Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Can't "Get over it"...

I read in another thread someone said "animals die get over it" or something similar.
I have been absent from Pets the last few days, because I witnessed something the other day that has put me into a tailspin of depression.
I went out to do some "craft shopping", and then heading back to High River I was dreading going home. I had been cooped up during the latest cold snap, my arthritis acting up horribly. So I was enjoying being out for a bit.
I decided that instead of heading home I would take a drive.
Heading out towards Longview, I noticed something on the road. I slowed down, and pulled up alongside and realized it was a beautiful cat.
She had been hit, but was still alive, howling in pain. She was a beautiful chocolate/cream colored cat (sorry the only way I can describe). She had on a gorgeous collar, with a little red bell attached.
I was beside myself, she was crying and I could see her hind end was mangled beyond repair. She was bleeding heavily.
I keep an emergency kit in the car, so I took out the blanket, and laid it over the cat, stroking it's head. Knowing the cat was going to die either way, I scooped it up into my arms, and got back in my car.
I cradled her for what seemed an eternity but was only 2-5 minutes at most, before she stopped breathing. All I could do was hold her, rocking back and forth in the drivers seat, crying and telling her how sorry I was, and that she was going to go to a better place where the pain would be gone..yes I believe full heartedly in "The Bridge".
She died in my arms, I can only hope that she felt my heart was with her in those moments that we shared.
I have held other animals in my arms as they passed away, I will never get over it, just as I know I will never get over holding this tiny beautiful baby in my arms as she passed either.
I can't get her face out of my mind, I haven't slept in three nights, I can't stifle the tears or the sadness.
I keep thinking I should've rushed her to a vet, but deep in my heart I knew she wasn't going to live long enough for me to make it back to town.
I have driven this road a lot, and I have yet to see an animal besides the cows in the fields, she did not appear to be a barn cat let alone a farm cat, so I can't help but wonder if she was dumped out there.
Unfortunately, it happens far to often out here by High River, ppl dumping their animals to fend for themselves...
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)