Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 9th, 2020, 08:10 PM

Dog adoption (old member)

Hello,

I used to be part of this community about 10 years ago, looks like its not as busy as it once was but maybe I can still find some info here.

Our 13 year old GSD Jermy, has sadly passed away. We are looking for a dog to join our family but looks like now a days its not so simple.

I was hoping to adopt a rescue but any time i find a dog that fits us (3 and under, good with kids, cats and dogs, shorthair) there are so many people that apply that we get either no response or a try again another time kind of response.

I contacted several reputable breeders and even they didnt even bother to answer as they have 1-2 year waiting lists (some even closed waiting lists) and the prices have just skyrocketed.

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Our home has a void, but i refuse to support puppy mills and i want to make sure the dog will be the right fit for us....

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old November 9th, 2020, 11:59 PM

Hello Masha.........

It says you are in Toronto, but it's a big city.

I gather that breed isn't your top priority.......have you considered looking outside the city? There are lots of Pet Rescue places out there, but Toronto might not be the best place to be looking......at least not with the virus out there.....Seems to be quite a demand for pets.

We could suggest places like Lindsay or Peterborough, or even farther north like Burk's Falls, North Bay......they all have animal shelters I'm sure that would have rescue pets for adoption.

There are a few in the Thunder Bay area but that could be a tad far out for you. There's also Sudbury.

Perhaps if you "Google" it or "Duck Duck Go" it, you might have some success.

Keep us posted to let us know if you find something good for your family. By the way, we also have contacts in New Liskeard, if that's not too far away either.
Old November 10th, 2020, 11:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We applied to be fosters/adopters with an established rescue, just to get on their books and get the preapproval. Then it was just a matter of finding a dog that fit the family. There was still a little competition, but it was a lot easier, and a much shorter wait when the perfect dog came along. Plus, many established rescues have transport networks, so you're not limited just to dogs in your immediate area. So that might be a good strategy for you, too.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 3rd, 2021, 10:54 AM

I was also thinking of adopting a dog, but then the pandemic broke out and the plans were canceled. Recently I started thinking about this aspect and I still don't know what to choose between victorian bulldog vs english bulldog and I was lucky to find a site with all the similarities and differences that are between these two dog breeds. Anyway, I think next week I will have to decide because I want to go buy a bulldog and so far I think the English bulldog is exactly what I need and can't wait to do it.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; June 3rd, 2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: No promotional links, pls
Old July 26th, 2021, 11:47 PM
banned user

yes, please adopt and rescue a dog because lot of them were euthanized if they didn't find an owner