Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

impossible question but I have to ask

does anyone at all know where a unaltered male shih tzu can be housed for approximately 8 months? where there are no young kids?
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
does anyone at all know where a unaltered male shih tzu can be housed for approximately 8 months? where there are no young kids?
I don't, sorry. Are you able to share the story behind this?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

my best friend in the world had a stroke two days after we buried her husband, she will be two months in the ottawa hospital then an additional 8 months in the cornwall rehab, her daughter has a young baby and can't take this dog, her sister has taken in her two other dogs, but this one, Bubbles, attacks her cat (who is 17 yrs old), Bubbles belongs to my friends mother who is in a nursing home and will only stay there if Claire (my friend) keeps him, she also refuses to neuter him and he is now7/ yrs old....
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, what a horrible situation

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Melinda I am so sorry about your dear friend. I found this link for a place around here that offered long term facilities for pets. Its probably not close to you but I was thinking if there might be something like it near by might be an option. Looks a little pricey but this place did offer a monthly rate so maybe others would too. The other idea that came to mind was if you know of a responsible teenager that would like a job? sounds corny but youo may find someone that would do it.

http://www.happytails.on.ca/

I really hope things work out its a very tough situation. You could tell them that who ever looks after it would want it neutered??

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks Winston, I'll check out the links, on a side note, I offered to pay for the big snip, the old lady shot me down *L*
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

well it could always become necessary while he is in care....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
thanks Winston, I'll check out the links, on a side note, I offered to pay for the big snip, the old lady shot me down *L*

http://www.neuticles.com/

she will never know.................................

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I remember seeing something about those...LOL and Melinda u could always use ping pong balls to save money LOL

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I must say I find it interesting that the fact this dog is not desexed is an issue. I have 5 dogs here not desexed and they're just fine, particularly now that the girls are desexed. What exactly concerns you ? I honestly don't understand the problem. Is it that you are scared of males escaping to hunt down intact females? If that happens it only means your fencing is inadequate and you shouldn't have dogs at all. I think this poor lady has enough to worry about without you getting on your soap box wanting her to desex this boy when she doesn't want that. Give the poor woman a break. I'd take on that dog in a heartbeat if I was there, just to set her mind at ease. Wouldn't even worry that he might want to kill the cats. My cats know to keep clear of our dogs.
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Would there be any Shih Tzu rescue groups that would consider taking him as a long-term placement due to the circumstances? There might be a foster home willing to have him while your friend rehabs. I have an online friend who suffered a very serious broken leg and her dog was placed in breed-specific rescue for a few months while she was recovering. Just another option to check into.

Another idea would be to check with her vet clinic and see if any of the staff would be willing to watch the dog. I know many of the vet techs in my area moonlight as pet sitters.

Tundra Queen, I have a friend with a Shih Tzu. I believe ping pong balls would be noticeable (wink).

I was seeing the problem with being unneutered as more of an issue with boarding kennels not always accepting these dogs, therefore, making him more difficult to place.

Melinda, sending prayers to your friend. So much to face right now. I hope you can find the sweet little dog a safe place to stay.
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I must say I find it interesting that the fact this dog is not desexed is an issue. I have 5 dogs here not desexed and they're just fine, particularly now that the girls are desexed. What exactly concerns you ? I honestly don't understand the problem. Is it that you are scared of males escaping to hunt down intact females? If that happens it only means your fencing is inadequate and you shouldn't have dogs at all. I think this poor lady has enough to worry about without you getting on your soap box wanting her to desex this boy when she doesn't want that. Give the poor woman a break. I'd take on that dog in a heartbeat if I was there, just to set her mind at ease. Wouldn't even worry that he might want to kill the cats. My cats know to keep clear of our dogs.
Well I guess it has to do with the following
-The majority of dogs hit by cars or that escape are not altered. Getting hit by a car is not good.. and if the dog lives the medical costs can be quite expensive

-The incidences of tumors and other cancers in unaltered dogs. I've seen so many myself I couldn't even keep count. Cancer is not a fun thing to deal with, and it's generally not cheap to treat... I know of anal tumors being VERY common in older unaltered male dogs and they require surgical removal in the majority of cases because the testosterone causes them to happen & grow and grow and grow until they can cause serious problems... including rupturing where a dog could possibly loose quite alot of blood.

-The behavior problems that come with unaltered male dogs. I've dealt with this alot too.. even in older dogs. I know of quite a number of dogs that were highly aggressive to the point their owners almost put them to sleep and instead we were able to neuter them and in conjunction with some behavior modification it made a world of difference and saved quite a few dogs lives...

-The problems with unaltered male dogs marking their territory, especially with an older male dog needing to be moved to a new place ASAP people will often be less inclined to take him on knowing he is not altered because the idea of him marking is very unappealing.

-The problems related to older unaltered dogs and prostate problems.. I've seen alot of this too from working in a spay/neuter clinic.. they get hormonal imbalances that cause prostate problems which make it difficult to urinate properly. Obviously being able to urinate is generally considered necessary for living.

