Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM

litterbox issue

For the last two days I've seen very runny stool in the litter box, my cat eats about 50/50 dry/wet food.

His dry was Spa Blue ( has the little dark anti-oxident bits inside ) regular cat food. Now last weekend I went for the outdoor cat version of it, it looked like a much higher quality food. It says high protein - less carbs on the bag, and has 45% protein content.

I cant think why the same brand of food, but with more protein (meat) inside would cause this?

Could it be something else?

P.S. plus this started I would say on Wed or Thurs, hes had the new food since Sunday!

edit: I forgot to mention hes acting normal as far as i can tell

Last edited by bubbles007; October 11th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

It's possible he's reacting to a new ingredient that wasn't in the old dry food. I'm not sure exactly which flavour you were feeding but I assume the one you switched to is Blue Wilderness. That one has turkey meal and whitefish meal on top of the chicken and salmon that are also in the other flavours. Perhaps stop feeding it and see what happens.

What canned food do you feed? Maybe he's developed sensitivities to something in that.

To deal with the runny poop, you could try some slippery elm powder mixed in with the canned. Some info on that here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...em=slipperyelm

Forgot: He goes outside, doesn't he? There's always the possibility that he got into something disagreeable out there.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Yeah its wilderness, with the glossy bag and lynx looking cat on the front.

I'm going to give him only canned for the next few days, hopefully it clears up, plus he needs the high water content in canned food if hes dehydrated.

And yes he does go outside for a couple hours a night, maybe he ate some bad grass.