Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 24th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Question vaccinations for indoor cats

I am going to be taking my 2 cats to the vet soon and I have read some articles that say not to vaccinate indoor cats.

If I do vaccinate them, which ones should I get them? Is rabies good enough? They are both about 9yrs old.

Any suggestion for or against vaccinations?

I forgot to my cats are stickly indoor. They are actually scared of the outside. The only time they have outside is in a carrier when I moved from one house to another and when of course brought them home.

I think I may be over reacting because from what I read cats can get cancer or really sick from the vaccines. I just lost a cat to cancer 3 weeks ago I don't think I want to go through that again so soon.

Both of the cats have a their shots when they were younger.

Last edited by snowflake1; January 24th, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
-

You'll probably be getting many different opinions on vaccinations.

Mine is , I get my cats (indoors only) their first shots and that's it. They get the basic + rabies shot.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM

My cats are strictly indoors, and got all their first shots, only because the vet wouldn't spay/neuter them without shots. They haven't had any since. I don't know if shots are necessary or not with indoor cats, I just choose not to and haven't had any problem.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM

that is what I have read too. I am leaning more towards what you two are thinking. They are both healthy and if they do get sick I take them to the vet. And from what I read online the first shot and then the booster after that is all that is pretty much needed.

But this issue here is I would like to adopt a kitten from the humane society one day and they want you to have your current cats vaccines up to date.

So I am trying to figure out what to do.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
For a while, when we had what horse people refer to as a 'closed herd' of 7 indoor cats, we didn't do rigorous annual vac's (I'm a bit on the fence on the issue, partly due to finances, and partly due to some experience with 'over treating'-my interpretation). However, with feral cats being assimilated (and all of them receiving shots during their spay/neuter app'ts) into our home, I had the 'original' cats done.

I wanted to minimize the possibility of any health complications, with new arrivals...also maintained a quarantine period with each new arrival. This fall, I felt it would be best to give everyone their boosters, after a year or 2 off, when we took in a stray kitten (kitten received first shots etc., too).

It's a bit awkward if one cat needs a vet visit, and the tribe isn't up to date at all; some vets won't see a cat under those circumstances...and I worry about the cat picking up something at the clinic, and bringing it home. On the other hand, I do wonder about the necessity of having indoor cats vaccinated EVERY year...although the accompanying health exam can obviously be helpful.

Then again, if there are dogs in the household-presumably going outside-that does present another, at least slight, risk. Not to mention humans possibly carrying 'something' with them; if I have contact with other cats, I change my clothes, and wash up well when I get home-immediately. (I do the same thing if I'm on another farm with horses, before I go in my own barn, handle horses.)

It IS a bit of a tough call...I tend to be a worrywart , so my decisions are made from that perspective...arghh.
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:29 AM

My if your cats are only indoors they don't need any more vaccines. Since they had their kitten shots they should have antibodies against the viruses. If you are not in an area that is rabies endemic they don't need that one, especially being indoors & given that they are not out catching mice & birds.

A kitten has maternal antibodies from it's mother that protect it up til 10-16 weeks and any vaccination prior to 12 weeks destroys those natural antibodies. After 10-16 weeks with proper care, nutrition, no stress the cat builds it's own immune system.

You can request to have an antibody-titre test done to check for antibody levels against various viruses instead of vaccinating them.

Not only does the vaccine produce symptoms that mimick the virus itself, the adjuvents & preservatives contain carcinogens & disease causing chemicals like mercury & formaldehyde. Given repeatedly these chemicals create a toxic build up in the body that has no where to go.

Combination vaccines often overwhelm the immune system leaving the animal feeling weak, tired & sick for a couple of hours upto a week after the vaccine.

http://www.peterdobias.com/community...-on-vet-bills/

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Thank you for posting this question, I had wondered this about my girl and the lady I adopted her from had said the same thing. As long as she is up to date on shots and spayed (which she is) and she is the only cat and and indoor cat (which she is) she said she doesn't recommend future vaccinations.
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Smile

Thanks for the informed info-as usual -growler. I can never quite put together/remember/understand that technical stuff , but it's my instinctive inclination.

Now that Tally's been done i.e. first shot, and the crew had boosters after more like 3 years, I think we're done for a while. Gonna dial down my 'incipient hysteria ', a notch, tanks to you !!
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I too wonder about this...I have always gotten the first shot and booster and that was it...however, I wonder about taking them to the vet...they usually make friends with other furries there and what if one of the others had something? You can ask 10 vets and get 10 answers...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
You can ask 10 vets and get 10 answers...
Most vets will still tell you to do vaccination every year to make $$ , what they should say is : you don't need to vaccinate them every year but a check up once a year would be good.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Ours are indoors and we don't vaccinate unless required by the cat hotel when we need to board them.