Generally much cheaper to pay a one time upfront fee to have a dog neutered than all the problems that happen later in life. Maybe you don't have problems now, but if you constantly want to preach about how awful we are for being concerned for the health consequences of not altering an animal, when a few years from now your dogs have health or behavior problems, prostate/anal cancer or tumors etc. I hope I don't have to see you crying about it on here. Just my & have a nice evening.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Well I guess it has to do with the following
-The majority of dogs hit by cars or that escape are not altered. Getting hit by a car is not good.. and if the dog lives the medical costs can be quite expensive

I dare say that relates more to the fact that people who can't afford to desex their dog also can't afford adequate fencing. If they can't get out they will NOT get hit by a car.

-The incidences of tumors and other cancers in unaltered dogs. I've seen so many myself I couldn't even keep count. Cancer is not a fun thing to deal with, and it's generally not cheap to treat... I know of anal tumors being VERY common in older unaltered male dogs and they require surgical removal in the majority of cases because the testosterone causes them to happen & grow and grow and grow until they can cause serious problems... including rupturing where a dog could possibly loose quite alot of blood.

I wish I could recall the drug they treat them with, my own red boy's sire was on it. I'm sure you know what it is. I would not be letting a tumour of that type grow and grow and grow without heading for the vet and that treatment, I'm having a senior moment here, the one that acts like chemical castration. It'll come to me the minute I post this.

-The behavior problems that come with unaltered male dogs. I've dealt with this alot too.. even in older dogs. I know of quite a number of dogs that were highly aggressive to the point their owners almost put them to sleep and instead we were able to neuter them and in conjunction with some behavior modification it made a world of difference and saved quite a few dogs lives...

I wonder why they became so aggressive? None of mine have and mine are cattle dogs, which have quite a reputation here. Nothing will convince me it was just because they were entire. In better hands and with behaviour modification, perhaps even better owners in the first place I reckon they'd have been fine. Have you ever owned an unaltered male yourself that 'turned'. My sister did, a male Dobe, but research proved it was just very bad temperament, with nothing that didn't turn nasty in the line. But, we are talking about a Shih Tzu that a little old lady was capable of managing .

-The problems with unaltered male dogs marking their territory, especially with an older male dog needing to be moved to a new place ASAP people will often be less inclined to take him on knowing he is not altered because the idea of him marking is very unappealing.

How long will that go on? The whole 8 months? I think I could tolerate it.

-The problems related to older unaltered dogs and prostate problems.. I've seen alot of this too from working in a spay/neuter clinic.. they get hormonal imbalances that cause prostate problems which make it difficult to urinate properly. Obviously being able to urinate is generally considered necessary for living.

And having owned so many entire dogs I know that the only time we had problems with prostate in certain males (certainly not all) was when the girls came in season. Not a problem for anyone taking on one entire dog, or for someone with spayed girls.

Generally much cheaper to pay a one time upfront fee to have a dog neutered than all the problems that happen later in life. Maybe you don't have problems now, but if you constantly want to preach about how awful we are for being concerned for the health consequences of not altering an animal, when a few years from now your dogs have health or behavior problems, prostate/anal cancer or tumors etc. I hope I don't have to see you crying about it on here. Just my & have a nice evening.
Karyn, in a lot of case I'd agree on desexing but then I also believe that people should be allowed to do what they want with their own dog, and that sick people such as this woman should not be made to worry about whether someone will desex her little dog while she is too ill to stop them. It would be terrible if she was pushed into another stroke that killed her.
If we are going to worry about all the things that might happen maybe we should get our (human) guys desexed too, though I know mine would say no , or we should all rush out and have mastectomies for fear of breast cancer - and wow, isn't that a killer? I have had dogs with prostate trouble, none killed by it, with ACD's being born white and prone to it I've had all sorts of cancers, but that unfortunately is life. My spayed cattle dog girl has a mammary tumour right now, my vet will call in tonight to check both my oldies after his clinic in a local town, but hey, she's almost 15, and if I live that long in human years something has to kill me too . That's not being callous, just realistic.
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields, he's a cross dog that humps everything in sight, including children, if a stranger enters the house he runs and pee's beside him/her. No worries about him escaping, their yards are completely fenced back and front, he tries to pick fights with any other male dog that is brought over to visit, can't tell you how often I have had to wash Brina's leg or tail because of this dog.....*L*

the dog lives with my girlfriend but actually belongs to her mother who is in a nursing home, its the mother who does NOT want it fixed...
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Let's not have this thread turn into a debate about spay/neuter but rather keep as it was intended, which is to help a pup out for a few months while its owner gets on the mend.

