Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM

kirkland signature super premium dog food

i feed kirkland chicken end rice super premium from costco i wass told its made by diamon http://www.diamondpetfood.com/ thay make it end stamp the costco name on it. my 9 mounth lab X akita that i adopted frome my local spca end wen i first got hime at 3 mounths e wass 19 lbs poure thing wass so badly fead could se is rib cage end now is 65 lbs wonderd if its a good food i first started whit the puppy food i now mix 1/2 puppy end 1/2 adult food e is douing so great on it eats abowt 3 cups a day end poops one time a day end nice stools end not all that big amounth thanx

please excuse my french accent
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM

It's the best food for the price that there is. If you can afford better, there are better foods out there. Basically the better foods have no corn, no brewer's rice, no by-products.
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM

so i guess the only thing is the chicken by-products meal whitch is second ingredient that is not realy the beast thing no corn end breewers rice in there
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Exactly. By-products are not just beaks and feet, it's also decaying bodies and rotten meat...

I feed my dogs Solid Gold Wolf King. These are the ingredients, just to give you an idea of what a good food can look like:
Quote:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
Here are the ingredients of another good food. Wellness Super5Mix Chicken:
Quote:
Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Amaranth, Peas, Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Inulin, Fructose, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.
Personally I like foods that are fishy because they keep the coat shiny and soft.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM

mabe i should just chainge to the lamb end rice food see no by-product meal

end its to bad i dont have the labelle anemore i hem sure thers not by-product in the chicken formula if i remember corectly it starts whit chicken\chicken meal

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM

hi againe went to costco to get food for my dogs end i try the lamb rice formula buddy seem to like it alot end look at the ingrediance in the chicken end rice formula end there is no by-product in the formula ass far as the wellnes food they dont sale it here cose its not bylangual on the bag no french on it end solide gold no way to get this food arownd here dude at a pet store whanted to sell me a eagle pack fish formula for 65$ 13 killo bag wow this is creasy i wonder if it would be wise to feed one day chicken formula end the nex day lamb formula just so they have variation i would hate to eat the same thing over end over all the time!!! thanx

1 chat minoune

2 chiens buddy et kuma

Last edited by Scorp1; September 1st, 2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM
-

I know we all hear the rumors that go around regarding by products and what they consist of but from what I can see the beaks, feathers and feet are not supposed to be used and so far I haven't seen the proof that they do.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM

welp for the price this food is great. god a nothe place i went this mornin whanted to sale me pro-plan food for 55$ a bag end pro-plan ingredience suck big time first ingrediant in there is corn meal end the second is brewers rice end the place whit the eagle pack sayd i would not find ane food there cose all is food have corn end brewers rice i guess for now il stick whit the
kirkland cose ane other food arown here have corn end brewers rice
until i can find a place were they sale wellnes ur solid gold end give it a try
i dont minde paying the price for food but 65$ for 13 killo thats nuts whit 2 big dogs like i have it will cost more to feed them then it would to feed my famely lol

1 chat minoune

2 chiens buddy et kuma
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I have found the Costco food to be the best value for the money. If I had a dog that only weighed 50-70 pounds I would feed higher quality food but when you are feeding a 165 pound dog Wellness or Solid Gold runs about 200.00 a month as opposed to costco at 85.00 big difference.If you have large dogs you would understand the costs. But if you only have to buy a bag a month then go for the expensive stuff but not when you buy 2 or 3.But all said and done it is a good medium(I think it is a better than a medium but not a really high quality food)
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM

one bag kirkland 40 lbs lamb end rice cost 23.99 +tax end the chicken end rice 20.99 will cost me abowt 50$ cad tax included to feed my dogs monthly i give it a 85% on a avrage ove 100
but like i sayd the price is not realy what i wass realy consernd abowt but 65$ for 13 killo bag thats were i draw the line i wass told that you feed less whit a vary hi qualety food but you get less for yur money to

1 chat minoune

2 chiens buddy et kuma
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Fyi

I was just looking over this thread and it's great that you are happy with the Kirkland brand, but again nothing comes that cheap. If you compare the Kirkland ingredients with the wellness and solid gold you see a pretty big difference. It's not just the meat you have to look at.
The most obvious trick I see Kirkland using is filler splitting. When you see rice, or corn, or any other fill in the ingredient list but in more then one form, that is the company saying "okay there is a lot of this filler in here, but we don't want to put it at the top of the list so we are going to split it up". Namely, rice and rice flour, or corn and corn flour or gluten and the list goes on. So just know you are feeding more rice then the lamb or the chicken. And the pet will probably be fine and live its life, but if you were to put another dog of the same breed next to it, you'd notice. That's my two cents. It's unfortunate that the food companies find all these ways to trick the consumer into buying their products. At the end of the day for the most part you pay for what you get when it comes to food. I wish it weren't so b/c I have 2 big dogs and a cat, but such is life.
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM

