Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM

Finally a breakthrough!

So I said I would keep you all posted on the transition from dry to wet for my two cats... that was over 2 months ago. There was really nothing to report until September.

First few attempts (early July):
In July, I wasted many cans where they just sniffed to wet food, but didn't eat it.

Late July:
I then stuck some snacks (Whiskas Temptations, they got nuts over them) into the wet food and they managed to puck them out (same result with dry food in the wet). Any kibble deeply bruried, they wouldn't bother trying to dig them out. They did seem to like the oils in the wet food. So at this point they just lick the wet food, but won't eat it.

Early to mid August:
I starve them for like 12 hours and then only put out wet food. They only lick the oils off the food... I leave out a wet food buffet (3 dishes, 3 different flavors), but they wouldn't let me sleep until they got some dry food.

I see that they like catnip, so I put some on the wet food... big mistake... let's just say if you want cat food smeared all over the floor, then try this.

Beginning of September:
They get neutered and stay over night at the vet. I take some time off from transitioning to wet, as they had some trouble with the neutering. Started again a week after. To my surprise, they ate all of it! WHAAA?!? No coaxing, no starving needed. Turns out that during their stay at the vet, they were given both wet and dry food. The vet told me the first day, they only ate the dry, but the second day, they ate the wet. There were lots of other cats there, so the vet thinks it was a simple case of "monkey see, monkey do".

It's been a week or so now and so far so good! I still feed them dry during the day as they still have the habit of snacking throughout the day, instead of eating at specific times. BTW, they are eating Wellness canned for wet and Wellness Kitten formula for dry.

Next challenge: Fatten up Azrael (6lbs) while putting Kyuubi on a diet (11lbs)! Since they are only about 8 months old... should I wait a little longer before putting my cat on a diet (is he too young)? Should I switch from the high fat kitten formula to just regular for the dry food as a simple way to get Kyuubi's weight under control? Yeah I know I should only serve them wet, but I'm just happy they are eating wet.
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantastic that they've warmed up to the idea of canned food. How much canned and how much dry are they eating per day? Can you ever so slowly decrease the amount of kibble left out? I wouldn't switch from the kitten formula, it's lower in carbs than the regular. I would just feed less (or none). If Azrael needs to gain weight, perhaps you can slip him a little extra food when Kyuubi isn't looking. He might also just fill out naturally on his own accord.

One more thing, you don't have to feed the canned just at set meal times, you can leave it out for free-feeding.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Fantastic!!! It's great they finally decided they like the wet. on being persistant.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
I see that they like catnip, so I put some on the wet food... big mistake... let's just say if you want cat food smeared all over the floor, then try this.
LOL

Glad to hear it's finally working out for you!

(Note to self: start feeding wet right away when I eventually adopt some kittens - it sounds like it's often really hard to switch! Congrats to you for being so patient! )
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Live well, laugh often

Great news, their health will benefit greatly in the long run .
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That's great news, Joeyjoejoe . I wouldn't worry too much about fattening up a kitten, some will fill out on their own when they mature at 18 months, like sugarcatmom stated, slip him something a little extra on the side.

You may find that Kyuubi will loose weight on his own while on canned food. I know my daughter's cats did as did my Jasper.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

Kyuubi loves to eat... and is lazy (a true Garfield in the making). I wouldn't say he's fat (yet), but he's definitely soft all over. Length-wise, Kyuubi is slightly longer than Azrael, but nearly double his weight.

Their diet is basically 1/2 cup dry in the morning. 2/3 cup wet around 5pm and the rest of the wet at around midnight with about 1/2 cup of dry with snacks every so often. Both cats don't eat much per food bowl visit... but Kyuubi just makes more trips (probably as high as a 3:1 ratio to Azrael's trips). It seems like Kyuubi is the food bully, but it's the other way around. Whenever both are eating at the same time, Azrael would push Kyuubi out of the way. Not in an aggressive manor, but definitely rude by human standards. Usually, I would see leftover wet and dry. I have to assume that it means both are getting their fill.

I think the next goal is to get them to only eat at specific times. This stops the repeated trips for more food.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
I think the next goal is to get them to only eat at specific times. This stops the repeated trips for more food.
You know, I wouldn't force the issue. Cats are natural "grazers", eating frequent small meals per day. It's more in tune with how their metabolism works (never slows down). I still say just slowly feed less dry, and leave out more wet. They can graze on the wet.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler