Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 10th, 2023, 09:36 PM

Do pets know what we say to them?

Do pets understand what we say to them? I read somewhere that talking or reading to your pets makes them smarter, but that was in a mystery book I read once, and not in a professional pet journal.

Whenever Bob nibbles my hand or tries to bite me, I say no, then I say, "You're a nice sweet good Bob, and nice sweet good Bobs don't bite!" I also give little compliments to Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty, saying that they're good girls, and I also scold them when they do something they shouldn't, like jumping on the kitchen table or the curtains (and about that, would pet repellent spray work on those? I said in a previous post that I'd spray the furniture with it, and the smell drives the cats away so they don't scratch it). Even up until the day Ambre died, I'd say "I love you" and "You're such a good boy". Also, when the kitties sneeze, I say "Bless you" Even my dad has a little dialog he uses with Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty: "Well, ladies, let's go up to bed. Sweet dreams."
Old February 13th, 2023, 04:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whether they get smarter or not, I think talking to them is good for their mental stimulation. They do start to recognize words they hear all the time, especially the ones associated with good outcomes (things like 'treat' and 'walk' for the dogs, for instance).

And I think (but I'm no animal psychologist ) that it helps them to bond to their human caretakers if we talk to them. Again, I'm no expert, but it does seem that once bonded, they do pick up on what you're saying more. Some of it might be that they're reading our body language, as well. But once they get to the point that they realize those funny noises you make actually mean something, it seems like they start picking up on your intent and meaning a lot quicker, doesn't it? I'm not sure how it plays in their head, but on some level they understand...

(How's that for a word salad, noncommittal reply? )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 14th, 2023, 09:21 AM

While pets may not understand the meaning of specific words or language, they are generally able to recognize and respond to the tone of our voice, our body language, and the overall emotional content of our communication. Additionally, pets can learn to associate certain words or sounds with particular actions or events, such as going for a walk or receiving a treat.