Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:35 AM

Exclamation Orphaned Kitten won't go potty on his own!

Hello all! I just recently took in an orphaned kitten last Sunday. He had a horrible eye infection and was beyond dehydrated. He's doing much better now, and we have a vet appt set up. He recently starte running this morning which leads me to believe he is between 4-5 months old. I'm not sure for how long he was abandoned, but he still cannot go to the restroom without stimulation. I don't mind, but all I have read says that kittens can go on their own around 2-3 weeks of age. Why can't he, and is it possible to help him learn quicker? (besides stimulation, of course, as I am already doing so regularly.)
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for rescuing this kitten.

Could he be possibly be a bit younger? I know Sweet Pea was still stimulating her kittens until they were about 4 weeks and some started using the litter box days before other did. Perhaps this one is a bit slower to develop.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you for your reply!

I suppose he could be a bit younger, but I don't think by much. He has some teeth, is walking well and started playing 2 days ago, an running this morning. So I thought that fit the 4-5 weeks. I plan on asking his vet but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do in the mean time. So I can't really determine his age on my own exactly! But actually, I think he just peed on my bed all on his own, lol!
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Kitty pimp

sorry to hear that last i am betting ion the slow learner theory i have had a few like that
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaD View Post
Hello all! I just recently took in an orphaned kitten last Sunday. He had a horrible eye infection and was beyond dehydrated. He's doing much better now, and we have a vet appt set up. He recently starte running this morning which leads me to believe he is between 4-5 months old. I'm not sure for how long he was abandoned, but he still cannot go to the restroom without stimulation. I don't mind, but all I have read says that kittens can go on their own around 2-3 weeks of age. Why can't he, and is it possible to help him learn quicker? (besides stimulation, of course, as I am already doing so regularly.)
Do you think the kitten could had been abandoned because it has health issues? I hope no one did do that to the poor kitten. Maybe he has an urine infection and is having trouble peeing. Maybe you should get an urine sample to bring it to the vet to rule any infections . I am glad to rescued the kitten .
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Do you think the kitten could had been abandoned because it has health issues? I hope no one did do that to the poor kitten. Maybe he has an urine infection and is having trouble peeing. Maybe you should get an urine sample to bring it to the vet to rule any infections . I am glad to rescued the kitten .
I believe it was abandoned by the mother because of a bad eye infection, when I found him his eyes were glued shut with puss, I thought he would be blind. But lately I have seen the mother cat (she belongs to a neighbor a my apartment complex, they are irresponsible and have not spayed her and let her be outside all hours) alone without her kittens. A couple weeks before I found him, I saw the mother cat with 5 or 6 kittens, now she never has any. The only two I've seen are the one I saved and a dead one that had died in the apartment parking lot. I think she has just abandoned all of them, so I'm not sure if he has any serious health problems.

I have a vet appt but the soonest they could fit me in is the 19th. The kitten is able to go to the restroom with stimulation just not on it's own from what I've seen. He isn't showing any signs of being in pain, his urine smells like normal, not too funky.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I believe it was abandoned by the mother because of a bad eye infection, when I found him his eyes were glued shut with puss, I thought he would be blind. But lately I have seen the mother cat (she belongs to a neighbor a my apartment complex, they are irresponsible and have not spayed her and let her be outside all hours) alone without her kittens. A couple weeks before I found him, I saw the mother cat with 5 or 6 kittens, now she never has any. The only two I've seen are the one I saved and a dead one that had died in the apartment parking lot. I think she has just abandoned all of them, so I'm not sure if he has any serious health problems.