What you are calling filler contribute important parts of a balanced diet. carbs and protein.
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp1
ass far as the wellnes food they dont sale it here cose its not bylangual on the bag no french on it
This doesn't make sense. As I feed my dog Wellness, and I live in Quebec. When a bag doesn't have french on the label, they just affix a sticker with the french translation.
Where do you live?
Old September 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7
What you are calling filler contribute important parts of a balanced diet. carbs and protein.
No, sometimes, it's just filler. Instead of righting "Wheat" they'll break it down into all the little bits (but they're still ALL in there), so that it looks like there isn't much wheat when there is. Some foods use corn gluten, which supposedly is easier to digest and is more useful for the dog, and that's fine, but to break corn down into all it's parts, or even to say "Chicken, corn meal" is pretty sneaky. The chicken is whole but the corn is dehydrated- which is there more of?

I would actually rather a food where there is no wheat nor corn, nor brewer's rice at all, not even the components. There are better things to put in dog food without resorting to corn and wheat.

And about the Wellness labels, I think it's relatively recent that we get it here in Qc- Jemma was on it when we got her and her previous owner used to order it in from Old Mother Hubbard directly.
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM

No? C'mon there Prin. Every dog needs a more or less balance of carbs, fat and protein depending on what activity they get. Wheat is a good source of simple starch. Corn gluten is protein. People should be more concerned with the quality of the ingredients and the overall ratio of essentials plus vitamins and minerals rather than get hung up on whether there is rice vs. wheat as a source of carb. What is important at the end of the day is this.
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Fiber: 5%
Moisture: 10%
And while these numbers would generally be associated with a super premium dog food that doesn't mean this dog food is right for all. You'd feed a ratio like this to an active performance level dog. Herding, hunting and sledding. Perhaps even supplement on workday with meat or fat.

If you were feeding a sprinter or something like flyball the dog needs more carbs for energy allowing explosive starts rather than fat.
But if you fed your foot-warmer pet this ratio it would get fat, and develop kidney problems from too much protein.

Quality and correct balance and there is nothing wrong with grains in petfood, as long as it is in balance.
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Ingredients of one of the top dog foods - Purpose and a Function

Anise
Anise aids in digestion and helps to eliminate gas and bloat.

Apple Pomace
Apple Pomace is high in fibre, which aids in keeping the digestive track clear. It is also a natural source of calcium, iron and Vitamins A, C, and K

Biotin
Biotin strengthens the claws and keeps them from chipping and cracking.

Brewers Rice
Brewers Rice is one of the most digestible grains available. Rice is a carbohydrate that provides a quick source of energy and good stamina.

Calcium Iodate
Calcium Iodate is a source of Iodine for proper hormone replacement that controls the metabolism.

Calcium Pantothenate`
Calcium Pantothenate is an enzyme for energy metabolism.

Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates provide quick energy and promotes healthy growth your dog needs to stay healthy.

Cassia
Cassia aids the digestive system and acts as an antiviral agent.

Chamomile
Chamomile aids the digestive system.

Choline Chloride
Choline Chloride enhances the digestive system in the stomach.

Cobalt Carbonate
Cobalt Carbonate is required for normal stomach functions and vitamin absorption.

Copper Sulphate
Copper Sulphate is essential to hemoglobin function, as well as bone growth and maintenance.

Corn Gluten Meal
Corn Gluten Meal is an excellent source of protein that gives energy.

Dried Whole Egg
Dried Whole Egg is high in protein with superior bio-availability.

Fats
Fats are essential to every cell in the body. The fat content in Whole Life will supply your pet with the energy needed for an active lifestyle.

Ferrous Sulphate
Ferrous Sulphate is an iron compound that helps prevent anaemia.

Folic Acid
Folic Acid provides the Vitamin B that helps to develop strong claws.

Fresh Chicken
Protein is the building block of life. We use these meat sources for a balanced and complete amino acid profile. Chicken and lamb are among the highest digestible proteins available.

Garlic
Garlic acts as an antibacterial agent and improves the cardiovascular system and may also enhance the immune system functions.

Horseradish
Horseradish is an antibacterial that also adds flavour to the blend.

Iron
Iron is found in Apple Pomace, Oatmeal and Ferrous Sulphate, and is an essential mineral needed to maintain a healthy metabolism.

Juniper
Juniper is a gastrointestinal antiseptic that aids in the function of the kidney.

Kelp Meal
Kelp Meal is a natural product made from Ascophyllum Nodosum seaweed that is harvested from the sea. It supplies natural vitamins and chelated minerals, which increases the immune and glandular systems and improves the digestive capacity.

Lamb Meal
Lamb Meal is an excellent source of protein. It is great for muscle development and overall body maintenance.

Lecithin
Lecithin aids in the absorption of the other ingredients in Whole Life, and helps to improve the condition of the skin and the coat.

Manganese Oxide
Manganese Oxide is an electrolyte that is essential in the maintenance of a strong body.

Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex
Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity)

Minerals
Minerals are key to building strong bones and strong teeth, maintaining balance of fluids and aiding metabolism. Important minerals include calcium, phosphorus, sodium, zinc and iron are contained in every Whole Life formula.

Natural Flavors

Niacin
Niacin is a form of Vitamin B that helps in digestion.

Oatmeal
Oatmeal supplies carbohydrates and amino acids, and is a good source of fibre. It is also high in iron.

Potassium Chloride
Potassium Chloride plays a vital role in the osmotic balance between cells and body fluids. It is the water balance in the body.

Poultry Fat
Poultry Fat makes Whole Life Pet Food highly palatable. Poultry Fat is high in Omega 6 (3.4%) and other essential fatty acids needed to develop a healthy skin and shiny coat. It also provides energy, and acts as an antioxidant.

Poultry Meal
Poultry Meal is a good source of protein and fat that provides the essential energy component, and provides the fresh meaty flavour that dogs love. It also promotes muscle, tissue, bone and teeth development.

Protein
Protein provides amino acids essential for maintaining tissue and organs. Coat hair is 95% protein. Skin cells are made up of protein and fats. The Whole Life supplies your pet with the protein needed to maintain strong bones and muscle

Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is a good source of Vitamin B6 that helps protein metabolism, and helps the formation of red blood cells.

Riboflavin
Riboflavin promotes growth and good metabolism.

Rosemary Extract
Rosemary Extract is a natural antioxidant.

Salt
Salt is a natural and necessary element in your pet’s overall health.

Sodium Selenite
Sodium Selenite is a source of selenium that acts as a biological antioxidant.

Thiamine Mononitrate
Thiamine Mononitrate is a good source of Vitamin B.

Thyme
Thyme is an overall tonic for the functions of the body.

Tomato Powder
Tomato Powder increases blood circulation and acts an antioxidant.

Vitamin A
Vitamin A

Vitamin B
Vitamin B is provided in Niacin and Thiamine Mononitrate promotes proper metabolism and appetite.

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is a source of enzymes that aid in proper growth.

Vitamin C and E
Vitamin C and E are necessary antioxidants that help to prevent the breakdown of unsaturated fatty acids which are essential for cell membrane growth and thus your pet’s growth and development in general. If unsaturated fatty acids breakdown they could affect the flavour of the food.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D helps in the absorption of the calcium.

Vitamin E
Vitamin E helps to maintain a dog’s healthy immune system. As dogs age, antioxidants like Vitamin E can help reverse the age-related decrease in immune response

Vitamins
Vitamins play an important role in enzyme reactions and metabolic functions.

Water
Water is the biggest component of blood and cells. It helps disperse heat and regulate body temperature. And it aids in digestion.

Wheat
Wheat is a far better grain to digest than corn or soybean, and using a combination of different forms of grain-ground wheat, wheat flour, wheat germ meal, and ground rice is better than using just one grain. Humans, as well as pets, have certain foods they should not eat. While a wheat base is acceptable to most dogs, it is up to each pet owner to make this determination. We purchase the grains for our dog food recipe from General Mills and Pillsbury, not directly from the farm. The cost is greater; however, we are insured of receiving the finest quality for our healthy dog food without the risk of mold or other harmful toxins.

Whole ground flax seed
Flaxseed is an excellent source of Omega-3 (0.5%) essential fatty acids, which help to keep the skin and coat in tip-top shape, and maintain lower cholesterol levels.

Yeast Culture
Yeast Culture is a beneficial bacteria that assists proper digestion.

Yucca Schidigera Extract
Yucca Schidigera Extract is an anti-inflammatory that reduces joint pain and inflammation. It also reduces urine and stool odour.

Zinc oxide
Beneficial in reproduction and healthy skin.

Zinc Proteinate
Zinc Proteinate gives your pet a healthy skin and a soft coat.
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Food and more foods to compare...

