Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:56 PM

How to Convince My Family Our New Hamster is Not Entertainment?

Our family recently got a pet hamster about 3 days ago and while I was excited and all, I was disappointed at the care it was given.
I want to tell my family that a pet hamster is a COMMITMENT and RESPONSIBILITY, not a source of ENTERTAINMENT. And eventually in the future, all our hard work will be rewarded and not just handed to us as the hamster slowly starts to trust us and also enjoy it's time as part of the family.
It angers me that we've made many mistakes the second the hamster was brought back home. Before getting our hamster, I don't think much research was taken in for consideration. It was just one day, my little sister asked for a hamster and the next, we got it. The night and morning right before we got our hamster, I did as much research as I could. Based on that, I've compiled a short list of things we've did wrong and the any consequences which could result from them.
Please correct me if any of these are not accurate, any info is much appreciated.
Mistake: Not giving the hamster any time to adjust to its surroundings as my parents invited any close relatives to come take a look and repeatedly bothered it in its sleep.
Consequence: This could make the our hamster more stressed which could lead to a wide variety of illnesses and make it harder to gain trust and tame.
M: Not giving the minnimum cage space for our hamster. (In my knowledge that's 360 square inches but we've only given our hamster, I estimated about 150 square inches.)
C: This is considered animal cruelty as we didn't meet the requirements and a small and cramped space leads to many bad behaviours as I've noticed already, cage biting.
M: Giving it, I suspect, a little too much to eat.
C: We have a dwarf hamster and I know they're prone to diabetes which leads to medical bills and more inconvenience.
M: Impaitience, as my little sister thinks that after a set number of days it'll just like her just like that, I'm trying my best to teach her otherwise.
C: Stress buildup for the hamster which could lead to waiting even more for any likability to occur.
Why I can't voice these out to my parents as I'm not the most verbal one in the family and there's a slight language barrier. I've voiced these out to my two siblings, but the older one was traumatized my animals at a young age, and the younger one just has a difficult time comprehending it.
Also, by my observations, I suspect my parents got a hamster as a way for us to get off our electronics less and to play with it more. Once I've suggested a bigger cage, but they just dismissed it as being an inconvenience to us. Even thought I was too scared to tell them this in fear of them snapping at me, I know owning any kind of pet requires sacrifices and there is no excuse for us to be treating it any less than a newborn or an actual, living thing with feelings and experiences like us.
I fear they'll say that as this is our first hamster, there's no need to go for those heights and keep it low and easy, but that doesn't give us an excuse to be treating the hamster like a thing, a toy, it deserves just as much care as we do.
I'm sorry if this sounds overly snobby or bratty in any way and if there are numerous mistakes in grammar and composition. I'm an adolescent, there are things that I do that I don't know why I do and emotions cloud any reason which could form from it.
Any help is greatly appreciated, for me and my hamster both.
Old April 28th, 2016, 11:20 AM

I can understand you, but have you tried talking to your family and show them the stuff you read about how to properly raise an hamster? This is the first thing i would do. If this doesnt help, i suggest bringing your family to a pet doctor. Mabye an authority person has a greater impact on your families behaviour.

Tags
care, family, hamster, issues