Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM

My chihuahua is overweight, what can I do?

My chi is 8lbs 2 oz. She is 15 months old. I really don't feed her that much, but I have another chi and I think she is eating her food too. I don't know how to keep tham separated since I go to work and have to leave them for hours at a time. They are used to doing everything together,eating, playing & sleeping. I don't want her to have health problems. If I take the food from one the other one suffers. Any suggestions?
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

The last time you asked this, it was suggested to put up a gate to separate them during the day. I still think this is the best idea. That way each can eat their own food.
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Love all creatures

See...I would have to disagree..it all depends on what you mean by tablescraps..I for one, am not a huge dogfood fan..I do feed it, only because I also have a busy schedule..but when I have time, I try to make home cooked meals for my dogs..and freeze it until its breakfast/dinner time for them...

Dog food...no matter how good the brand may be..is still just that..DOG FOOD..but if you can't cook for your dog..that is perfectly understandable..however, I do always suggest that people mix in fresh veggies/occassionally some fruits...cooked meats and even some grains into their dogs diet..so they aren't always constantly on a kibble diet for the rest of their lives..MY GOODNESS could you imagine eating macaroni and cheese for the rest of your life?...That's how your dog feels without a doubt..just like humans..they need variety too..

With that being said, it all depends on what kind of food you feed your dog..I always recommend wellness..or other closely related human grade holistic brands...
solid gold
eagle pack premium
wysong
old mother hubbard
urban wolf
etc..

if your dog is overweight..I would definately keep them apart during meals..like you said, you're busy the whole day..do you have two separate rooms you can put them in until you get home? And put their food dishes in there so that you know exactly who is eating what? For the chubby guy, I would recommend giving them a "lite" version of dog food..most brands do carry this formula..which simply has less fat/caloric content than the other ones in the line. Also, make sure you measure out exactly how much food your dog is getting...alot of people don't really do this..but it is important..because then you know exactly how much you need to take away or add if need be. You can get a small measuring cup from any dollar store..and the measuring directions are on the back of your dog food package...

Avoid feeding regular grocery store brands like IAMS, Pedigree..well..you know the bunch..alot of them are very low quality, and not at all good for your dog...not to mention, most of them contain corn, which is a filler..and tends to put on some extra weight for most dogs..barley, brown rice, oats = good grains.... corn, wheat = bad grains...

Other than that..I guess I also recommend some more exercise..just because their small, it doesn't mean they can sit around the house and do nothing...every dog will become fat and believe it or not, chronically depressed if left with not enough exercise..so take em outside to get some fresh air as much as you can.

Other than that..good luck..keep us updated