Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM

Need suggestions for grain free food

My cats have been eating grain free canned food since February. I have fed them Nature's Variety Instinct, Core, Wellness, Evo, Merrick, and Best Feline Friend.

They are really really tired of Instinct, Core, and Wellness. They hate Evo. I thought they liked Merrick because they gobbled up the cans I bought to try. But, of course when I go back and buy a case each of 3 different flavors ($115 worth)--they immediately decide they don't like it.

Tonight I bought a can of Best Feline Friend brand. It was Tuna and Pumpkin. The kitties loved it. The store had several flavors but they are all tuna based. I try to keep fish to a minimum. But they do really like it. Also, I do not know where this food is manufactured. I suspect that it is made in Thailand. I try to only buy pet food made in US or Canada. The store where I bought this food had several brands of "premium" grain free food but most stated right on the can that they were made in Thailand.

I also bought a can of Dave's Naturally Healthy Canned Cat Food. I have not given that to them yet. Again I was nervous because it didn't say where it was manufactured but I checked their website and it is made in USA.

Is anyone familiar with Best Feline Friend or Dave's? Or do you have any other brand recommendations for me? Also, is Solid Gold a good food?

One of my kitties is sick and I want to give her a good quality food that she really enjoys eating.
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Weruva is made by the same company as BFF and is also made in Thailand, but don't let that deter you. Thailand is not the same as China. Weruva has some chicken based food and is a good break from their regular brands.

http://www.weruva.com/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM

I see your comment about not giving them Tuna /Fish is there a reason for this?

Currently Mine are on Carlyle's Just Tuna for cats, Felidae and Prescribed Dry Fibre food. Is the Tuna a long term issue (sorry to thread jack),.

But I can recommend the Felidae too, its very good!
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Well, I don't really have a reason for avoiding fish except I read in another thread that fish is a common allergen for cats. The poster recommended avoiding it if possible. Also, before Kitty was diagnosed with cancer, she was throwing up a lot. It seemed she threw up the fish flavors more. However, she has not had that problem since we started treating the cancer. They really enjoyed the Best Feline Friends Tuna and Pumpkin food that I bought to try. I think I will just bite the bullet and get some more of that brand and the Weruva. The store that sells brands those had a Living Social coupon this weekend, $20 for $40 of pet supplies. I have never seen Felidae in the stores here. I'll see if I can find it online.
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM

I got mine in a store called Global Pet Foods they had two brands, and a kitten/elderly food.

So funny about the tuna, its actually the only thing my cat wont throw up, haha!
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Some links on why feeding fish regularly isn't a good idea (and should be totally avoided in cats with urinary tract or kidney problems, allergies, and digestive issues):
http://consciouscat.net/2011/07/18/d...cat-love-fish/
http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/
http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...rous-for-cats/
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...in-source.aspx

Having said that, I do occasionally feed my younger 3 a meal with fish....like maybe a couple times a week. I think the Weruva flavours are some of the highest quality fish-based foods out there.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM

Urg! That sound so bad. Once my home made food pack comes, I think its time to turn off the Tuna. He's been sick for so long, its the only thing he will eat, its Cat Tuna, it has Vitamin E and Taurine in it so he gets some catty goodness I guess! But he actually runs to it, which I havent seen him do in a long long time.