Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Jealousy Amongst Dogs

I read the archives and couldnt find any questiosn with a problem just like mine. Im not to sure if this is considered a health problem as it is more of a behaviour issue.

I have a 1 yeard old yorkie X female named Bailey. We just brought in a new addition to our home, a 7 week old Yorkie X male, king. Bailey has changed completely. She is not showing any agression but is scared of the little one and wont even go near him. That isnt my biggest concern at this time. Previously Bailey was well trained, friendly, and playful. All of this has stopped. She will not listen to me..does not respond to treats, or toys. I am trying to give her extra private time with me but when i do she just wants to run away from me or go sit on the other side of the room. I tried positive reinforcement when the other dog is around but like i said she is unrepsonsive to treats. Im at my wits end. This is my little baby! But i really dont want to get rid of the new pup either, i brought him home hoping to give her a new friend or another dog to socialize with.

If you have any suggestions, anything would help at this point!

Thanks so much.
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Garden nut

Walk them together as a "pack."
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Walk them together as a "pack."
I second that, leash them, and walk them together, try one on each side for the first 15 minutes, then place them both on the same side. This creates a pack, which will create acceptance. And ensure you are treating them both equal, fed at the same time, expect the exact same behavior of both of them, keeping in mind one's a pup and will be learning, and the older dog can be a great teaching tool IF you already have control over the older one, if not, they can both use the training. Don't treat them like one was there first so they have the right to be the boss of the other. Do you best to make them equal. Taking them to a socail place together will help too, like day care or to a safe offleash place, or to a friends house.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks im definately going to try what both suggested. Its unfortunate winter is comming and being from saskatchewan they can get cold and the walks arent to long anymore. But sounds like great advice! Keep it comming if anyone has anymore ..i can use all the help i can get haha!
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Jealousy

Bailey needs time to adjust to the new pup. I have found Yorkies to be very sensitive about sharing their people and not overly enthusiastic making up with new dogs but in time she'll see the advantages of having someone to play with and boss around.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
-

Well, I'm going to give you completely different advice...

Your dog is overwhelmed by the puppiness of the puppy. He smells funny, he's crazy with energy and he's just too darn over-enthusiastic about everything.

I suggest creating a playpen or a playpen-like area for him in your main living area. This allows your dog-who-knows they-are-already-a-member-of-the-family to study him, smell him and figure out what-the-heck-he's-all-about without having to interact with him.

Right now your dog has no idea what happened. Are they still a member of the pack? Are they as important? What's their standing in the ranking of the family?

Your dog is feeling a little lost and is grieving what happened to their life as they knew it. Turn back the clock and put the puppy in a play pen.

After a week or so, your dog will readjust her understanding of her primary place in your family and the puppy can be let out for a limited romp time with her in the room (at other times, you can schedule walks with her to conincide with romp time in the livingroom with him).

Don't be surprized if she puts him in his place but do watch for unnecessary or unwarranted aggresion.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Mx3 does have more then one dog in her pack, speaking from experience I would assume, I would certainly try her way if that sounds more managable on your end.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)