Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

hedgehog?

Was in the petstore the other day (yeah I know..dangerous place for an animal lover like me). they had these teeny tiny hedgehogs.They claimed they were not babies, but more like teenager age...but I think they were babies. Anyways...I was wondering if anyone on here has owned one, what thier care is like..ect? Just out of curiosity. I went to pick one up . it jumped, and put its spikes up. I jumped because i wasnt expecting it, and I drew back a bloody finger. OWIE! although...compared to the birdbites I've gotten..no big. But..I wonder...how do you get around the "not so cuddlyness" of them"..as I am a petter and a cuddler. If I cant "pet" it...or ..mess with it..I'm not sure I want it. But I am morbidly curious over them..as people swear they make great pets.
I also HELD a groundhog. REALLY. I did. It actually went to sleep in my arms. Have no intention of bringing one home as they like to "escape" thier dwelling and I could just see one of our "dach" having a groundhog "snack". But..anyways.
hedgehog anyone???
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Skylar's Farm

I do believe that what you saw were the domesticated African Pygmy hedgehog which has been bred for the pet industry for many years now.

Quite a while ago I had 3 of them and enjoyed them, but it is wise to get a youngster that you can more easily work with. A bit of handling every evening would go a long way in having a hedgie become more tame.
They like to sleep alot during the day, and love to have a large place to forage.
During warmer weather a plastic kiddie pool works fine indoors because it gives lots of space.
These animals sometimes get skin mites which we used to treat with ivermectin.

They love to eat LIVE insects, crunching on June bug beetles, mealworms, etc.
A daily base food is usually something like a low fat-high quality cat kibble, supplemented with bits of fruit and veg.
I'm sure there is more up to date info on web sites.
Hedgies can live for a few years, make fun pets and are quiet, no fur shedding either.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
I do believe that what you saw were the domesticated African Pygmy hedgehog which has been bred for the pet industry for many years now.

Quite a while ago I had 3 of them and enjoyed them, but it is wise to get a youngster that you can more easily work with. A bit of handling every evening would go a long way in having a hedgie become more tame.
They like to sleep alot during the day, and love to have a large place to forage.
During warmer weather a plastic kiddie pool works fine indoors because it gives lots of space.
These animals sometimes get skin mites which we used to treat with ivermectin.

They love to eat LIVE insects, crunching on June bug beetles, mealworms, etc.
A daily base food is usually something like a low fat-high quality cat kibble, supplemented with bits of fruit and veg.
I'm sure there is more up to date info on web sites.
Hedgies can live for a few years, make fun pets and are quiet, no fur shedding either.

THANK YOU BINA,
I did do a bit of googling after posting this. It seems there are several "hedgie" enthusiasts out there. People claim they make really lovely pets, and that you can make them guite tame and "cuddly" (well as cuddly as something with spikes can be...lol) with time and patience.
I'm going to research and THINK on it awhile.
I'm sure cost wise its feasable. as they seem to be fairly low maintance (from what I"ve read so far). I think my only "issue' is I'd rather get one from a "breeder" and not a pet store...as they are more reputable and they are more "handled" than the petstores.
But..I'm not sure if there are any in this area. . We'll see. I'll keep ya posted.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

UM. Scratch that. I stand corrected. Apparently they are not as "easy" as I first read. I've been reading for the last few hours...and according to a few other "enthusiasts" they are not as cheap or easy as one would think.
Still "thinking" on it.
LOL...but definatly not as 'excited" about the idea now.
I'm pretty full attention and money wise with the five pups.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM

Hedgies do make wonderful animal companions. When they are used to you those quills no longer stand up and are quite pleasant to touch. Their undersides are covered with a soft fur and their faces are to die for.

http://youtu.be/nw-IAYxu5uo

They are more of an intermediate pet. Not something for someone who has never cared for a companion animal before.

Cost wise they aren't bad. You'll spend more on them then you would on a hamster, but it isn't unreasonable either. It depends on the type of shavings you decide to keep him/her on as well as how much fresh food you decide to give.
Their feces is moist and they don't tend to be overly tidy, so you'll have to do a full clean of the cage more often.

If you haven't already read it, be sure if you do decide to get one that you get a plastic wheel. They tend to injure themselves on the metal wheels commonly used for pocket pets. Saucer wheels or plastic Chinchilla wheels are much safer for Hedgie use.

Hedgies have different personalities. So if you do decide to get one go to multiple breeders if thats what it takes. Find one that doesn't take long to uncurl(if it does ball up when you pick it up), also check the quills. They shouldn't move too easily, as well if you lightly pull on them they shouldn't pull out (if they do check if there is a folicle on the end, if there is a follicle and it is a young Hedgie its probably just quilling) Check the eyes and nose for discharge.

I don't know if any of this info was helpful to you. You've probably already read all this since you've been doing some research, but I figured it couldn't hurt
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
Hedgies do make wonderful animal companions. When they are used to you those quills no longer stand up and are quite pleasant to touch. Their undersides are covered with a soft fur and their faces are to die for.

http://youtu.be/nw-IAYxu5uo

They are more of an intermediate pet. Not something for someone who has never cared for a companion animal before.

Cost wise they aren't bad. You'll spend more on them then you would on a hamster, but it isn't unreasonable either. It depends on the type of shavings you decide to keep him/her on as well as how much fresh food you decide to give.
Their feces is moist and they don't tend to be overly tidy, so you'll have to do a full clean of the cage more often.

If you haven't already read it, be sure if you do decide to get one that you get a plastic wheel. They tend to injure themselves on the metal wheels commonly used for pocket pets. Saucer wheels or plastic Chinchilla wheels are much safer for Hedgie use.

Hedgies have different personalities. So if you do decide to get one go to multiple breeders if thats what it takes. Find one that doesn't take long to uncurl(if it does ball up when you pick it up), also check the quills. They shouldn't move too easily, as well if you lightly pull on them they shouldn't pull out (if they do check if there is a folicle on the end, if there is a follicle and it is a young Hedgie its probably just quilling) Check the eyes and nose for discharge.

I don't know if any of this info was helpful to you. You've probably already read all this since you've been doing some research, but I figured it couldn't hurt

Thank you digston.
You gave some very good insight and are correct on your info. I found a hegie website with all and more of the info you suggested and am very in love with the "idea" of the hedgie...but not so sure on the "work" and the "vet costs" should hedgie get sick or need extra "time" ect. If I didnt have but one pup, and so forth..i'd be getting a hedgie TODAY..lol. But...I'm realistic..that I want to spend TIME with a pet I have, and have the PROPER equipment to care for it ect. Money contraints and time contraints ect..right now would make me a "midway" parent to a hedgie right now instead of a "great" hedgie parent.
I feel it wouldnt be in his/her best interest at THIS time right now.
Later on..maybe.
But for now..we've got our hands full.
We've had hamsters in the past...and quite frankly were delighted in thier personality's. So if a hedgie has half thier personality. I look forward to maybe one day in the future adding a hedgie to the clan.
But for now..I'll just have the doxies..and the outside kitty and possum. HA!
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I owned and rescued hedgies for years, they are great pets, loving, clingy, the kids loved them, feeding them was easy, cleaning even easier (litter trained) and the "snuffling" sound they'd make when up against your neck was heaven sent *S*.