window of the car, but Ceasar DOES tend to get awful close to the window while we're driving; I keep his leash intact when he's that close...dread the thought if we took a corner too quickly, and he fell out. They all have different personalities (just like anything else)...Ceasar will sit next to me, but not on me, but Valentine would love to lay on one of us at all times. They both tend to "dig" into the sheets/blankets/towels, and Ceasar actually put a whole into an old couch (but there had been previous dogs on it previous to our ownership), so that could be something to pay attn to. I can't give you any suggestions on breeders; we rec'd Valentine from a friend, and then had her bred, which gave us Ceasar (and his brother who went to a friend). Good luck. They are amazing babies.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Well as someone who has done MinPin rescue for 10+ years I don't recommend them as a first time dog unless you are willing to do a lot of learning and training. They are SMART dogs who aren't really easy. They may be little but they are a big dog in a small package.

Yes they can be noisy, hard to house train, snotty and they are the worst dogs to spoil!!! SO that being said if you are willing to work with your dog, treat it like a dog and not a cute little toy you will be fine! They need LOTS of exercise, mental stimulation and attention or they will manage to get into lots of trouble.

Make sure you do find an excellent breeder as temperament is very important and you want support from the breeder as well if things don't work you want to be able to return the dog at any time.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer them!!! I had big dogs including a working GSD then I got my first MinPin and my real education into naughty dogs! LOL
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Well as someone who has done MinPin rescue for 10+ years I don't recommend them as a first time dog unless you are willing to do a lot of learning and training. They are SMART dogs who aren't really easy. They may be little but they are a big dog in a small package.

Yes they can be noisy, hard to house train, snotty and they are the worst dogs to spoil!!! SO that being said if you are willing to work with your dog, treat it like a dog and not a cute little toy you will be fine! They need LOTS of exercise, mental stimulation and attention or they will manage to get into lots of trouble.

Make sure you do find an excellent breeder as temperament is very important and you want support from the breeder as well if things don't work you want to be able to return the dog at any time.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer them!!! I had big dogs including a working GSD then I got my first MinPin and my real education into naughty dogs! LOL
I aggree with EVERYTHING in this post regarding Miniature Pinschers, and you are wise to take these things to heart. I would NOT recommend a Minpin for an apartment, PERIOD...especially due to the barking. These are very high maintenance dogs, and are probably the most vocal I have ever owned (I have two). They can be little tyrants, snap and be difficult to control. They MUST be leashed always out doors, not a dog for a dog park. They require much more excercise than other toy breeds....VERY high energy. If you live somewhere where neighbours are not an issue, no small children, are experienced with dog handling, and enjoy several long walks a day....these may be the dog for you.

There is a reason that there are many Minpin rescues out there. People just haven't done their homework regarding the breed. They are wonderful animals, but just like any dog...definately not for everyone.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:36 PM

Min Pins

Thank you for all the great replies. I am going to rethink my decision about getting a min pin as I agree it would be hard to have one in an apartment. I love these dogs - whenever I see pictures of them it always put a big smile on my face and my eyes get all teary because they are just so darn adorable. I've read so many stories on people who own them and how much they love their min pins - high energy and all. Guess I'll have to search for another breed of dog.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM

The other idea is to adopt an older MinPin that is used to life in an apartment or able to live in one, which is more than possible. There are older ones that may suit such a life. Between the ages of 3-5 they are much more settled which may be more suitable for you if you are not dead set on a puppy. That's the route I took when I got my first MinPin and was living in an apartment! Not all dogs in rescue are naughty!!! Many are lovely, I just adopted out a wonderful MinPin to a gal in an apartment so it can be done. Just a note: MinPins can live well into their 20's so they are a long living breed!!! My first MinPin that I adopted at 7 is still here and now 17!!! Here's Chopper swimming a few weeks ago at the beach!!

Old July 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
NOT a senior member

I really hate to burst your bubble regarding this breed, because they truly are wonderful, and I wouldn't trade my two for anything. What would be worst though, would be falling in love with a dog which did not suite your lifestyle and having to part with it. I commend you on doing your research and taking the responses to your post seriously. Unfortunately, there are many people who acquire dogs because of the way they look, instead of doing what you have done and asked questions.

I can honestly say that after having dogs for as long as I have....these two little monkeys I have now, have been by far the most challenging. And I've had alot of dogs . It's embarrassing sometimes how badly behaved they can be, but on another note...they are the most loving.

I really feel bad to dissuade you from the dog you are drawn to...but in all honestly I feel an easier breed more suitable for you in your position. There are alot of wonderful dogs out there that will be just perfect for you. AND we all want to see pictures!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
The other idea is to adopt an older MinPin that is used to life in an apartment or able to live in one, which is more than possible. There are older ones that may suit such a life. Between the ages of 3-5 they are much more settled which may be more suitable for you if you are not dead set on a puppy. That's the route I took when I got my first MinPin and was living in an apartment! Not all dogs in rescue are naughty!!! Many are lovely, I just adopted out a wonderful MinPin to a gal in an apartment so it can be done. Just a note: MinPins can live well into their 20's so they are a long living breed!!! My first MinPin that I adopted at 7 is still here and now 17!!! Here's Chopper swimming a few weeks ago at the beach!!

I just read this post...and this is a wonderful idea! There are definately older more sane Pins out there from rescues etc, probably more suitable for your apartment. My two are very young and crazy, so I am giving my opinions on my own experience. This is a good option if you aren't dead set on a puppy. Good thinking!

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM

LOL I personally wouldn't want a Minpin under 3! I don't have the patience!!! I had a young pup in rescue a while ago and OMG I couldn't wait for him to get adopted!!!! I love the older calmer Pins..... I don't know how people stand them for the first 3 years!!! HA HA HA

Old August 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
LOL I personally wouldn't want a Minpin under 3! I don't have the patience!!! I had a young pup in rescue a while ago and OMG I couldn't wait for him to get adopted!!!! I love the older calmer Pins..... I don't know how people stand them for the first 3 years!!! HA HA HA

Mine are 5 months and 2 years old. That explains alot about my household!

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM

Min Pins

I love this forum!!! I can't thank you enough for all your advise. When I was researching different breeds (I looked at many) I wanted a min pin because of it's size (not too big), seemed like a spunky dog (lots of energy), they are adorable, have a good life span, and from what I read (depending on the breeder) they seemed to be quite healthy dogs. One of the breeders I was looking into buying a min pin from has a website that includs personal messages and photos of people who now own one of their min pins. My heart just melted when I read about how much they love their doggies and the special bond they have - not to mention the pictures awwwww too cute I tell ya. I was invited to go down this weekend to see a new litter and if interested in a pup, to put down my deposit, but I wanted to be 110% sure this is the type of dog for me, so I decided to first try to find a pet forum and see what others had to say. All I can say is I'm so glad I did as I learned so much. I have nothing against owning an older dog but I really have my heart set on a puppy. I'm in no rush, I'll continue looking until I find one for me. Take care everyone.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking to own

Have a friend who runs min.pin rescue at www.minpinrescue.org, might be worth your while looking at her dogs, she knows the breed inside/out. Good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure_Me View Post
I really have my heart set on a puppy. I'm in no rush, I'll continue looking until I find one for me. Take care everyone.
Just remember regardless of breed, that you need a lot of time for a puppy so be sure you have the time and can be home for the pup so you can train him/her etc....
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM

My hope is renewed that my daughter's now 2-yr old min pin will not forever drive me insane! Thanks for the wisdom. I think we can make it. Even if he doesn't calm down, he's just so darn loveable that we will continue to put up with him.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM

