Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Question Thinking of adopting a dog

My husband and I both love dogs, but we don't have a lot experience with training. We have a cat, and a 4 year old son. I'm a stay at home mom, so time isn't an issue, we have a nice sized fenced in back yard, and there are a couple parks nearby.

I'm wondering what things we should consider before getting a dog. Are there any good resources I could read through? (it's the internet, so I'm sure there are but searches... well, I guess there is just too much to sort through) Also, I'm living in Ontario, CA now, but I used to be from Georgia, so I have no idea about dogs in winter. How to get them exercise when its so cold, dealing with snow and the like.

My husband likes german shepherds, and I like Labs, and I found this adorable 6 month old mix on a local pet rescue website.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone living in the Durham region of Ontario. =)
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescues will help you find a suitable dog that fits your lifestyle and also will advise you on the temperment of the dogs in their care.
It is great to love certain breeds but please study up on them before deciding what is suitable for you and your family. Go beyond looks and gravitate towards their needs and ask yourself if you can fulfill their requirements.
Also consider adopting an older dog rather than a pup. They will come to you already housetrained with minor fine tuning for other behaviours.
I personally started with a 10 year old dog and I learnt so much through him.
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

you may consider calling your local shelter and seeing if they have a dog walking program, that way your son could get use to being near dogs and you could check out different breeds/mixes. I own a lab/shepherd mix and she is a wonderful dog with my daycare, I followed our trainers instuctions to a "t" in learning how to get her to tolerate children. Obedience classes are also great once you've aquired your pup, it will be good for you and your son.
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Ben,
Thanks for the advice. Personally, my love for labs isn't so much about appearance but their temperment, as you suggested. We had a few of them growing up and they are such wonderful animals. One in particular, I grew up with. She was like the family protector. I'm not sure my husband's reasoning for liking shepherds, I guess I'll have to ask him about that one. I had originally been looking at adult dogs, 1-2 years old, but my husband thought getting a puppy would be a good idea so it could get used to our son at an early age. I'll need solid research to convince him one way or another. =)

Melinda,
I'll look into your suggestion about the dog walking. =) Thanks. Also, obedience classes are a great idea, do you think they have those for toddlers too? >.>
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM

I have to second the vote on getting an older dog rather than a younger one. Friends of ours just adopted a 5 year old lab/dane mix - best decision ever given they have 2 young children (ages 3 and 5). This dog was already proven to be good with kids and had a calm temperament. The rescue organization worked with them to find that perfect match.

Good luck!
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
Ben,
Thanks for the advice. Personally, my love for labs isn't so much about appearance but their temperment, as you suggested. We had a few of them growing up and they are such wonderful animals. One in particular, I grew up with. She was like the family protector. I'm not sure my husband's reasoning for liking shepherds, I guess I'll have to ask him about that one. I had originally been looking at adult dogs, 1-2 years old, but my husband thought getting a puppy would be a good idea so it could get used to our son at an early age. I'll need solid research to convince him one way or another. =)

Melinda,
I'll look into your suggestion about the dog walking. =) Thanks. Also, obedience classes are a great idea, do you think they have those for toddlers too? >.>
Explain to him that having a puppy with small children is never really recommended. In essence you are bringing up 2 small children at the same time..except one chews and puppy bites...alot. Not to mention house training, leash training and obedience training. That is a tall order.

When I started out in rescue, I adopted only adult dogs. I as well had a small child and it was way too much for me to have a puppy in the mix. Not to mention I actually do have quite a bit of experience with dogs...yet would never have a puppy other than foster pups.

Rescue groups are your best bet as they know their dogs very well as these dogs are currently in foster homes. The foster families have an inside view on what is required.

Older dogs ROCK! They are forever grateful and the transition is very easy.
Best of luck to you. I sincerely hope that you do infact get an older dog.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:36 AM

A lot of rescues will not adopt puppies to families with small children due to the likelihood of an overexuberant puppy knocking over a child, teething on the child, etc. Also, as mentioned, you could adopt an adult (or adolescent dog) that will be housetrained and already have some manners.
I adopted my boy at 14mos (Lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix) and he is AMAZING with children. A rescue will match you up with an appropriate dog that will be child tested already.
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
Senior Contributor

the trainer I use actually asks that you bring any children over the age of 3 to classes with you, she works with them also, I enjoy helping others train their pups, and my daycare loves having pups come to visit, all my dogs were raised with kids, *L* Kinda had no choice, I run a daycare and always have 5 under the age of 4 in my home daily.
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I am totally with Benmax here older dogs are the easiest to transition and are so happy to be in a loving home. No chewing on your child and older dogs put up with a lot more from kids especially when they are kid friendly. Rescues will do there best to find the right dog for your family they also want a perfect fit. Everyone wins that way. You get a great companion, the dog gets a great home, and the rescue can save another life.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:34 AM

Have to agree with all the other points people have made here,Great advice.As for GSD or Lab all I can say is and I am not knocking Labs but I have met some who can be nasty and I have 2 rescue shepherds both who are fine with kids.You have to remember that at the end of the day these are animals and when around children you watch all interactions.Even some grown up folk dont fully understand that any dog will turn for a certain reason.I am sure if you go to a rscue centre and meet dogs they will find you a great match because they do this all the time.
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM

I second the suggestion of getting an older dog (at least 3 years old so they are well out of the 'pup/teenage dog stage')

I would not recommend a sheppard as a first time dog, unless a rescue has confirmed that a specific sheppard fits your family. Of course there are variations in temprament across the same breed, but in my experience sheppards are more demanding in their training and exercise needs - if you slack on either, you may have issues.

If you get in touch with some rescues (try some non breed specific rescues), they can help match you with the right dog. When a dog is in foster care, the foster parents get a glimpse into the personality and temprament of the dog and can match you with one that fits your family -- i think this is the best way to go as you cannot rely on the breed of a dog to determine their temprament.

good luck and thank you for consider a rescue!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."