Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 31st, 2009, 08:30 PM

RKMaine, no need to supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin or fatty acids if you're feeding j/d--it has very large quantities of both already built in. You are also helping a lot by getting the weight off your dog. If you want to do more, I would recommend asking your vet about Adequan, which is an injectible drug (made out of similar building blocks to glucosamine and chondroitin) proven to help prevent damage to cartilage and even rebuild it and the joint fluid that helps lubricate your dog's joints. It's incredibly effective. And if you're really motivated and their is a canine rehab facility near you, inquire about things like hydrotherapy (essentially exercising in water with a physical therapist), which can help a lot by building up muscle structure to support the affected joints.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM

And you don't think it's rude to slander a company with absolutely no knowledge of its product, or to insult the intelligence of veterinarians you haven't even met?

I am someone who actually has taken ag nutrition classes and is sick of seeing people make crap up about dog food.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:34 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hmmmm can't say i slandered anyone, just asked you a question

You join a forum, don't even say hi, and attack a member. Many of our members are just as well educated if not better. You know what they say about opinions and certain body parts.

You don't know any of the people who posted on here and have been extremely rude and aggressive, try talking with information and intelligence not anger and insults, might get farther.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM

P.S. Wolves are omnivores, too, obviously.

And the failure to even know that dogs aren't carnivores is one really good reason not to listen to the people at dogfoodanalysis.com. Cats are carnivores. Not dogs.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM

Lots of folks here are slandering Hill's and other dog food companies.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks. We won't believe everything we read in your post. Thanks for the warning though.

Are dogs related to bears?

From Wiki -

Dogs and bears are in the same order, Carnivora, but different families (dog is Canidae, bear is Ursidae). According to this classification, dogs and bears are no more nearly related to each other than each is to cats (order Carnivora, family Felidae).

Some taxonomists classify creatures into intermediate classifications, such as "suborders" and "suprafamilies" and such. According to some, the order Carnivora contains the suborder Feliformia (cat-like) and Caniformia. Suborder Caniformia contains the family Canidae and the infraorder Arctoidae. Infraorder Arctoide contains the superfamily Ursoidae, which contains the family Ursidae (bears) and the extinct bear-like family Hemicyonidae.

All of this is trying to say that bears and dogs are more closely related to each other than to cats, but not quite in the same family.

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

http://www.dogsobediencetraining.com...n_dog_wiki.htm

I think I will take my education from some well written, well presented research and from people I know have been feeding their dogs a healthy diet rather than from someone who wants to come on and bash us. Thanks very much though!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM

Sorry to everyone here who hasn't slandered anyone or insulted veterinarians' intelligence. I'm angry because I'm offended by people slandering others and because I don't want people to harm their poor dogs because they didn't know the facts.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbeamoron View Post
Lots of folks here are slandering Hill's and other dog food companies.
unless you work for Hills or make a kickback from them, what do you care. Either way this doesn't make being rude acceptable. It doesn't display any intelligence just hostility.
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:04 PM

Sorry to all those who haven't slandered anyone. I sound angry because I get sick of seeing/hearing the postings from those who have--and also I don't want animals harmed due to misinformation. And because I've eaten too many carbs today and not enough protein. :-)
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Dontbeamoron:

I feed my cats raw (NOT RECOMMENDED BY MY VET, btw) and canned (Instinct and Wellness). I used to feed my cats kibble and I can tell you that my cats are healthier and happier on the food not recommended by my vet. I can also tell you that my foster kittens who are fed a mostly raw diet with a bit of canned have the best physiques that vets have seen on kittens. Their muscle mass is remarkable. When the vet asks what I feed them I tell them, and then I get the lecture .

Sooooo what I am trying to say is the vets are not the best source of nutrition. Proof is right before my eyes.

As a matter of fact, while I was waiting for my Sweet Pea's bloodwork results this morning at the vets I saw a huge binder called: "Pet Nurtition" by the CVMA and Hills

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

As a matter of fact, while I was waiting for my Sweet Pea's bloodwork results this morning at the vets I saw a huge binder called: "Pet Nurtition" by the CVMA and Hills
That is the same problem that I have. I have yet to receive ANY nutrition information from my Vet that did not have the hills logo stamped on it. When they are able to present multiple independent sources, i will gladly read it. But for now, there is no way that i will be using a Hill's advertisement as nutrition info and facts...