I love min, but I won't get another

Hi, I know this is a older thread but if someone is researching this I wanted to let them know my experince. I have had dogs my whole life never a problem I do therapy dogs as well. I did some research and thought well i am a advance dog person so I will get one but did not want a puppy as alot of times you do not know the true personality. so we rescued a 1 yr old who does not bark, snuggley likes cats all other dogs and is not shy around strangers yes I looked for 5 months and asked lots of questions before I got him to make sure he would be a good fit for are 2 cat 2 dog household. that said. He is horrible to house train He will pee on his own bed I am a at home mom he goes out about every hour on the hour usually more he is never out of my site if he is not on a leash next to me he is in his crate so at least there is no pee anywhere else he is only crated when i leave for a few hours or when I am sleeping. He can go about 3 weeks without a accident and then he just decides he doesn't feel like holding it. they are stubbern hate the rain, snow and sleet will protest the entire time I have done about an hour waiting for him to finally give up and go in the worst of weather. sometimes to no avail to warm back up and do it again. I train with my voice as a clicker we use the word yes he gets a treat so he understand that when he pees outside this is def what I want no communitcation problem but they are just hard wired different than any dog I have ever known in that respect so before you get a min pin make sure you are ok with he will pee in my house and have accidents I have come to the realization that mine will never be trusted out of site or for more than a few hours for the next 17 years and since I do not work I am ok with that some people use puppy pads but since I have large dogs and cats this is a no go for me besides a male dog lifts his leg not always ganna be hitting the pad so we just go out a million times a day sorry this is so long but I want others to know if they think I can do it other people just are not dillegent enough I am here to tell you that is not true a small percent get lucky but for all the love this little dog gives he can be the most stubborn about what he wants and what he doesn't want and most do not like to go out unless it is a perfect 75 degress out. good luck
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Super interesting to hear everyone's experiences.

I have been thinking about adopting a MinPin with a bad eye (about to be surgically removed) who is over 10 years old, and therefore not easily adopted out. I have a number of blind dogs, so one working eye actually gives her a strategic advantage over several in my house.

From the comments above, I'm thinking that a MinPin, even an older one, might be a little too energetic for us. That said, the rescue group says that this one appears to have never gone out for a walk because she freaks at being put on lead.

Could someone explain more about the comment above:
[q] They MUST be leashed always out doors, not a dog for a dog park. [/q]

Could someone explain why they can't be left outside off lead?

Also interested in the "not a dog for a dog park" aspect, but more interested in why they can't do fully-fenced in yards.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a min pin so I can explain alittle as to why they should not be left outside unattended:

#1 - they are hunters. Actually ratters. So any small movement and they are off to hunt down prey...even if it's not prey.
#2 - because they are hunters, they are very quick. They will borrow in high brush or even go into small holes etc. Once they are gone, they are very difficult to catch unless you have a good recall on your dog.
#3- they are so small that other animals can view them as prey. Wild animals and even some large birds can kill these dogs. Min pins are also way too small to bring to dog parks. They can be easily hurt by other larger dogs.
#4 - min pins are tough characters. They are bold and confrontational (not a rule however). This can cause problems with other dogs and again could result in a dog getting hurt..and more than likely the small one.
#5 - min pins are escape artitis and can squeeze themselves through the tinest of areas. I know as mine squeezed under our fence and took off. Luckily I got her back and how she got out will never be fixed as she dug the tinest hole and underground and under the fence. Na - they are houdinis!

As this dog you are considering is older and has an eye issue as well as nervous...I am certain you would not consider leaving this dog unattended.
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Oh ho! Very interesting! Thank you for that very useful information.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM

Old thread I know but interesting reading.

My girlfriend has a purebred male minpin, 3 years old, he's got us both wrapped and then some. Ears weren't cropped, born without a tail and cute as a friggin' button. I'm no dog expert, just putting the views out there of this particular minpin. They are a hundred pound dog in a 10 pound body.

There's no shortage of love and affection given to this dog. They are very endearing, affectionate, love to burrow (can be comical) and will tend to sleep under the covers in your bed. How they don't suffocate is beyond me, but that's where he sleeps. I don't find this dog overly hyper, not barky, not overly protective, he's apt to be a lap dog but has energy in reserve when it's playtime or time for a run. We exercise him through the halls of the condo when it's cold, in a full out run he sounds like a pack of horses running down the hall.

You MUST be able to give these dogs some trust. They are a dog, I've always believed in letting a dog be a dog, and min pins are a great example of a dog that shouldn't be humanized.

