Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Thank you Chico!! You guys are all so awesome

Thank you 14+!!

It's funny that you should mention that rainbow...
I was online looking at the possible side effects when I noticed that everything (and every website) I was reading said the same thing:
Should not be given to dogs who are prone to seizures
I immediately called Dr. Marsden (Karen) and told her my concerns. She put me on hold and then came back and said the other vet must have had a lapse in judgement or just made an error because Nookie should not be on Baytril. She said it can cause joint problems as well as seizures and restlessness and should only be used as a "big gun" when there is no other alternative. So she has told me to stop giving it to him and is calling in a different antibiotic to Costco for me to pick up tonight. And vets wonder why people always complain about the cost!! I paid $40 for a 1 week supply of something that could cause serious damage to my baby! What a waste...

Thank you so much LP, it's very appreciated
I have spoken with both Dr. Marsdens (Mr and Mrs) today. They said as long as he has some energy he should be fine until Friday. They both think it's the Baytril that has killed his appetite. Dr. Steve said that if he doesn't have a bowel movement today then we need to go in for x-rays tomorrow. He told me to fry some burger because the flavor might be more appealing and to steep some grated ginger (make tea out of it) and give him 1 tbsp every 15 minutes for a total of 4-5 tbsp then offer him food. If he isn't eating after trying fried burger and ginger tea and gets more lethargic, I will take him in tomorrow
I would be suggesting to the vets that they pay for the medication change and any tests that need to be done as a result of giving him this med. Poor guy, he doesn't need this extra setback.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
I would be suggesting to the vets that they pay for the medication change and any tests that need to be done as a result of giving him this med. Poor guy, he doesn't need this extra setback.
Exactly ....it was their mistake and they should absorb the costs.
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

It wasn't Dr. Marsdens clinic, it was our regular vet clinic (the holisitc clinic isn't open on the weekends). I'm thinking Nookie needs a blood test as well. It says that it can cause high liver enzymes... what he threw up this morning was bright yellow bile (made him cough and choke for about 10 minutes after). As sick as he's been, he has never thrown up bile like that. I will definitely be calling our regular clinic and telling them to put a credit on my account for the Baytril. If they give me a hard time over it, they won't like my "in person" response when I'm off on Friday

And yes, he doesn't need this set-back. Poor little monster has a hard enough time trying to get through life without people giving him the wrong medications

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I went home and looked at the receipt last night. I actually paid $60 for 1 week of Baytril
So I will definitely be calling them today for a refund. Monster is now on a different antibiotic. I got home last night and he was back to normal

He had a HUGE appetite, was very playful and very happy to see mommy and daddy
I'm pretty sure that his loss of appetite and general illness was caused by the Baytril now

But all the matters is he is back to his sweet, goofy, puppy self!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear he is back to normal.

Although Baytril may be a good antibiotic, it has to be used with caution on both cats and dogs.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Glad to hear he is back to normal.

Although Baytril may be a good antibiotic, it has to be used with caution on both cats and dogs.
And moreso in cats/dogs that are prone to seizures. I can't believe they would even think to give him that

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
-

After all that poor Nookie has been through I can't believe it either.

Sure glad that he has bounced right back now that he is on a differenent antibiotic and hope that no damage was done due to the Baytril being prescibed.
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad he's feeling better again. We've used Baytril successfully in the past, but it is really hard on the dogs' tummies.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Glad he's feeling better again. We've used Baytril successfully in the past, but it is really hard on the dogs' tummies.
We have with Thorin and didn't have any issues. I am just really surprised that they would have given it to Nookie with his history of seizures. Well, more than surprised... I was very angry. I just wish we could find a decent place to take him to on the weekends when Dr. Marsden is closed.

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what a roller-coaster you have been on,but I am glad he's doing betterlittle Nookie will do fine from now on,but I suppose you take it one day at a time
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Gosh, I just read through all of these recent posts. You guys can't seem to get a break

Timber was on Baytril for almost 10 days (that was when they were suspecting some rare strain of e-coli) and it caused her to have diarrhea. I also heard that it can do damage to ligament or tendons so glad that they have switched Nanook from it now.
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
Gosh, I just read through all of these recent posts. You guys can't seem to get a break

Timber was on Baytril for almost 10 days (that was when they were suspecting some rare strain of e-coli) and it caused her to have diarrhea. I also heard that it can do damage to ligament or tendons so glad that they have switched Nanook from it now.
Yes, it is very bad for the joints and cartiledge. Dr. Marsden was extremely surprised that they chose Baytril for him, she was upset. He already has severe joint/muscle/ligament damage and siezures... the 2 main cautions when prescribing

Now if Baytril was the only choice, then I could see maybe the benefit outweighing the risk. But at this point we don't even have the results of the culture/sensitivity back yet.

How is Timber today?

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
-

Did you get your refund back from the vet that prescibed it?
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Oh good! I am so glad to hear that he is back to his normal self! You really didn't need that added stress.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Yes, it is very bad for the joints and cartiledge. Dr. Marsden was extremely surprised that they chose Baytril for him, she was upset. He already has severe joint/muscle/ligament damage and siezures... the 2 main cautions when prescribing

Now if Baytril was the only choice, then I could see maybe the benefit outweighing the risk. But at this point we don't even have the results of the culture/sensitivity back yet.

How is Timber today?
Timber is doing well. You wouldn't believe how much fur I combed out yesterday and I also decided to give her a bath because there was so much dry skin. I am paying close attention after what you said about the thyroid. It appears that there are new guard hairs coming in under everything I've been combing out so hopefully it is just a seasonal blowing of her coat. It is supposed to get mild here for the next week so maybe she is just in an early spring shedding phase.

Her back legs tremble a lot on walks and even when she is lying down at home. Not sure if that is from her previous spinal arthritis or what is going on. Because she was so sick there may also be some residual effects from the anaplasmosis according to the California Dr. who studies tick diseases.

Thanks for asking considering you are having all these extra problems with your guy. I'm sorry I have no advice on the eye problem. I looked at the pictures of Nanook you posted and it looks so irritated. I hope the drops get it under control.

Have a good weekend!
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Canine Hyperesthesia?

Ok, Nookie and Thorin both had a follow-up with Dr. Marsden today. Thorin is doing GREAT!! He goes for his second dose of chemo tonight

We have been telling ALL the vets we see about Nookie chewing/biting/chasing his tail just prior to having seizures. Our family vet has seen it and thought it was (and still may be, who knows ) focal seizures. Nookie has been doing it a lot again lately. Dr. Marsden was doing some acupuncture on him close to the base of his tail and Nookie just freaked out! He screamed and tried to bite him (not in a vicious way, but you could tell it hurt him). So Dr. Marsden started feeling around and it was very obvious that Nookie was very upset. He started growling at his tail, biting it and then started biting his hind feet (he has chewed the hind left paw raw). We thought the biting/chewing was allergy related, but now Dr. Marsden is almost certain that Nookie has Hyperesthesia. I looked it up and all the sypmtoms fit! The pacing/whining/seizures from noise/being "angry" with his tail... all of it!! I am so torn. I don't know whether to be happy or sad lol
I certainly hope this is what is causing the seziures, and not epilepsy. Wouldn't that be wonderful to finally "know" what's wrong with him? Dr. Marsden said it can be treated, so we are very hopeful
We are still waiting for the thyroid panel to come back, so maybe once we up his meds and get the new herbs into his system for the Hyperesthesia, we may have a happier little guy!

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,I am so glad Thorin is handling the Chemo well,hopefully his cancer will be gone and little Nookie I you'll get some definet answers as to what is wrong with him
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Robyn,I am so glad Thorin is handling the Chemo well,hopefully his cancer will be gone and little Nookie I you'll get some definet answers as to what is wrong with him
Thank you chico
Me too! I was actually quite excited when I started reading everything
I know if it is Hyperesthesia instead of Epilepsy that we are just "trading" one disease for another, but at least it will be a definite diagnosis
He has started just howling, for no apparent reason. From what I can read, it seems to be the same as the yowling in cats that have it, so it does explain a lot of things. And it also causes seizures due to sensory overload... it just makes sense now!

Old June 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the new herbs do the trick for Nookie! Does Hyperesthesia just develop on its own, or would this be a consequence of the meningitis he had?

Glad to hear that Thorin is doing well and tolerating the chemo well! You're doing such a good job with both of them, Robyn!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I hope the new herbs do the trick for Nookie! Does Hyperesthesia just develop on its own, or would this be a consequence of the meningitis he had?

Glad to hear that Thorin is doing well and tolerating the chemo well! You're doing such a good job with both of them, Robyn!
Thank you, Hazel!!
But it isn't us that's doing the good job, it's the vets
I spoke with our regular vet also. She said if it "is" Hyperesthesia, then it would have to be stemming from something. She said it's possible it's a pinched nerve in his spine and said we can bring him in for a physio treatment to see if she can locate it, then try to open it up. But from what I've read now, it can be caused from a lot of things such as brain lesions/tumors/damage etc. One thing I was thinking is just what you said, from the Menigoencephalitis. They already think he has brain damage from it (and hubby and I are quite certain they're correct ). I know it doesn't just happen for no reason, so now the trick will be to try and find out why. Once we recover a little financially, I'm thinking of taking him down to the place I took Thorin in Washington. They have a wonderful neurology dept. and let him go through the whole diagnostic session which includes an MRI. It's $1800, but that also gives us access to the neurologists and a full day evaluation. But for now, we'll try the new herbs and hopefully will see an improvement. Our regualr vet still thinks the main cause of the tail biting/seizures is his Thyroid.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Senior Contributor

If you're into experimenting, would be curious what a round of doxycycline would do. It's a cheap experiment too....

When my girl was so sick, she was very sensitive if anyone came within about 5 inches of her. I used to tell her chiropractor that it hurt her just to touch her aura She was my vaccine damaged girl, and this was when she was very young.

I initially treated her with supplements, chiro, and homeopathy. Later in life, we did use antibiotics on her and it made a huge difference. Her vet and I then debated for the next 7 or 8 years whether she really had an infection, or it was just the action of the antibiotic. She did have to go on antibiotics intermittently throughout her life.

I am so glad to hear that Thorin is doing so well
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Dr. Dodds

I am hoping this old thread will be read. I am wondering about the success of Dr. Dodds' vaccinosis protocol. Nookie's case seemed severe. My 18 week puppy has a severe thing going on that Dr. Dodds thinks is vaccinosis. We started the protocol only to have my puppy relapse as he was being tapered off the prednisone. We just upped the prednisone again and will be trying tapering later on....
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesBay View Post
I am hoping this old thread will be read. I am wondering about the success of Dr. Dodds' vaccinosis protocol. Nookie's case seemed severe. My 18 week puppy has a severe thing going on that Dr. Dodds thinks is vaccinosis. We started the protocol only to have my puppy relapse as he was being tapered off the prednisone. We just upped the prednisone again and will be trying tapering later on....
Hi ChucklesBay, and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. Although the thread is old, I'm still around

Dr. Dodds had diagnosed Nookie with Vaccinosis just from his medical records and had referred us to a holistic vet named Steve Marsden. He's located in Edmonton, AB and I can't say enough wonderful things about him. We didn't actually follow the Vaccinosis protocol. Dr. Steve is very experienced and travels to lecture and teach along with Dr. Dodds. He felt that there was definitely vaccinosis, but it had been too long since the vaccines to start the protocol/detox. Dr. Steve practices TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), Homeopathy and is a human and animal Naturopath. I was extremely skeptical, thinking if medicine couldn't help Nookie (and was, in fact, killing him), how could anything help? But it did. Nookie was about 8 months old by the time we got to Dr. Steve and everyone had told us we wouldn't have him much longer, that he wasn't going to see his first birthday. Our sweet baby turned 3 on Feb. 26

He still has many issues, and always will, includng grand mal seizures. But for the most part, he is a happy boy, and much more "normal" than we ever thought possible. So there is definitely hope! What are some of the symptoms/issues your pup is having? And as for the relapse, Nookie had several relapses when tapering the Pred off. I won't really go in to much detail right now, but if you respond, and would like more info, or would like to chat, let me know. I'll be sure and check back. Until then, good luck to you all and give your sweet baby a gentle hug for me

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Hi!

I live in California. I was just surfing the internet for a really bad vaccinosis/Dr. Dodds story and I tripped over your story.

We bought Baxter, who is a mixed breed (dad is Shih Tzu and mom is a Maltese Mix) when he was 10 weeks old. He was doing really well until his 12 week vaccine! The day he received it he vomited four times and could not be touched without wimpering. Three days later, he had a Grand Mal Seizure when I was over a friend's house. I ran him to my friend's vet who happens to be an Integrated Vet (this part ended up working out well). The next day, Baxter had 2 more seizures and we ran him to the doggy ER. He was placed on Keppra. Two weeks later, I changed to a liquid form of Keppra and got sloppy with the administration (because it was a liquid that Baxter did not like)--and, he grew. He had two more seizures and we ran him back to the ER. He was due for a Titer Test the upcoming week. His Keppra dose was increased and we went back to the pill.

At this time, I spoke to someone who told me to contact Dr. Dodds with Baxter's story.

By the way, Baxter does not have a liver shunt or hypoglycemia (checked). We have NOT gotten him an MRI or Spinal Tap because those tests are extremely expensive and normally come with a bad prognosis.

We started Baxter on Dr. Dodds' vaccinosis protocol. All was well until we started tapering the Prednisone. Baxter went into seizure on the third day of tapering. I wrote to Dr. Dodds who told me it still can be vaccinosis. Baxter's neurologist is suspicious of an underlying disease. Baxter's new vet (my friend's vet). No matter what, all the vets think that Baxter needs to go back on the full Prednisone dose and deal with tapering later.

After 7-8 seizures (loosing count)...I can see that Baxter gets hyper a day before a seizure. He can be slightly aggressive during this period. Other than that, Baxter's personality is rather normal for a puppy!!!!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hi!

I live in California. I was just surfing the internet for a really bad vaccinosis/Dr. Dodds story and I tripped over your story.

We bought Baxter, who is a mixed breed (dad is Shih Tzu and mom is a Maltese Mix) when he was 10 weeks old. He was doing really well until his 12 week vaccine! The day he received it he vomited four times and could not be touched without wimpering. Three days later, he had a Grand Mal Seizure when I was over a friend's house. I ran him to my friend's vet who happens to be an Integrated Vet (this part ended up working out well). The next day, Baxter had 2 more seizures and we ran him to the doggy ER. He was placed on Keppra. Two weeks later, I changed to a liquid form of Keppra and got sloppy with the administration (because it was a liquid that Baxter did not like)--and, he grew. He had two more seizures and we ran him back to the ER. He was due for a Titer Test the upcoming week. His Keppra dose was increased and we went back to the pill.

At this time, I spoke to someone who told me to contact Dr. Dodds with Baxter's story.

By the way, Baxter does not have a liver shunt or hypoglycemia (checked). We have NOT gotten him an MRI or Spinal Tap because those tests are extremely expensive and normally come with a bad prognosis.

We started Baxter on Dr. Dodds' vaccinosis protocol. All was well until we started tapering the Prednisone. Baxter went into seizure on the third day of tapering. I wrote to Dr. Dodds who told me it still can be vaccinosis. Baxter's neurologist is suspicious of an underlying disease. Baxter's new vet (my friend's vet). No matter what, all the vets think that Baxter needs to go back on the full Prednisone dose and deal with tapering later.

After 7-8 seizures (loosing count)...I can see that Baxter gets hyper a day before a seizure. He can be slightly aggressive during this period. Other than that, Baxter's personality is rather normal for a puppy!!!!

I'm glad to see you came back

You're little guys story sounds a lot like Nookies when he was a baby. He was close to 12 weeks when he had his first grand mal, and it was shortly after receiving his second set of vaccines. We knew he was sick when we got him (and that's one reason we got him, he needed some TLC), but we didn't realize how bad it was. This is the link to his facebook page. It has his story and all the issues, tests and treatments we have been through. The page is public, so you shouldn't need an account to view it:

http://www.facebook.com/nanookthemiraclemalamute

One thing I will say is that it has not been cheap. To date, his treatment has cost us more than $35,000. His first diagnoses came from a CSF tap (spinal tap) and consisted of sterile meningitis, encephalitis and possible Neospora infection, though I think the Neospora was an incorrect diagnoses. He was also diagnosed by an internal specialist as having Idiopathic Eosiniphilic Syndrome, which I also believe was just a very good educated guess. From what I could find on the internet regarding that disorder, there were only 10 documented cases worldwide up to the point of the last study done in 2004.

It was Dr. Dodds diagnoses of Vaccinosis that seemed to fit. He was already on Prednisone at that point for the Meningoencephalitis along with Phenobarbital and a chemo drug called Azathioprine to suppress his immune system even further. Every time we tried to taper the Pred down, the seizures would flare. So the Azathioprine was added so the Pred could be reduced. It was working, but the problem was that it was also killing him. He had severe issues with his liver and he ended up with internal bleeding and had to have a blood transfusion. That's when we were put in touch with Dr. Dodds and Dr. Steve Marsden. Dr. Steve is also a DVM as well as all the natural designations, so he knows his stuff... both western medicine and holistic/chinese. He weaned Nookie off all the meds, including the phenobarbital and got the inflammation in his brain reduced with Chinese herbs as well as giving his immune system a boost. He also got the seizures under control with Chinese herbs and homeopathic pellets. I don't know if you can afford to see a holistic vet, but if you can, I'd highly recommend it. I'm sure Dr. Dodds can put you in touch with someone who knows their stuff. I wouldn't go to just anyone though, there are a lot of bad ones out there just like regular vets. If you can't afford it, that's ok... just do what you can

A couple of tips though... diet is crucial when trying to keep seizures at bay. Most vets will push the prescription diets, which are garbage. You want as natural a diet as possible. If you can home cook, wonderful! If not, there are commercial diets that are pretty good. And for as small as your guy is, it shouldn't be too expensive. What we feed is NRG Maxim. It's a dehydrated raw and has no added supplements, nothing artificial. It's a real, whole food diet, and the only one I know of where all the nutrition comes from the food itself, which is why there are no added vitamins/minerals. The meat is free range and antibiotic/hormone free and the veggies are non GMO and locally sourced (as well as the meats). This is a link to it:

http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/

I would avoid a raw diet until you know what's going on. If you're guy is having an immune-mediated response, the bacteria and parasites in raw can be harmful. Talk to your vet about it. You also want to use filtered water if possible, and avoid any foods/treats with Rosemary. And this one is very important... NO vaccines. The mistake we made with Nookie is not doing enough research and being ignorant to what was happening with him. He seemed to be getting better, good length in between the seizures and all was going well, until our vet had us bring him in for his 6 month shots. She gave him all the shots, including the rabies on the same day. It sparked everything up again, he had a horrible seizure the next day and we had to cancel our vacation and start all over again with the high doses of Pred. I wish I had known then what I know now. You never give all the vaccines at the same time. The rabies, if given at all, should be given at least 2 weeks apart from the others. But if you have a dog prone to seizures, you shouldn't vaccinate at all. Ok, I hope I haven't overwhelmed you! If I have confused you at all, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. If you have questions about anything at all, please feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to share any info I have obtained on our "journey" with Nookie. I also use Facebook daily, so if you would like to add me, let know know and I'll post my link. I also have some links to dog seizures sites, so if you would like them, let me know. Take care and good luck to you all!

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Hummm....well, since the vaccine that seemed to push Baxter over the edge, we have spent quite a bit of money and, we don't have pet insurance.

I want to reread your post then go to your Facebook link and study it closely. You may hit with some questions. Nookie's case sounds eerily similar to Baxter's case except Baxter looked really healthy the day I brought him home. He is the runt of the litter, though....

Baxter is on an all-turkey diet. It is canned but it is turkey and healthy. I will write more later

Thank you!!!!
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a couple more things. There are certain medications you should avoid also, and you would be surprised at the amount of vets that don't know them. A lot of vets have never had to deal with issues like the ones we are going through. A couple of the drugs to avoid are any flea/tick medications and certain antibiotics like Baytril and any others in the fluoroquinolone "family". Some antibiotics can actually cause seizures, while others just lower the seizure threshold. Also, Convenia is one to avoid whether there is already seizure activity or not. It's caused many deaths in both dogs and cats. It's a shot that a lot of vets swear by for a few reasons such as not having to "pill" the pet, not causing the tummy upset and long lasting, which is also the problem. It's an injection that stays in the bloodstream for over 60 days. If the animal has a reaction, there is nothing to counter it and they can die. The only treatment is to treat the symptoms and hope the pet will recover. It's bad news. Ok, done!

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hummm....well, since the vaccine that seemed to push Baxter over the edge, we have spent quite a bit of money and, we don't have pet insurance.

I want to reread your post then go to your Facebook link and study it closely. You may hit with some questions. Nookie's case sounds eerily similar to Baxter's case except Baxter looked really healthy the day I brought him home. He is the runt of the litter, though....

Baxter is on an all-turkey diet. It is canned but it is turkey and healthy. I will write more later

Thank you!!!!
I can relate! Sadly, we didn't have pet insurance either. We were in the process of getting it when Nookie had his first seizure. As for "looking" healthy, Nookie did too. He was filthy, and had diarrhea (he was full of parasites), but otherwise, seemingly healthy until that first grand mal. This is a picture of him a few days after we got him:
Attached Images

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe that the best way to addres vaccinosis is through homeopathy. My dog had severe vaccinosis from her vaccines, and cornell diagnosed her with an immune complex disease from her lyme vaccine. I could not have gotten her reasonably well without the help of a good homeopathic vet, and a lot of work and care. The vet I used is near santa Rosa sebastopol, not sure what area you are in, or if you're willing to work with an "out there" modality.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
I believe that the best way to addres vaccinosis is through homeopathy. My dog had severe vaccinosis from her vaccines, and cornell diagnosed her with an immune complex disease from her lyme vaccine. I could not have gotten her reasonably well without the help of a good homeopathic vet, and a lot of work and care. The vet I used is near santa Rosa sebastopol, not sure what area you are in, or if you're willing to work with an "out there" modality.

I couldn't agree more. That's the only thing that saved Nookies life. The "meds" help keep some of the seizures at bay because it reduced the swelling in his brain, but was also killing him in other ways. It was only after he came off all the drugs, started on herbs and homeopathics that he actually started to live. And for someone like me (at least back then), it was a huge leap of faith. I wasn't a believer at all. Now, after seeing the miracles for Nookie, I have started seeing Dr. Steve for myself as well. My puppy and I have the same Dr.