Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:34 PM

shaking and panting

I have a 10 year old yorkie/poodle twice in the last six weeks she has been perfectly normal then all of a sudden she starts shaking rapidly and panting heavily and just wants to be held. This happened last night and lasted about 2-3 hours. Everytime I tried to put her down she just clung onto me like she was spooked. She weighs between 3 and 4 pounds and has had no health issues so far. When I got up this morning she came up from downstairs and was perfectly fine. Is this a heart issue, anxiety, or low blood sugar?
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM

When was the last time she had a vet check, including full blood panel done?
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM

She goes yearly for her shots and checkup. The night before last, she was in the family room downstairs on the couch with me and all of a sudden she just bolted off the couch and ran upstairs, it was like something spooked her bad or she was bitten (which is not the case) and like I said it happened only once before about 6 weeks ago. And then again last night.
Old October 30th, 2014, 03:18 PM

A lot can change within a year, especially as our pets get older and hit their senior years. I would take her in now for a full check up and have blood work done to rule out anything medical at this point. If that shows clean, she could be showing some signs of dementia perhaps?
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Epilepsy? Some other seizure disorder? I, thank heavens, have no experience with those things but I do know many can be controlled with meds. It would help your Vet if you could video her when she is in one of those episodes. It sounds like it really distresses her.
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

She should not have any shots now, because she is not well. Additionally, the viruses in the parvo and distemper shot now are probably protected from for the rest of her life. She shouldn't have her rabies either, but I don't know your local law (which may be different than the protocol your vet uses).

I agree that I definitely would want a full blood panel. Lots of things could be going on! I agree about a seizure perhaps, but it also could be a pain response from something like pancreatitis, or other things.

Best of luck tracking this down.