Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Britadian

Dog wants the Cat food

I have the cat food and the dog food separately (dogs in bathroom and cats in the kitchen) however Lola wants to eat the cats food and hardly any of her own! I am feeding the dog Taste of the wild and the cat just gets friskies dry food with the occasional PC meat sachet.

How do I stop the dog from eating the cat food apart from repetition "NO". And could I switch the cat to something that they would both benefit from (the cat is 17lb so the LAST thing he needs is extra calories!!
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
-

I have both dogs and cats and there's no way IMO to keep dogs out of the cats food other than to put the cat food out of dog's reach. Is there any other place you can put your cat's plate ?
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM
-

Cat food in my house is fair game for the dogs if it is down when they are in...a NO doesn't cut it, they carry on eating until I pick the bowls up . Iggy is an exception, he is a complete and waits until you pick it up to see if there are any scraps on the floor.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You said the last thing your cat needs is extra calories so how about taking the cat off dry food and try feeding a good quality canned instead? It is much healthier for your kitty and he will love you for it. You can put the plate up high as already stated to keep the pup away from it.
A good site to read is: catinfo.org. You will be amazed at the wealth of information in it.
I would be more concerned about your kitty getting into your dog's food as it does not have the nutrients needed for a cat to thrive. Just my

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM

I have a dog (who is the world's biggest glutton) and I'm getting a kitty in a week. I've heard that this can be a problem, so my solution is that the cat food is going in the cat room (my spare bedroom), which has a gate with a cat door. The cat can go in and out, but Buddy (my dog) can't.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Investigative researcher

I would never expect a dog to learn to leave cat food alone--unless you stand over the cat food all day to protect it!
Having had cats and dogs for 50 yrs-- cat food is always put where the dog cannot reach it--on a high shelf or table in an area the dog doesn't usually go. As in all training, prevention is 100% better than an attempt after the fact to change behavior.
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My cats are fed where the dogs can't get to their food. Up high on a dresser in their room and I have dishes for them on the stairs where the dogs are gated off.

clm
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Britadian

The cat is 17lb and cannot jump anywhere!! he is an indoor cat so is not burning off his energy.
Canned food, way better idea. I buy PC sachets but realize now that these are probably NOT a good quality food so i will read the suggested link.

When I am out the dog is in the bathroom with the puppy gate on so cannot get at anything then, its when we are home. but if I feed the cat just meat (which he prefers anyway) I can put it down, let him eat, then remove.

thanks for all the advice
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Investigative researcher

Canned food will help him lose weight--if you do not feed too much especially, and it is much better to feed cats wet rather than dry as they do not drink enough water when eating dry--potentially causing kidney etc. issues.

However--I cannot see a cat starving himself if the food is up on a table or on the other side of a baby gate. The exercise of getting to it is a plus!
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The cat is 17lb and cannot jump anywhere!! he is an indoor cat so is not burning off his energy.
That's not an excuse for him being overweight. If he's not burning the calories he needs to be fed less.

All (11) of my cats are indoors and none of them are overweight. I have actually never had an overweight cat because I don't overfeed.
Unless there is some health problem he shouldn't be overweight unless he's being overfed.
Wet food is definitely better than dry, but no matter what you feed you are going to have to feed the correct amount or else he will still be overweight.

As far as the dogs wanting the cat food, the best thing is just to keep the cat food away from the dogs. It needs to be sealed and in a room or closet locked away from the dogs. I even keep my dog food sealed and in another room because the dogs will get into their own food and eat too much.
While the cat is eating you should be feeding him somewhere the dogs can't get to his food.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Britadian

The Cat is half Main Coon. The vet keeps telling me is overweight at 17lb but I do not think he is. main coon can get up to 35lb as pure breeds. he is solid.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-ET View Post
The Cat is half Main Coon. The vet keeps telling me is overweight at 17lb but I do not think he is. main coon can get up to 35lb as pure breeds. he is solid.
How does he rate on the body condition score? My guess is that if your vet is saying he's overweight, then he is. Either way, it would absolutely be a good idea to ditch the dry, which is horrible for cats for so many reasons.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-ET View Post
They CAN, but they don't all. Your vet is rating your cat by body condition, not breed. If your vet says he's overweight he most likely is.

You already said he can't jump that well. A 35 lb cat that's not overweight can jump just fine. If your cat has trouble jumping he is probably overweight.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Britadian

Yes definitely going to ditch the dry and go for a good quality canned. here is taiji
Attached Images

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww. What a pretty kitty.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM

I have both a cat and a dog, and if my cat eats anything downstairs, the dog gets it.

However, I have the ideal situation whereas my dog doesn't go upstairs, so the cat food stays up there.

The only time the dog goes upstairs is for a bath or out on the balcony. He never touches the food there.