Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

CMT Canada-A puppy show?

http://www.cmt.ca/puppy

Saw this on a commercial & saw a LIL red wondering how this will play out?

PICK A PUPPY

Are you crazy for puppies? Are you planning on getting a new addition to your family in the next 6 months? Do you need help finding the perfect pet?

If you answered ‘yes', apply today for CMT's "Pick A Puppy"- the show that matches families with their ideal furry companion.

CMT is in search of families, couples, and singles who are chomping at the bit to bring home a furry new friend. We are looking for people who are outgoing, enthusiastic animal lovers who have a story to tell. You must be comfortable appearing on camera.

If selected, we will provide you with guidance in finding a puppy to suit your needs and budget - and we'll help you out welcoming your new little pal into your home.

To be considered, please answer the following questionnaire, and include a photo of your family.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

They help pick a puppy to fit a budget???
Not sure I understand that comment...are there set budgets per breed? Gee wish someone would've told me that...I would've chose a "cheaper" breed.
I like the idea of rescue shows, highlighting the work they and their volunteers do, and how they select homes and such. But I have to wonder, how many ppl signing up are really in it for a dog and not their "15 minutes of fame"? No matter how strict the screening there are always those that will say all the right things to get their mug on tv.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM

Saw it, it's pretty awful. Famlies, usually with a cute little kid, visit 3 breeders and are shown prospective pups. One such family was looking at Malamutes and were not told about the physical demands of the breed. The breeders don't give all the info required re; their breed, just the good stuff. It's more like a sellers' showcase than anything else. Bad, bad, bad, all the way around.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I've seen it too and you are not shown the way the puppies or mom lives or the dad in most cases.
They could all be BYB and not somthing that should be encouraged with a TV show,IMO.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM

Not only are a lot of the 'breeders' byb's, but they even show mixed mutts!
It's all about what pup the kid likes, NOT which breed will best suit the family. True, we only see what they show on tv so we don't know that the breeders DON'T give out any breed info, but it just looks like a very superficial way to get a family member.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

BYBs must love this show.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Doggie Wench

I can't comment on the regular episodes as I haven't seen them. From what I'm reading here, I'm afraid another fad is about to begin.

I did, however, see the episode online with a family looking to adopt a rescue. That one, I'm a bit on the fence with. A comment made by the last foster person about dogs from rescues being better than dogs from shelters had me a bit miffed. I did appreciate the explanations provided about rescues organizations and the dogs they care for. My largest concern about that particular episode was how the children had their faces right in the faces of the dogs they just met, how they were allowed to hug them immediately, and how it was explained the dogs were enjoying it when clearly they were sending all sorts of calming signals. I think it was pretty irresponsible of all the adults concerned.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I can't comment on the regular episodes as I haven't seen them. From what I'm reading here, I'm afraid another fad is about to begin.

I did, however, see the episode online with a family looking to adopt a rescue. That one, I'm a bit on the fence with. A comment made by the last foster person about dogs from rescues being better than dogs from shelters had me a bit miffed. I did appreciate the explanations provided about rescues organizations and the dogs they care for. My largest concern about that particular episode was how the children had their faces right in the faces of the dogs they just met, how they were allowed to hug them immediately, and how it was explained the dogs were enjoying it when clearly they were sending all sorts of calming signals. I think it was pretty irresponsible of all the adults concerned.
A fad indeed. Get ready for more fosters LP.

I did not see the epidsode. I saw the trailer and that was enough for me. Interesting...about 'up front and close'. I will try this calming technique on the next evaluation for the next dog for rescue status.. Will let you know if this works LP. I am sure you will want to try this on your fosters as well..
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM

LP
Lucky those kids didn't get bit!
Grr humans!
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Cute kids and puppies. Some people will exploit anything for a buck, espcially for tv ratings.
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I've seen it too and you are not shown the way the puppies or mom lives or the dad in most cases.
They could all be BYB and not somthing that should be encouraged with a TV show,IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
BYBs must love this show.
Could not agree more! I've seen this show a few times and it hasn't impressed me one bit. I don't have an issue with REPUTABLE breeders (I'd prefer people adopt), but I haven't seen a single 'breeder' explain what makes them reputable, WHY that's so important etc. etc.

Why not a show that showcases a different shelter each week and matching families up with dogs that are DYING for a home?

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama