Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM

Hopefully you guys can help

Hello all,

I have a 3 year old Husky named Leelu. She is absolutely amazing. Well she has been shedding a lot more then normal. We also moved and I started running her a bit more. So I figured those two things affected her shedding. Plus its the beginning of summer. Never the less. I got worried.

So I searched and I was directed to this website and the forums. I feel better about her shedding but from all the other post I definitely going to take her off her food (Purina One, I know I am sorry. I didn't know)

I went to our local feed store and seen Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I read from here that the Omega 3 would help with her shedding and help her coat shine more.

So two questions. Is that brand good? And we usually feed her half dry food and half soft food. Can anyone recommend a good soft food as well to mix in?

Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely

Joel, Amber,& Leelu
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM

Taste of the Wild is a very good brand I believe they also carry their line in canned as well.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Taste of the the Wild has recently had widespread recalls due to Salmonella poisoning. The illness has been in the humans that handle the food but investigation is ongoing to see if many sick dogs have also suffered. The Pacific Stream formula, which I was feeding, is not one of the recalled flavours but many folks wonder when it will be. As the story on the salmonella problem grew more and more formulas were added to the list. Diamond, the parent company, also manufactures several other brands in some of it's plants and those other brands also have formulas on the recall list.

http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-...untary-recall/

FWIW you would be going from a food with grain to a grain free food. Some dogs will have trouble with that switch, mine didn't. I actually rotate and can switch between any of my foods, two with grain, one grain free, cold turkey.

If the Purina One is otherwise OK for your pup I suggest you use the protein, fat and Kcal/cup numbers as a guide to what to look for in your new food. I find the TOTW is lower in Kcal/cup than my other two foods and I have to feed more of it to keep weight on my dog. With all three of my foods I do supplement with EFA, which does help with coat.

For my dog I think I will not use TOTW in future and am searching for a fish based alternative. It was fine but, all those recalls. I knew about previous ones when I started on the TOTW but figured the company had smartened up. Seems not.

ETA: Make sure you check this recall out carefully. I knew the list of brands in the link above was incomplete because I remember Canidae was an alternative food I was considering and danged if some Canidae food isn't also on the list. Here is another link: http://www.care2.com/causes/pet-food...l-expands.html And another: http://diamondpetrecall.com/canidae/
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Well

Thats terrible news. I hope everyone who uses it is well as are their pets.

Does anyone have any other food brands they might suggest that I can feed her. One with Omega 3 and good for her coat?
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You may want to consider the Orijen line, they are a very good quality food whih I know many that love it.

Cindy

http://orijen.ca/
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Addiction Salmon Bleu is also a good food, for kibble anyway! Here is a link to the website.

http://www.addictionfoods.com/canada...dog_salmon.php

They don't use any ingredients sourced from China and are an Australian based company with a plant in the U.S. (so they have their own dedicated manufacturing plant). I won't use any food made in a Diamond plant which includes Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Natural Balance etc.

The Honest Kitchen is also a great food, but it isn't a kibble, it's a dehydrated food. Both of my boys are on this. It's not only human grade, but "fit for human consumption". It's the only dog food that's FDA approved. It's made in their own dedicated facilty and use no ingredients from China either. Zeal is the fish formula. I use that for one of mine and the other gets the "Preference" which is a dehydrated fruit/veggie mix. You just add your own meat (cooked or raw). They also have both grain and grain free formulas. The grains they use are "good" grains such as oats and barley, so no corn, wheat or soy.

Orijen and Acana are both very good foods, if your pup can handle the protein. A lot of dogs can't. Acana isn't as high in protein, so that many be a good place to start and they have a good fish formula.
Good luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

My dog is doing well on Addiction, I also add grain free canned food to hers, Weruva!