I used to believe on so many things about diet for animals, over the years though I have seen dogs on all different foods and I know of 3 people who have fed (crappy) foods like old Roy and Jappy ets.....and all three of them have had their dogs die at very old ages....and these were not Heinz 57's

1 Newfounlander was pts sleep at the ripe old age of 12.he ate old Roy
1 Afghan died at 13 yrs eatting Jappy!
1 Bouvier ate anything that was on special at the grocery store and lived to be 10 yrs....

I feed my guys/girl Nutro's but it is so unexplained as to why some dogs will live ripe old ages eating so-called crap and yet we try to feed what we believe to be the best for our pets...but who knows?
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I have sitting in front of me a bag of Kirkland Brand Super Premium Chicken and Rice that I paid $15.00 for.

The list of ingredients is as follows:
chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken far (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim mild, cranberry powder, potassium shloride, salt, sholine chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothanate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vit. B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Now, I don't know if what they sell in Canada is different, but this is pretty solid stuff and my boxer boy looks great!
Old September 25th, 2005, 01:27 AM

db7, it's hard to sift through the ingredients, when most of the info comes from the food companies themselves. Brewer's rice- the scrap from making beer. Look how it's worded:
Quote:
Brewers Rice
Brewers Rice is one of the most digestible grains available. Rice is a carbohydrate that provides a quick source of energy and good stamina.
Why not "Brewer's rice is a carb that provides [...]"? Because brewer's rice is so stripped of nutrients, that it IS easy to digest, but it does not provide the carbs that rice has. So wording it how they did doesn't make anything false. They never say the Brewer's rice is a good source of carbs. They're sneaky. Very, very sneaky.

And wheat- it can be good, just be very aware of allergies.
And Corn Gluten- I said, some people consider that good, but a lot of foods have whole corn in them broken down into the parts to hide it better.

The percentages are not enough. If your protein is coming from sources that are not metabolized, it's useless. You can eat a clump of hair and say that it's close to 100% protein, but NONE of that will go into muscle/tissue repair, energy, or other necessary metabolites. It will likely just end up in the feces as HAIR. Same with whole corn.

A while ago, I did a LOT of math on another thread in which I calculated approximately how much protein would come from corn if it was a main ingredient. If I remember properly, about 75% of the protein in the food I was looking at came from corn and by-products, while about 25% was from real meat. I did estimate a lot of numbers in favor of the grains, and it came out cruddy anyway.

I don't want my dogs getting the major part of their protein from a veggie or grain. They're dogs. Granted, I have seen dogs eat corn, but most seem to really prefer meat, and actually seem to digest meat better than corn (even humans have a hard time with corn). And there are better foods out there right? You just have to feed the best you can, and for me, that's no wheat, no corn, no brewer's rice, no soy, no by-products. As I learn more, I will constantly add to that list and become more and more selective of my doggies' food.

I had a dobie who lived till 13 on Dog Chow, and a lab who lived till 14 on grocery store no-name food. We had a newf who lived till 16 on crap food too. For me, it's not how long they lived, but how long they could have lived, and how much better their quality of life could have been. If they were on great food, and there was as big a difference in health as I have seen in my dogs after switching from Euk to Solid Gold, how much longer could they have lived? You know? I wonder.

Last edited by Prin; September 25th, 2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old September 25th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Performance Spaniels

It's like people food..

Brown rice, wild rice, oatmeal.. they are all better for you than all the types of white rice avalible.. So while a filler is needed.. I'd rather it be healthier. There seems to be a link between white rice and its subsidiary products and diabites potentially.

As long as I can afford a food that is white rice and corn free, I'd choose it first.. Most food that contains both usually has other less than quality ingredients too.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Agility Addict

Dodger tried Costco's brand "Chicken and Rice" after reading that it was the best food for a cheap price. Dodger hates it. When it came time to eat Costco food on its own, he wouldn't go near his bowl for hours. Only when he was starving did he resign himself to eating it.

I also found it too stinky to keep in the office, I ended up stashing it in the crawl space because I could stand it!!
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM

I used to feed my dog Kirklands. I only switched him because his stools were very soft. It's a good food for those no willing or who cannot afford to feed super premium foods, but it all depends on the dog, of course.

My cat still eats the kirklands cat food.