In Russia there was no such thing as Hill's or kibble when i was growing up, pets were fed raw food, depending on what was available at the time in the markets and they lived long lives. Dogs did not have 'allergies' and chronic diareah and people didn't need to keep vets on speed dial.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Seeing as nothing that has been said here is false...... how can it be slander? All that has been said is that there is corn, grains, etc in the food. Not a terrific diet for carnivors.
I really don't see anyone slandering their vets either. All we are saying is that vets tend to believe what they are told by the pet food company. They don't do their own research.
Last year I had a kitten suffering from the runs badly. I was worried about whether or not he was going to make it. He was the runt of the litter. My vet, whom I love, recommended a human med that was supposed to help. Thanks to information I found on this site I knew the meds he was saying to use was no longer safe for pets because of an ingredient change. My vet did not know. He had been telling people to use that for years. I took him in a printout of a few different articles I found on line and he thanked me for it!
Vets are not infallible!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

At my former vet,I witnessed several times,how new kitten-owners were talked in to buying Hills,as the best possible food,in the same breath spay/neuter AND DECLAWING was suggested.
Unexperienced new owners trust their vets to want the best for the animals and do as suggested until they do their research.
I LOVE my new vet,my Vinnie is over-weight and not once did he suggest a diet-food,but to cut out dry free-feeding and keep him on Wellness no grain,canned.
Dontbeamoron,most of us here have had animals forever,I don't think anyone lack intelligence,but when it comes to what I put in to my cats,logic and common sense are my best traits
Maybe you have stock in Hills
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbeamoron View Post
I am someone who actually has taken ag nutrition classes and is sick of seeing people make crap up about dog food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Maybe you have stock in Hills
Or maybe Dontbeamoron "drank the Koolaid": http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=koolaid

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Dontbeamoron,

You are new to our forum and are welcome here...but this is a large forum with varied opinions and knowledge.

The way you have introduced yourself to our community is somewhat abrasive and I would ask that you tone it down.

If you or other members wish to respond to this point please PM me.

let's move on to the topic at hand.....

thx
Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM

I think if your dog has diabetes, he would do best on a low carb, higher protein diet.

The hill's j/d diet is more for joint and mobility problems specifically because of it's high levels of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil.

The fish oil is a good thing however the ingredients in the food are lower quality.
I would have to agree with the others here and go with a better food with better quality ingredients that is low in carbs and higher in protein for a diabetic dog.

You could still add some fish oil to the food to boost those all important omega-3's if your dog has mobility problems or not.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do humans do better on a processed food diet or a fresh produce/meat diet? Some pet food is basically a hotdog with a vitamin pill added.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Because dogs are carnivores, albeit not obligate carnivores but carnivores nonetheless, I prefer to feed a food that has quality meat protein sources. While dogs can digest a variety of grains, they do not have the grinding teeth required to successfully chew grains - which is why wolves eat the contents from the stomach and intestines of their prey. Because dogs cannot process plant protein as efficiently as meat protein, it requires the dog to ingest higher quantities of plant proteins to gain the same nutritional value. A diet that is high in grains, and therefore carbs, can lead to weight problems, lactic acid accumulates in the muscles which can lead to pain in the dog and studies show a relationship between a high carb diet and certain undesirable behaviors (much like giving kids too much sugar). These are just a few of the consequences of feeding a diet high in grains/carbs.

IMO, the AAFCO guidelines allow manufacturers to mislead the public on what is contained in their products. Dog food is not subject to the same strict labeling laws as human food is and it is up to the owners to make sense of it all. For example, a wet food labeled as "beef dinner" does not have to be primarily beef, although the label would imply that it is. Knowing how to read the label, and knowing what those ingredients really mean is the first step in being able to choose a food based on knowledge rather than relying on the cute tv commercials.