I have a vet appt but the soonest they could fit me in is the 19th. The kitten is able to go to the restroom with stimulation just not on it's own from what I've seen. He isn't showing any signs of being in pain, his urine smells like normal, not too funky.
That is horrible about the person that owns the cat. It would be great if someone could rescue the mother cat too. I am glad there are people like you that care about animals. Will you keep the kitten ? The owner of the cat show be reported for animals abuse. That is good the urine smells normal , is the kitten pooping ok? That is too bad the vet can't see the kitten sooner. Could you call and see if they would tell you if anyone has canceled their appointment?
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for rescuing this kitten. That said you need to call the vet back and tell them it is urgent the kitten be seen sooner than the 19th. Or find another vet. By the 19th there could be many complications if in fact this kitten has a UTI. Good luck to you both.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Thank you for rescuing this kitten. That said you need to call the vet back and tell them it is urgent the kitten be seen sooner than the 19th. Or find another vet. By the 19th there could be many complications if in fact this kitten has a UTI. Good luck to you both.
I called the vet like suggested, they said if anything opens up they will let me know! How would I know if it is a urinary tract infection? Are there any obvious signs? The kitten is pooping fine for the most part, he has a little diarrhea but when I asked the vet over the phone he said its common in kittens just starting kitten formula and wet food. He told me what to look out for and if it lasts too long to take the kitten to emergency care. I've been adding a little plain yogurt to his formula and that is helping him a lot, too.

And yes I plan on keeping the kitten. My boyfriend wasn't too happy about that haha! But he is doing well, no signs of worms or anything, and my 5 month old son loves him.

As for the mother cat, I'm not sure exactly who owns her. I just know she is well fed and sometimes put in at night. But our apartment complex has so many strays! You can't go outside without seeing a stray cat or once in a while a dog. It's really unfortunate.

Last edited by CearaD; May 31st, 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Left a part out!
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM

Thank you for rescuing this precious kitten.

I had a rescue kitty of 4 weeks old that pottied on my bed also. I took a piece of toilet paper and soaked up the pee as much as I could and then placed it in his litter box. I then took the kitten and placed him in the box, put his nose to the paper so he could smell it and then took one of his little pawsies and made a scratching motion in the litter with it. I also left the paper in the box. From then on he used the litter box. I had him closed in a room when I first got him so that he got accustomed to where his litter box was, then after about 4-5 days he was let out to venture the rest of the house. I hope this helps.

Bless you and thank you again for rescuing the kitten and I hope you are able to see a vet sooner than the 19th. Is this your regular vet or are there other vets in your area that you can bring the kitten to? If so, I would call them up, explain the kittens condition and see if you can get one sooner.

Also, any chance on seeing a picture or two, or three, of the baby?
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I called the vet like suggested, they said if anything opens up they will let me know! How would I know if it is a urinary tract infection? Are there any obvious signs? The kitten is pooping fine for the most part, he has a little diarrhea but when I asked the vet over the phone he said its common in kittens just starting kitten formula and wet food. He told me what to look out for and if it lasts too long to take the kitten to emergency care. I've been adding a little plain yogurt to his formula and that is helping him a lot, too.

And yes I plan on keeping the kitten. My boyfriend wasn't too happy about that haha! But he is doing well, no signs of worms or anything, and my 5 month old son loves him.

As for the mother cat, I'm not sure exactly who owns her. I just know she is well fed and sometimes put in at night. But our apartment complex has so many strays! You can't go outside without seeing a stray cat or once in a while a dog. It's really unfortunate.
That is great that you're keeping the kitten , have you thought of any names yet? I can't wait to see some photo of your new baby.
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:18 AM

We named him Leon James. (: and sure let me figure out how to from my phone!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:53 PM

Hello all! Sorry I am updating so late.
My kitten went pee on his own, finally! unfortunately, it was on my boyfriend, haha. He also took right to the litterbox. So far he hasnt gone poo by himself but we are working on it. I am so proud of the little guy! I will attach some photos of little Leon. (:
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: fixed pic links
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, what a sweetie pie. . You know he will be forever loyal and you will be his best friend for life. Thank you so much for rescuing this poor helpless soul.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What an incredibly adorable little guy!!! His luck sure changed the day you took him in! Thanks for being such an angel!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
kitten, litter box, orphan, poop, stimulation