Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

curious as to dog walking

I'm curious as to how much people walk their dogs, its probably been asked before.
with Brina , I go out at 5:15 am for a 45 minute walk, then at noon we play fetch etc in the back yard for 30 minutes then an hour walk after supper, did I mention the weird lady next door that will cross the road when she see's us yelling "your dog is cross, its black, your dog will attack, its black" (wish I could copy her accent on here *L*)

anyways, I'm curious like I said, with fosters also, I imagine they have to be walked often to get to know how they are on a leash, do you take them with your dog(s), or separate? what time do you have to get up in the mornings in order to walk them all......when I first had Whisper/Skylar, I'd walk her first then do Brina, once she was checked out at the vets and I let them meet it became much easier to walk them together 3 times a day.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I have always followed a routine, on average I'd say 3 hrs a day. 1st thing in the morning when I get home from work, mid afternoon is the longest where I go to Angrignon and again 9 ish at night.

It's not only important for the exercise/socialization it's also very stimulating sniffing around doing what dogs love to do
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

and if it rains or storms GG? sometimes I'll hold off a bit to see if it lets up, like this morning, so our walk was late
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

It has never changed, rain or snow Brandi won't even pee in her backyard I have no choice. Besides I too need/love fresh air no matter what season.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldengirls and I are the only ones that walk our dogs??
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
An Honest Contributor

LOL I think alot of people are away. Speaking of it's pouring anyone want to meet up at Angrignon
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Molly's mama

I'm here!!
I walk Molly to the park in the mornings for a big game of fetch to really wear her out, sometimes a short walk in the afternoon, and then usually DH and I will take her for a 20-30 min walk after dinner.
she does spend a lot of time outside on a tie-out when I am home, which seems stimulating for her, but man would I love a fenced in yard!!! one day....
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

oh I hear you Molly, Brina loves being outside on the deck when I'm home, she has a 60 foot tie out, we inquired about fencing our yard, just for the equipment and doing it ourselves would be upward of 5 grand,

GG I'll meet you there *L* ummm which way?
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
An Honest Contributor

Umm, that way "pointing" lol
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

*L* thanks
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I will walk them in the mornings ( if I can move) for a small walk. or I will wait until around lunch time, that walk will be a little longer ( as long as it's not to hot.. Archie can only go for a short walk on very hot days)
then I will wait until late at night when hubby is home to take them for about an hour.

fall and winter time is different.

Spring and summer = 2 walks and some play time

fall and winter = 2 walks and a lot of snow/play time

and GG I thought it was this was pointing in the other direction
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I don't really have a set routine for walking the dogs. It depends on the weather and other factors and honestly in the cold months, they don't get walked as much as they should. Since DH takes Hazel to work most days, he walks her for 30-45 minutes before going to the shop, and again for 30-45 min before they come home. If he's not super busy, he'll also take a break sometime during the day for a walk.

I have to be to work fairly early, and I'm not a morning person so on weekdays Malone gets a long walk in the evenings when I get home. He's not much of a morning dog either, he doesn't get out of bed until after I'm in the shower - and then he only goes as far as the couch to continue his snooze. We work off the rest of his energy playing fetch or some other game with him.

When we are at the lake during the summer weekends, we take them for a couple of walks each day down the shoreline where they chase the birds or just play in the water. They also swim alot.

I try to avoid walking them together if I have to have them on leash. I have a tandem leash, but I can't control the two of them as well as I can control either of them alone. It's only a problem if they see something they'd like to chase, like a squirrel - but there are tons of squirrels in my neighborhood.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks Breeze!!!!!! *looks in both directions*
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Half Way To Crazy

what is a tandem leash,??
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
thanks Breeze!!!!!! *looks in both directions*
don't forget up and down too
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

you cant fool me, if I go "up" I'll be in Massena NY!!!
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
what is a tandem leash,??
It's a leash that has hooks for 2 collars:
http://www.jbpet.com/Double-Dog-Leash,1138.html
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
An Honest Contributor

Sun is trying to peek out. I keep getting soaked, weather is so unrealiable lately. Rain, cloud, sun then a storm all within the same hour, nuts.
Quote:
So then just come down, we'll walk barefoot in the rain.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
It's a leash that has hooks for 2 collars:
http://www.jbpet.com/Double-Dog-Leash,1138.html
now I understand..

I tried that with Bree and Archer but it didn't work to well... so now I use two leashes one short ( which ever one is beside me, that's usally Bree) and one longer one other wise Arch pees on Bree
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

*L* I'd love to GG!!
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
now I understand..

I tried that with Bree and Archer but it didn't work to well... so now I use two leashes one short ( which ever one is beside me, that's usally Bree) and one longer one other wise Arch pees on Bree
If both dogs are walking calmly, it works ok. But if one is moving faster than the other, they run into each other. If it's Malone running into Hazel, then she thinks he is trying to play and she'll stop to try and wrestle with him. If it's Hazel running into Malone, he gets mad and trys to avoid her - which makes them run into each other more. LOL
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
If both dogs are walking calmly, it works ok. But if one is moving faster than the other, they run into each other. If it's Malone running into Hazel, then she thinks he is trying to play and she'll stop to try and wrestle with him. If it's Hazel running into Malone, he gets mad and trys to avoid her - which makes them run into each other more. LOL
I had that, But it's always Archie that starts ( he doesn't walk straight) he likes to cut Bree off sometimes,
until I found out that the shorter and longer leash works for me, and lots and lots of training.. we still have our "off" days, thats when we cut the walk even shorter and head home..

ahhh the joys of two dogs..

and by the way I don't think I have seen pictures lately of your two hint hint wink wink...
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

when I had whisper/skylar here , I used two 20 foot ropes to walk them *LOL* man would they get tangled...usually around my legs
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

It irritates eme when people say they dont walk their dogs I dont care how long they play inside/outside the house. A dog still needs a stable walk, they DO have a walking instinct Dontcha know!.,. lol.. Ok, Rant time over , Wait, actually, one more thing. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE ASSUME JUST BECAUSE A DOG IS SMALL, IT DOESNT NEED A WALK. Ok, now im done.

Keely gets walked, every day, twice a day.. Shes a terrier, I think its mandatory.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM

I don't stick much to a routine time-wise, but I take Ranger out for 2-3 walks a day. 2 are usually in the 40 min range and the other is about 20 mins. I try to get one longer walk done in the morning before work and the others are usually at lunch and in the evening. Plus we go out for 2-3 15 - 20 mins training sessions sporadically during the day.

He's about 10 months to a year old and fairly calm so sometimes when I'm sick (or being lazy) we just go for one walk, but I'll usually pay for it the next day. Lately he's been super high energy so it's good I'm starting to run again this week!
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We don't walk the Pack. The Pack is self-exercising (thank Dawg! Walking 8 dogs would more than fill up my day! ) We have a large fenced-in yard (actually, several of them) and they get hours to play. And, of course, in late autumn and early winter they get regular outings in the woods.

The vets are always marveling at how slow and steady their heartbeats are and what good muscle tone they have. Luckily, my dogs aren't small so babymomma won't be irritated at me for not walking them! Sorry, bm...just couldn't resist

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley and roxy get at least 3 walks a day, the longest one being lunch time because Kayla is not with me. But they come out side with us every time we play.
They also get many training sessions a day which tires them out mentally
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

When we have a dog around, it's walked several times a day Of course, my Mom now walks Sadie several times a day. My brother however, their Alaskan husky is given the yard to run (not a big yard either, just a little one), as they don't have time to take them out every day :sad:
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We don't walk the Pack. The Pack is self-exercising (thank Dawg! Walking 8 dogs would more than fill up my day! ) We have a large fenced-in yard (actually, several of them) and they get hours to play. And, of course, in late autumn and early winter they get regular outings in the woods.

The vets are always marveling at how slow and steady their heartbeats are and what good muscle tone they have. Luckily, my dogs aren't small so babymomma won't be irritated at me for not walking them! Sorry, bm...just couldn't resist
lol, i can excuse you this time hazel i think you have good reason not to walk them though
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.