Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM

Question Advice needed about BSL concerns

I also just bought a puppy the father is american bulldog and the mother is mixed american bulldog and dogo after reading all the posts I am now concerned about my baby being mistaken for a pit. I was not given papers for him but have him registered as american bulldog through our vet as well as the city licence......is there anything else I could do????
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:45 AM

Here is a pic of my little guy
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Formerly Bastien

Really nice looking pup! Where did you get him? And for your question, there isnt much to do but to train him well and keep him out of truble areas (dog park/public places) if your not 100% sure of your dogs behavior.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Posts moved to new thread.

Beautiful dog, DogLover11/9!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 7th, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Nothing you can do, even having your pup registered at the vet as something is not enough "evidence" that your dog isn't a pitbull. Being your dog is a mix breed there is no papers you could have been given, registration papers are only for registered purebred dogs.
Best bet is keeping the attention off of you and your dog, I see Dogo and thats about all in your puppy, but media see's pitbull as you can hear here.
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/1221.../ID=2201819599
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here in Ontario, it doesn't HAVE to be a pitbull, it just has to resemble one to be seized by animal control.

There is a bill that has passed it's second reading, but needs McGuinty's permission to come back for a third, please contact your MPP and tell him you want him to support this bill

http://www.randyhilliermpp.com/ontar...ic-legislation

http://supporthersheysbill.com/the-t...gislation-bsl/

Below are the dogs targeted by the Dog Owner’s Liability Act (DOLA);
(a) a pit bull terrier,
(b) a Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
(c) an American Staffordshire Terrier,
(d) an American Pit Bull Terrier,
(e) a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); (“pit-bull”)

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I have moved out many dogs from Ontario that were tagged 'Pitbulls' which clearly were not.
Under BSL any dog can be a victim.

Unfortunately your dog does resemble this 'type' of dog regardless of the breed within.

All you can do is be out of sight and out of mind with him.
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have moved out many dogs from Ontario that were tagged 'Pitbulls' which clearly were not.
Under BSL any dog can be a victim.

Unfortunately your dog does resemble this 'type' of dog regardless of the breed within.

Yup, it's going to take just one paranoid person to make the call.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; March 7th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

As an Animal Services Officer, u shouldn't have an issue. U said that you have him registered with ur vet and the city as an american bulldog. Considering its the city of Whitby that (does Ajax for AC), and they have their own city run shelter, it would be the cities animal services officers who would pick him up, if he ever got loose. Since u have him reg them, due to his dog license, they would run his tag and his breed would come up. Plus you have records from ur vet.

Reading the BSL is one thing to the general public, while working in the field and dealing with cases like these is a different story. In the field yes, certain protocols are followed, like spay/nuetured, has to be leashed, muzzled, or if it is determined that yes it is a pit bull breed, and not grandfathered, it is either humanely pts, or shipped out of the country. ASO's and shelter staff do not say oh well it looks like a pit bull...soo..Alot of breeds that remeble the pit bull breed, but might look like a pit are and can be adopted out. When i worked in Ontario, we had adopted out breeds that "looked" like pits, but were not infact pit bull breed...for instance amercian bulldogs, staffys.

The the above post, it takes a one parnoid person to make a call.. So let them call...you have ur dog registered with the city...they would come out take a look at ur dog, or if your dog is loose, pick him up..once u say he has a city license, they will run it that will be that.

LOVE4Himies..your comment "Here in Ontario, it doesn't HAVE to be a pitbull, it just has to resemble one to be seized by animal control"..is inaquate. sorry. In order to seize a dog, you better be damn sure is a PIT BULL and not a breed that looks like a pit. And yes, I have seized PIT BULL, due the owner not obeying the proticols. The dog was grandfathered, but not wearing a muzzle out in public when walked. You can't just seize a dog due to it looks like a pit bull...lawsuit on your hands, if the owner has it regestered as another breed.

Yes the BSL states dogs that "look" like pitties, but people who work in the field just don't put an animal down, etc because it "looks" like a pit..there is more too it.

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 1st, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post

LOVE4Himies..your comment "Here in Ontario, it doesn't HAVE to be a pitbull, it just has to resemble one to be seized by animal control"..is inaquate. sorry. In order to seize a dog, you better be damn sure is a PIT BULL and not a breed that looks like a pit. And yes, I have seized PIT BULL, due the owner not obeying the proticols. The dog was grandfathered, but not wearing a muzzle out in public when walked. You can't just seize a dog due to it looks like a pit bull...lawsuit on your hands, if the owner has it regestered as another breed.

(2) Section 1 of the Act is amended by adding the following definitions:
“pit bull” includes,
(a) a pit bull terrier,
(b) a Staffordshire bull terrier,
(c) an American Staffordshire terrier,
(d) an American pit bull terrier,
(e) a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those of dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); (“pit-bull”)

I would say the law is very clear on the "appearance" of a pitbull making it a very subjective clause in the law and up for interpretation by Animal Control.

As BM stated, she has had to transport out dogs that were clearly not Pitbulls but deemed to be one.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
When i worked in Ontario, we had adopted out breeds that "looked" like pits, but were not infact pit bull breed...for instance amercian bulldogs, staffys.
Ummmm, Staffordshire Terriers are banned too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, this often creates an unsocialized dog with potential behavior issues that are being targeted by the BSL. It comes full circle...if a dog is treated like a monster he often behaves like a monster, regardless of breed. It's a sad story, and I for one refuse to live in a province that is so belligerent.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

well im not going to argue lol im on call all weekend..

but like I said Doglover11/9..i would not worry, expecially since you have a city dog license and they have your dog on file, as an American Bulldog. Here are some dogs currently that are up for adoption, that resemble a "pit bull". Shelters will put a down a breed name, when they know that it is not a pit bull, but under the law the dog might resemble a pit in apprance. I guess what im saying that once again reading the BSL in the general publics view, is different when u work in the field. The law states that the below dogs should be pts, due to them looking like a pit, however that is not the case. All of these breeds could be classified as a pit bull mix...but shelter staff know that they are not..putting a breed like they have...they are regestered as that, when they leave the shelter...know what i mean?

http://www.petharbor.com/detail.asp?...where=type_DOG

http://www.petharbor.com/detail.asp?...where=type_DOG

The pic is a Fila Brasileiro/Mix at the Toronto Humane Society..
Attached Images

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 1st, 2012 at 11:55 AM.