Thanks and best of luck finding a temp home for him Melinda.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Goldfields, he's a cross dog that humps everything in sight, including children, if a stranger enters the house he runs and pee's beside him/her. No worries about him escaping, their yards are completely fenced back and front, he tries to pick fights with any other male dog that is brought over to visit, can't tell you how often I have had to wash Brina's leg or tail because of this dog.....*L*

the dog lives with my girlfriend but actually belongs to her mother who is in a nursing home, its the mother who does NOT want it fixed...
There is no need to defend your common sense Melinda.
Scratch out a rescue group to take in this dog. They will INSIST on sterilzing for sure.

I wish I could help Melinda, but as this dog is intact, has all these issues, I highly doubt that you will get the needed assistance. And yes Melinda..had the dog been already sterilized and socialized there would probably be no need to seek out help.

You are an angel for trying though. I hope that someone can find a solution.
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac View Post
Let's not have this thread turn into a debate about spay/neuter but rather keep as it was intended, which is to help a pup out for a few months while its owner gets on the mend.

Thanks and best of luck finding a temp home for him Melinda.
thanks for the good wishes Carnac.
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
There is no need to defend your common sense Melinda.
Scratch out a rescue group to take in this dog. They will INSIST on sterilzing for sure.

I wish I could help Melinda, but as this dog is intact, has all these issues, I highly doubt that you will get the needed assistance. And yes Melinda..had the dog been already sterilized and socialized there would probably be no need to seek out help.

You are an angel for trying though. I hope that someone can find a solution.
I really see no hope, but I promised the family I would post, thank you all for your suggestions.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL. Does make you wonder why she loves him as he is, doesn't it? Still, it's her dog and a very difficult situation. Claire is the owner's daughter? And mum won't stay in the nursing home unless she minds the dog? Ooh, the difficulties of having aging, unwell mums in nursing homes. A close friend of mine is having all sorts of trouble with hers too.
BenMax, if you meant a Breed Rescue Group, like we have for Shelties, they would never desex a dog against an owner's wishes. I know sheltie owners have got sick here and all their dogs were fostered out and taken very good care of. It might be worthwhile just to ask them at least. What about the dog's breeder, has he/she been approached?
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1006815]BenMax, if you meant a Breed Rescue Group, like we have for Shelties, they would never desex a dog against an owner's wishes. IQUOTE]

I can honestly tell you that here, reputable rescues and SPCA's INSIST on sterilization by contract. No dog or cat is adopted out to ANYONE who does not want to sterilize. As long as an animal is of age, they will be sterilized before adoption. If they are pups, they will be followed up to assure that they are done. The only time an animal is exempt from this rule, is if way too old of if there are medical conditions that prevent this.

This is true for breed specific rescues including our Sheltie Rescues.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

ok, just received word that he'll be going into a rescue and neutured....thank god.....

Goldfields, all the rescues in Ontario at least s/n the dogs before released for adoption or if they are two young you hold joint ownership with the rescue till the dog is of age and then once altered they sign it over to you. *S*
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
ok, just received word that he'll be going into a rescue and neutured....thank god.....

Goldfields, all the rescues in Ontario at least s/n the dogs before released for adoption or if they are two young you hold joint ownership with the rescue till the dog is of age and then once altered they sign it over to you. *S*
WOW!!!!. Melinda - you ROCK!
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

That's good that it's organised, did the owner give in graciously? Re our sheltie rescue, of dogs belonging to someone in a similar position, I meant they were just looked after for the owner and returned to her as they were, different to the shelties they rescue from Pounds here. Those do get desexed I'm sure. I've noticed lately, when our local Pounds advertise dogs and cats in the paper, that they are saying 'this dog is not desexed'. Makes me wonder if they are finding that people don't want to pay the biggish price they need to charge if they are doing everything before they try to rehome them? With a puppy people can cover their expenses seeing they don't all come at once. Problems everywhere.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields, the owner doesn't know about it and they will cross that bridge when they come to it *S*.......
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Goldfields, the owner doesn't know about it and they will cross that bridge when they come to it *S*.......
I am so glad you found somebody to take him.

You know, I think that would be the least of her worries after what she has gone through

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hope she loves her daughter more than she does her (entire) dog. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when she is told. Hope it doesn't distress/anger her too much.
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Mickey, my angel

There was no easy answer to a situation like this. I just hope that things work out in the long run for all concerned including the dog.

Melinda, your friend has a tough road ahead. Wishing her all the best and for a complete recovery.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Senior Contributor

thank you Mikischo, she can use all the prayers she can get.

Goldfields, we haven't even told the "mother" yet that her daughter has had a stroke....it was a bad shock to her to lose her son in law....so until we can give her good news about Claire, we're just saying she is busy at home/work and taking care of business.....so hopefully the dog will be the last thing on her mind.....
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, could you tell how I misread your post? Sorry, I thought it was the mum who had the stroke. Well, that's a different story then, isn't it, you need to get any stress out of Claire's life, at this point she must come first. Good for you, Melinda. You've dealt with it, now you can relax and concentrate on helping your friend recover. Best wishes to her, and hugs for you.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Best wishes for both your friend and her mother! How is your friend doing?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."