Dog park - resounding YES. These dogs have energy to burn off and a dog park is probably the best thing for them. They really need socialization with people/kids and other animals but Jagger seemed to come by it naturally. Yes, DO keep an eye out for them, they are small and can be an easy target. The first time we took Jagger out to the off leash, GF was a nervous wreck and it showed in the dog - second time she was fine, so was he. Let them sort out their own issues, don't try to rescue them in every situation - unless they need it - they are tough little dogs, they will surprise you, have some trust and faith in them.

Jagger has issue with large "puppies", he's not too fond of them and it's probably due to the lack of social skills in a young dog. A large boxer took him to task one day, young dog but full grown, rolled Jagger a few times in rough play. The boxers owner was going to intervene in case Jagger got hurt, I asked him to let it roll and watch how Jagger deals with it. I let him be a dog, Jagger gives 3 warnings by way of growl and shoulder check - then will bite, but not hard, only one nip is ever needed. Not once did he look to us to rescue him - but I wouldn't let him be in danger either. The boxer didn't know what to do and left him alone, and the owner was fine with the whole situation, good lesson for the boxer. For the rest of the walk, the boxer would turn and look at Jagger, but then resume his own way. Again, you need to have some trust in these dogs, they are mentally tough, fearless in many ways, they are intelligent and he won't take crap from any dog. He has zero issue with older large breeds, and for some reason will gravitate toward pit bulls and cane corso's.

Hunting? You bet your boots. Again, I like to let the dog be a dog. Will take him out periodically to hunt mice at friends farms and I swear he looks forward to it. Roll a hay block and watch him go, mice don't stand a chance. Gophers, he hasn't caught one yet (don't really want him to) but to watch him tear apart a hole to get at them is comical.

As a side, I love dachshund's as well, see them periodically in the park. Try to pet it and it runs behind the owner in fear. "Oh she's scared"... Really? Tends to take them off guard when I tell them that the dachshund was bred to be fearless for taking on badgers down hole. They shouldn't be afraid, it's in the way they are raised. I don't want Jagger to be afraid, and he's not.

We have him on a raw diet now, been nearly a month and he seems to love it. Starting to see the benefits of it and he'll be fed that way from here on in.

Overall, I never thought much about minpins til I met this little guy. Always thought they were yappy hyper little things but I was sooo wrong. For such a small package, they pack a big punch with a whole lot of love. Raise them right, and they are fantastic little dogs. He's not well trained with tricks, we really don't bother with it - he knows how to sit for food and that's about it. We do set boundaries, and he respects them. We won't humanize him, we trust him and have faith in him - that goes a long way. I wouldn't hesitate to have another in my life.

Last edited by rhynes; January 9th, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:46 PM

Min pins

I didn't do any research, and yet I have a min pin. He appeared on my doorstep time after time. I've never had a dog before. I'm 51 years old, and he is about 2 years old. Before I knew even what breed he was and before I learned anything about the breed... we have become attached. Him especially. But he is so bored. Wouldn't it be cruel to keep him?
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, pattyparker64!

If you have the time to spend with him, and he's bonded to you, it's not cruel to keep him. But do you think he's a dog from your neighborhood that's just been allowed to roam? )You say he "appeared on your doorstep time after time"....) Someone may be missing him. At the very least, you should check with the local shelter to see if anyone has reported him missing, and put up posters or ask around your neighborhood to see if anyone has been actively looking for him.

If he does end up staying, you'll need to start thinking about exercise for the little guy. If there is a dog park near you, that might be an answer--but you'll have to figure out how socialized he is, first (some dogs don't get along with other dogs). Leash-walking is an option, too--and good for both of you! Do some browsing for indoor games you can play with your dogs--if you stimulate his mind, he's less likely to get into mischief. There's no reason that you and he can't make each other very happy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

She could bring him to a vet to see if he has a microchip saying he who he belong to. I agree about putting up signs and if no one call after a week I think it would great to keep him . Dogs are good at finding nice people to care for them .
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good suggestion, Barkingdog! Yes, definitely have him scanned for a microchip!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."