And, I agree, it is very stinky. No doubt that's due to the fat sprayed on it to make it palatable, like almost all dog foods.

lol, I always laugh at that cat food commerical (tempations?) where they say something like "..all [kibble pieces] are double basted in natural juices.' That just means they get sprayed with rancid fat while going down a converyer belt so that cats will want to eat a wad of processed grains. But the advertisers make it sound so romantic.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:05 AM
-

There may be some exceptions but the rule of thumb is if it is advertised it is probably not all that good and we all know that if you can purchase the food at the grocery store, stay away from it.
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Kirkland is allright

I have 2 very large dogs.1 is a 2 year old 100+ pound American Staff, the
other a 18 month old 140 pound African Boerbol.
As pups, I fed both dogs a diet of raw poultry, organ meats and raw meaty
bones.I also supplemented with minerals and vitamins as well as eggs.
Both dogs did great on the raw diet, but it became tedious as both dogs are verry picky eaters.
I turned to prepared kibble to ease the task. First up was Abbady, wich did not work at all. It was giving the dogs very loose stools.At first I figured it was the diet change, but after 4 weeks it was the same story.I susspect it was 2 rich in protein.The salty flavor (due to the Menhadden Fish) also made them drink massive amounts of water, which of course increased the amount of trips outside to pee.
Next was Wellness and I must say that overall it is a good feed. The Boerbol took to it like a champ, but my Bully had to adjust. Somthing about it still had his stool a little on the soft side. Aside from that he addapted and started to do very well as far as physical appearance and over all health. So next was a food recomended by a breeder friend called Health Extension. A good food, but the dogs hated the taste. In a pinch 1 day I picked up a bag of Kirkland super premium chicken, I must say I am impressed. It has been 2 months since I started feeding and both dogs are doing very well on it. The great thing is that thier stools are compact and firm, and they seem to enjoy taste of kibble.
In closing, most of the premium dog foods are good, but results vary from dog to dog. If you are happywith Kirkland stick with it. Just stay away from the garbage ladden BHA/BHT containing commercial crap (i.e. Iams. Eukanuba, Pedigree, ...).
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:26 AM

Keep in mind that the beet pulp is a stool hardener that could be making the stool harder even if it shouldn't be. In my opinion, soft stool on a more natural food, like Wellness, can be worked around and fixed, and is not necessarily a symptom of anything (it could be from feeding too much). But just as a soft stool might not be any indication, a hard stool might not be either. As soon as stool hardeners are thrown in the mix, using the stool as a way of judging health is basically useless unless the dog is very, very sick.

Just so you know. Kirkland is ok, but it's not as good as Wellness and others of that range. If you have picky beasties, next time try Solid Gold Wolf King. Get a sample from wherever you bought your Wellness. Most, if not all, the picky eaters I have recommended it to wolf it down.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Prin, where do you buy Solid Gold in Montreal? I have been looking for it and can't find it anywhere.

I had my cats and my dogs on Kirkland Signature and neither of them did well on it. The dogs were on the Lamb and Rice because Benny is allergic to chicken. Sopie did alright on it, but it made Benny sick. I did the switch very slowly because I know he is sensitive and he still barfed every morning. I now have them on a combination of Holistic Blend and Nutro Lamb and rice and he seems fine.
As for the cats they did very poorly on the Kirkland Signature. I noticed that Minew had WAY less energy than before, and Tobey had chunks of hair falling out. The others had lots of dandruff and dull coats while they were on it. Just my 2 cents.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM

I buy it in the west island at Woofers on Sources just north of the 40. You can also get it at Le Reveil Du Maitre on St-Laurent blvd just below little Italy (and I think there's one on St-Jean too). Otherwise, Club K-9, which is at 6004 Sherbrooke St. West, has some kinds but not all types of solid gold...

Good luck.
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Afte reading up on all the info on this board about dog food, I;ve decided to change Max's food. He's been on IAMS since we got him 4 years ago.

I really didn't know IAMS was bad. I don't know why it's bad or what BHT/something is, but I'll take everyone's word for it.

I've been nervous about changing his food because I'm not sure how he'll react to something new, in terms of upset stomach or allergies that we may not know about.

Anyway, I just bought KIRKLAND SIGNATURE Lamb and rice and was told by someone (not on this board) that giving a dog lamb on such a regular basis was not a good idea. They couldn't tell me why so I thought perhaps someone here may be able to give some insight.

Is it ok to give my dog Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice, twice a day?
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM
-

The standard for dog food is chicken. There is very liitle difference between the two but if you were to stay with chicken and your dog did develop allergies then the lamb would be the next choice.
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Lamb can also be more fattening if you have a dog who is not very active. I feed Bud Kirkland Chicken the lamb is too rich for him and he is not very active. I did feed Solid Gold to start but the Buddy had the worst gas the room clearing kind. I think as long as you feed the best you can afford and it is not loaded with crap and most importantly it works for your dog then that is what really matters.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog